All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Speed Build

Go down 
+8
DICE464
redneckcarrow
Jamus
redneckrob
dangeroustoys56
Jordan
redzz02
noledroByrreK
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Jordan

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2011, 5:32 pm

you might have problems hooking up steering when you do that
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2011, 6:19 pm

yea but i would have the same problems with my old idea... ill have to decide nextime im in the shop
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2011, 6:42 pm

Ive been lucky with the MTD- since the stock steering is on top of the chassis- i can pretty much go as low as i want with no troubles - actually just lowering the front axle to the top of the frame makes it steer 100% tighter. I might eventually down the line experement with a direct steer setup on top of the chassis.

Putting the front axle that high up will give some steering issues- not to mention be dragging the chassis on the ground - even with tires on it- i think ill be pushing it with my wizard and its lower stance.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2011, 10:07 pm

ill have to test things out then... right now the lowest point is 10 inches off the ground so i got plenty of room to work with. lowering to to the fram takes of 2.5 inches so im at 7.5 inches but i want closer to 4 inches
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2011, 8:35 pm

Alright so today i welded the body back together. i never welded anything so thin so it was a adventure but i got the job done. i didnt get the chance to clean it up but ima grind the welds down to make it look better and u will hardly notic once i repaint it.

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo012
its not a bead i was told by a friend that i would just melt through it if i did a bead so i did a bunch of tack welds until i coverd the whole thing

and if anyone is wondering its a miller welder with gas. my buddy said the gas wasnt workin then but it worked fine so idk if i believe him
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2011, 10:31 pm

Looks good to me. Looks better than my welding on the extended dash on my murray which is probably about the same thickness. I really don't like welding sheetmetal. I don't even have gas on mine, just fluxcore wire.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2011, 3:33 pm

Tack welding is the only real effective way to weld thin sheetmetal- i dont even think going to a smaller wire it work better.

TIG mightve given a better/smoother weld, but its a pain to operate .
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2011, 9:06 pm

yea i think it came out pretty good for the first time on sheet metal.

next i gotta figure out my front axle. original plan was to do the v shaped axle then i thot of just putting the axle on top of the frame but the only problems with those is the steering linkage would hit the frame so i gotta either find a fix for that or just lower the axle to the frame which would only drop it bout 2.5 inches wich is not nearly what i wanted.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2011, 9:26 pm

try welding it to the front of the frame? just need to make a longer tie rod
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2011, 6:11 pm

Alright now i am having trouble with the throttle setup. i got tired of welding today so i started worjin on throttle setup.
bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo013
bieng a twin cylinder its got this complicated governor/throttle setup.

one thing i need to get is a throttle return spring cuz the one i have is to stiff.

right now the brass throotle conector on the side of the carb is sittin half open without pullin on the throttle and i cant figure out why. also the cable i bought is the braided type so i cant figure out how to make it stay in the hole where the z bend goes. Any ideas? i thout it was the solid type when i orderd it but it truned out it wasnt.

Also i think i i might go to a handelbar steering setup because when i pull the throotle it hits the wheel before fully opening up the throttle... even tho i really dont want to because i want to maintain the look

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2011, 11:08 pm

heres what ima try an put on there
bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo014
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2011, 3:34 pm

hey i got a pair of bars on my rear engine racer they are pretty cool
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2011, 6:25 pm

so thy work pretty good? i didn't kno if i would be able to turn enuf with them on.
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2011, 6:29 pm

direct steer it works good
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2011, 5:44 pm

alright today i went to ace to get some springs for the throttle setup... they seem to work pretty good

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo010
i added 2 springs... one by the cable and one to the left of the bowl
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2011, 5:46 pm

one thing i have to figure out is how to get the wire from the cable to stay in the hole. as you can see its the braided wire kind
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2011, 12:54 pm

Wow i havent updated in forever.

i havent been able to do much cuz one of the other teachers at my school took the welder so ima go take that back next time. i did some major work on the body because it was scrapping thewheels once i lowerd it. ill try an get pics up as soon ass possible.

All i really have left is to put the front axle back on and a few small things here and there. then i will get up a video of it drivin
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2011, 5:32 pm

I used small u clamps to hold the bicycle shift cable in place , i just looped the cable and tightend the clamp down :

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Thrott13

Its right next to where i put 'cable to throttle' on the right side .

Or on the cheep side i used a nut and bolt with a hole drilled thru the bolt - then lock the nut down to hold the cable.

To effectively use those handlebars- youll need to change the steering - like on a go kart, one center point and two tie rods - lawntractor steering wheels are designed to rotate multiple times - be a lil inconvienient with the handle bars....
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2011, 9:02 pm

Yea i think i saw ur cable idea on a build yesterday. thats a great idea , i would have never thought of that

and your right bout the handle bars. i didnt even think bout that until i brought them in to the shop
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2011, 5:37 pm

wish i had more time to work on this thing at the shop but it has to be out of there by friday. im pretty much done just gotta weld a few things. i was having clutch issues on the first test run but i think i fixed that. have no more gas to test it but hopefully it will be ready to ride cuz i dont have a welder at the house.

i will get pictures of it up when i get it home
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2011, 10:13 pm

[img]bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Sam_0316[/img]
sorry its dark but heres a pic of the beast.

its definitely not done im still having major clutch problems. if i i start it in gear with the clutch engaged it wont go nowheres but if i disengage the clutch and then try and reengage it it wont engage and it wont stop. i have no clue what the problem is. i even added more bel guides and nothin:(
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2011, 3:33 pm

Probably still too much tension on the belt - my murray was like that - soon as i slapped it in gear, it moved on me - didnt help that the brakes wernt working either.

Id flip it up on end and actually see what it does ( with the tractor off) when the clutch is engaged/disengaged .

My stock 85 craftsman LT12 did the same thing- i put a factory idler on it ( came off my parts LT12) and the dang thing has too much belt tension- it worked perfectly fine before.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2011, 8:41 pm

k so i havent quite fixed the clutch yet but i got it painted today:)

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo011

bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Photo014
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 14th 2011, 10:00 pm

man that thing looks sweet
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2011, 9:54 pm

Thanks Dice:)

it could use another coat but i will save that for another day because i am happy with it
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2011, 9:54 pm

Ok so i got the wiring almost done... i got a button and a toggle switch from lowes only to realize that the button wasnt a momentary push button till i got home.. so when i would press it it would keep tying to start untill i pressed it again. but i got all the wires, the solenoid, and the toggle switch rigged up and ready to go. i will try to go to a hardware store tomorrow cuz i want to finish up the wiring this weekend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Build
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next