All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

B&S carb mixture screw. Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerB&S carb mixture screw. Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

B&S carb mixture screw.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
TokyoDrift99

Forum Rep : 0

B&S carb mixture screw. Empty
PostSubject: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Hey guys, I am working on getting a 18hp opposed twin briggs (horizontal shaft) running. I took off the carb, disassembled it, cleaned it and during the process of reassembling it I realized I had no idea how many turns I should put the mixture screw in. I took it apart without counting the turns, and now I'm dead in the water. Does anybody know the stock settings? I have no idea what the model number is, I couldn't find one. Is there any way to find out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
B&S carb mixture screw. Ul6Jai0
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Veteran
Veteran
Lawren Wimberly

Forum Rep : 13

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 pm

put them all the way in, then back them back out a turn and a half.... start there and adjust as needed

Tech Manual mod, If ya need it, and cant find it... Just ask.... Pm if I'm not on line
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert
willis923

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:53 pm

x2 on lawren. generally, if that wont start it, i back it out 1/4 turn at a time until it starts, and go from there

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

B&S carb mixture screw. Pbucket

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Regarding the model number- yes and no. The Type and Code numbers are pretty much anybody's guess, but the actual model number is sweet and easy. The format will resemble 421707. First two digits are displacement in cubic inches, the rest describe engine features. Have a look here- http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/~/media/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/Engine/Numerical%20Designation%20System.pdf

So in my example above (421707) the engine would be a 42 cubic inch Thus, 18hp or variant of same), Vertical crank, Plain bearing, splash lube, electric start with alternator.

Now, i believe your TYPE would be above 1100, because i see by your intake manifold that you have a second generation twin, but an earlier second gen because of the adjustable high speed needle on the carb.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Veteran
Veteran
Ariens YT11

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 pm

What the others said, but generally its 2 whole turns to run, 2 1/2 is running good but, some times 3 whole turns works better, it all depends on your elevation and climate.
This is spaciicly on the fuel mixture screw.
Back to top Go down
http://pmwcm.forumotion.com/
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I hope I didn't cock myself over because the thing has been sitting for years, but it ran when put away so there is hope.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert
willis923

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 8:50 am

nah, it'll run, just a matter of caressing it right. give it proper fuel, give it proper air, and it will run

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

B&S carb mixture screw. Pbucket

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Good to hear.
Back to top Go down
the54
Apprentice
Apprentice
the54

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 pm

The book calls for 2 1/2 turns out from all the way in. When your screwing it in be sure to NOT forcefully screw it. Do it slowly until it gently stops.

Start at 2 1/2 turns out run it to operating temp ( 10 minutes ) then let it idle and adjust it slowly outwards and if the RPM's drop, go inwards until you find the spot where it idles the highest then once you find it, back it out 1/4 turn so its not too lean.

The idle mixture isn't as critical as the main jet mixture. One stupid thing about these carbs is that it uses a set main jet. Meaning it cant be adjusted. So depending your altitude it might not even run right.

Hope all goes well!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:39 am

Good news, I got it running, 2 turns out seemed to work fen
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
Apprentice
Apprentice
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 am

beg my pard, I meant to say fine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B&S carb mixture screw.   B&S carb mixture screw. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

B&S carb mixture screw.
Page 1 of 1