All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair

Go down 
+2
Moose
T-Dub13
6 posters
AuthorMessage
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Empty
PostSubject: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 12:54 pm

So, My tire went flat last week.  I didn't know why.  I found out why when I took it apart though!  No mystery here...  The Previous owner must have used a pitch fork and a hammer to install this tire.  The bead is shredded and the metal bead wire has rusted and broken.

This would usually spell Death for a tire, but I'm way too cheap to let this one go to the bone yard without at least a good effort to save it.

Shredded Bead
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 11_zpseaf45bfe

Starting repair with Galvanized Steel wire.
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 10_zps92e123f1

Wired and ready to be gooped up.
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 6_zps072af817

Another pic of the stitch job.
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 5_zps21879969

Ooops!  There's a hole down at the opposite side that I didn't even notice!
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 9_zps2095c54b

And finally ready for the super secret tire repair goop lol.
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 1_zpsc18e02c1

I used vulcanizing tire repair cement for a first layer, then built it up with a thicker layer of Shoe Goo!
tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair 3_zpsbf3ceff3

I hope this repair holds the bead together well enough to prevent further damage to the tire and not let the bead wire puncture the tube again.  I do plan on layering the Shoe Goo up until the repair is nice and smooth.  I'll report back on the performance of the repair in a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 12:59 pm

I have seen people use the conveyer belt staples to do that for forklift tires after I blew them out lifting a little more than they were rated for :p
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 3:54 pm

I have used shoe goo and the dollar store brand called amazing GOOP. Both work well. When filling a tire with expanding foam (as Darin is fond of doing) a bead of shoe go as it seats will prevent the tire from slipping in the rim.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 5:24 pm

Wow- you SERIOUSLY do not want to throw out that tire!!! Good on ya man- keep us posted on how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 6:56 pm

Maybe put some black RTV on so it matches. Thats what I use for light rubber repair.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2014, 10:18 am

Cool! I may have to do this on my ATV; The bead is busted on it. I repaired it by removing the loose wire and added caulk, but I think it popped the tube.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2014, 10:26 am

Well, so-far so-good!  I've taken the tractor out for some high speed runs and also de-thatched the lawn last night.  Still holding air and the bead hasn't disintegrated yet.   Cool Cool

B440: Don't cut the frayed bead wires! You need them to maintain the bead "hoop strength". Without wires going fully around the bead, there's nothing solid holding the bead in the rim and it could expand and work it's way off the rim.

That's why I left mine intact and just bound them up tight as possible to try and lock them back together with friction and adhesive.

The reason mine were all broken was somewhat because of the last installer breaking them, but also they did rust a lot. I think there were some intact on the last install, but they rusted away because they were exposed. That's where the shoe goo came into play!  Cool Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair   tire - T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-Dub's Tire Bead Repair
Page 1 of 1