All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Question about making a drain for my peerless 814

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
83ratrodmurray
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:43 pm

The Peerless 814 trans in my murray gets submerged under water in the creek I ride in a lot. It gets water inside it so rather than take the trans out and split it open every week, I want to make a drain. So my question is where should I put this drain, and how should I make it? I don't want it to stick off the bottom of the case because it would get ripped off pretty quickly. I also plan to make a vent in the top and add a grease port.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

Forum Rep : 14

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Drain it out the vent.

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Maybe on the back of the bottom case so you can just tip the front of the tractor up and have it come out. Sounds like you need some axle seals and rtv the case seals.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:57 pm

yeah seems like having any kinda water get in your case is a bad idea and best prevented!
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Drill and tap a pipe plug for drain.

It's not easy sealing up most of these transaxles, usually you still have a spot for water to enter.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Make damn good and sure you're drilling a thick area of the casting!

You may be better to just get an oil extractor, and draw it out thru the vent. PITA, but safe.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 pm

im sure the axle seals are bad and I plan on getting new ones this summer but the reason it gets water in it is because when I took the trans apart for the first time the snap ring that held the gear onto the end of the input shaft was damaged so I welded the gear back on. because of this, if I torque down the case bolts the gear teeth don't have enough lash and the trans locks up. I put on a thick coat of gasket maker to let the gears move properly, which allows water to get in around the axles. I plan on getting a new input shaft assembly soon though.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 7

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 am

Grinding a bit off the end of the input shaft may give you the lash you need
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about making a drain for my peerless 814   

Back to top Go down

Question about making a drain for my peerless 814
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1