All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark288
Mark288

Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Empty
PostSubject: Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck   Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 11:39 pm

Hey guys i got a 6spd spicer 4360 or somethen like tht i like the transmission but my mud tractor has been sitting since its winter and im snowmobiling not tractoring but i started it and my shifter is stuck. It wont shift unless u use 2 hands and u can pull the whole tractor sideways the shifter is locked so hard..i know i need to take the tranny apart to adjust and grease the shifter keys and that little ball bearing thing but the problem is i have to take my 27" atv tires off to get it off and my keyways are sheared like they wedged themselves completly in on a angle between the rim and axle and the rim wont budge on or off...what should/can i do about that? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck   Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 2:38 am

flip it on it's side and remove the trans with the tires still on it. a quick run to anywhere that has a press is your best bet. It's that, or cut the rim hubs and replace the rims. 27 inch tires are a LOT to ask from a small keyway... maybe while you have it out you can cut the shaft for a bigger key (rims will need the same key cut in the hub.)
Ideally, you would have shaft and hubs splined.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck   Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 6:36 am

Was your shifter like that when you parked it? If not, one of two things has occurred: Water ingress turned to ice and she's frozen, or rust got the better of things and jammed it up that way. You could try putting a halogen lamp underneath it for a few hours to see if you can defrost it...
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck   Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 9:51 am

ditto on the splined thing most of your heavy duty tractors have splined axles some are splined and keyed lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck   Transaxle - Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sheared the keyways side ways on my transaxle and shifter stuck
Page 1 of 1