All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Speed Build

Go down 
+8
DICE464
redneckcarrow
Jamus
redneckrob
dangeroustoys56
Jordan
redzz02
noledroByrreK
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
redneckcarrow

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2011, 8:23 pm

been thinking about the wheeley prob when i getready to build mine have thought maybe set the rear axle back about 6 inches to put driver kinda infront of the wheel instead of over them
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2011, 8:42 pm

redneckcarrow wrote:
been thinking about the wheeley prob when i getready to build mine have thought maybe set the rear axle back about 6 inches to put driver kinda infront of the wheel instead of over them
wow that's a really good idea I wish I would have thought of that before I got my new belt. Maybe when this one is fried I'll do that. Or maybe I can move or take out my idler.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2011, 8:52 pm

where you allready have the new belt and are basically rebuilding the fenders and dash try moveing you forward on the tractor dont know how hard it would be thought with every thing in the way
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2011, 8:56 pm

I was so mad on Friday I was waiting all day to get to auto class to work on my machine and we had a sub so we werent aloud In the shop:( so no working on mower till next tuesday
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2011, 8:59 pm

Yea that's what stinks you can't jus make one modification. You move one thing then you gotta move something else to make it work
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 12:45 am

oh yea i forgot to mention... i looked at jus flippin the axle over after i took it off but that wont work because that would give me around 2 inches of ground clearance so i guess ima go back to my original plan.

also im pretty sure ima order this throttle kit http://acmemowersports.com/throttle_kit.html

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Throttle
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 3:43 am

I picked up a replacement atv brake lever at TSC on clearance for $3 - maybe ill try another gas setup like that sometime- the pedal is far easier tho to control.

Oh and dont make the same mistake i did on my murray- mount the throttle on the left side of the wheel- i accidentally mounted mine on the right ( wasnt thinking) - everytime i shifted id have to let totally off the throttle because the shifter was on the right side also.

Setting the trans back a couple inches would work- after all when sitting on a tractor youre on top of the trans or even slightly behind it. Keep in mind when adjusting seating position, you want to be somewhat comfortable- you wont want to ride the machine all scrunched up for long- i told my nephew that when he was figuring where to mount everything on his yazoo- he doesnt have alot of room to set things up in.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 4:20 am

well the reason a wanted a hand throttle was because i like to have precise control of the throttle and thats harder to do with a foot throttle. but more and more im thinkin i might jus do a foot throttle cuz it would be easer.

Also i think im going to ride it with the seat as far forward as it will go to move more wieght to the middle. That will be fine for me cuz im a small kid at 5 foot 6 wiehing 120 pounds
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 4:22 am

now that i think about it i think i will do a foot throttle... it will just be easyer
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 4:29 am

i have another question bout the throttle

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Thrott10
since im will be keeping the govener on my mower how will i hook up a regular brake cable to the existing govener hookup. with this kit it comes with the attachment the red outline piece in the pic but how ill i hook it up if i buy my own brake cable instead of buying that?

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Photo046
this is my carb and you can see where the metal piece hooks to the circle thing on the govener assy

thanks
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 2:07 pm

the only thing is with a foot throttle is that i want to be able to shift my wieght around in turns and whatnot but i wont be able to cauze i will have to keep my feet in one place. so i dont know. i will have to decide
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2011, 11:22 pm

Well after thinkin about it i decided to go back to the hand throttle it would be more fun and less scary if i had the abilty to shoft my weight around and you have more precise throttle control. With a foot petal hits hard to be precise because you cant actally feel how hard you pushing through shoes and whatnot.

But i will take your advice. it will be moved to the left side

i also decided not to but the throttle setup and use my own.. i ordered a new brake cable to go on. the reason i even thought bout buyin that one is cuz i didnt know how hook up my wire to the governor assy and the kit came with it. But rhin i learned you can make your own z bend at the end with a wire cable,

All the brake cables i have know are braided cables so the unwinnd at the end. thas y i orderd the one that is solid so i can put my own z bend in the end. thats y i was confused how to do it cuz theres no way to make braided cable into a z bend
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 10:42 pm

I will finnally get to work on my mower tommorow:)

I also have a question... How do you get a picture for your profile? cuz i have no clue. lol

thanks
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 11:42 pm

At the top of the page in the gray bar, click profile, then along the top of the next page click avatar. That gets you to the right place, then you have the option of uploading a pic from your computer or using the address of a pic already on the internet somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 5:12 pm

Thanks jamus.

so today we had book work to do so not much time to work on the mower but i did get the tires and transaxle removed so i can replace the gear oil.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2011, 7:27 pm

Since you have a twin cylender, its actually easier to hook a throttle up . Heres how i did mine on my mod murray:

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Thrott10

I removed the 'throttle cage' from my engine and hooked the cable right to the governer link.

Heres how i did the throttle on my MTD:

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 File0016

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 File0017

I used the bike cables with small u clamps- even made my own from a larger bolt with a hole drilled thru it on the MTD- can adjust it easier that way.

Im thinking ill change my pedal on the MTD- ill cut a lill off the inside, maybe some off the actual pedal and put a metal plate on the side of the footrest- i did notice since my pedal is offset a bit, my foot slides off a bit whipping around corners- works great tho, instant response . i had some issues with the air filter setup ( was a clearance vacuum filter i bot years ago)- thats gone now.

Heres how that bar n stuff hook up off that throttle setup you thought about buying- thats hooked to the governer on a single cylender motor, but could be adapter to a twin:

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Gov10

Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2011, 10:47 pm

yea i decided against the trottle assy... im just going to use the bike throttle i had. but i did order a new cable
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2011, 5:19 pm

so i replaced the gear oil today and it was grose!!! the stuff that came out was barely a liquid and it was a bunch of shades of green but its all good now

was it supposed to be like that or was it like that cuz it has never been changed?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2011, 4:59 pm

Probably never been changed - i took the bennonite grease and old gear oil out of my 88 kleen kut - stuff looked like runny dog crap - had all this white foam also from water/condensation in it. ill haveta bring it back around sometime and get it back to mowing duty- trans is screwy. Came real close to making it a modder.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 5:34 pm

Alright so some more pictures finally.

bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Photo010
So... today ii got some real work done. i cut down tha body. its definitley noticeably lower like that. im thinkin around 5 or 6 inches lower and that will help alot with a lower center of gravity. so far its just cut i ran out of time to weld it up but i will prolly finish that up next time. then i will prolly start workin on the front axle.
bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Photo011
heres the back. now the body is sitting on the frame. right now theres no transaxle or fronty axle on it so its up on jackkstands.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 6:16 pm

looks pretty good- youd never really notice it if the lower part of the rear fenders didnt stick under the footrests.

Youll definitly need lower profile or smaller rear wheels now, w/o hacking up the rear fenders.

As you can see from my profile pic ( to the left) i left my steering wheel as it was when stock- since im pretty tall- its actually pretty comfortable for me to steer it.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 7:55 pm

Yea i like it... i turned out like i imagined it. i plan on cutting off those corners sticking out jsut so i dont cut my self or somethin on it.

i really want some smaller tires for the back i just am short on money. eventually i will have smallers ones. i gotta check out some junk yards to find some. im thinkin 15-15s like you said.

And i was really worried bout the steering wheel being to high when i lowered the back but i sat on it and it feels pretty good:)
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2011, 6:09 am

I actually have to use the MTD steering wheel as a pull handle as well to help me get off the thing- LOL! I sit pretty low on it . I moved the seat as far back as possible - actually the back is about 1/2" hanging over- i bolted the seat to the original top of the rear chassis, then used two bolts to hold it to the chassis- that way can easily remove it to work on it.

Its still winter up there- but when the spring/summer comes- id see about hitting some flea markets /yard sales and thrift stores- im sure you can find some smaller wheels somewhere at one of those places pretty cheep.

I just bot 2 more golf kart wheels ( with rim/tire) for $20 - mainly cause they were used- if i can find 2 more, ill have 2 complete sets of steel wheels- cant swing $500 for a set of aluminum mags for a tractor not even built yet.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2011, 8:38 pm

it sucks i wont be able to work on the machine till next tuesday if that cuz of a snow day tommorow and ill be out of town on friday.

im checkin out craigs list and ebay for some new wheels.

the hardest part on this mower will be the front axle. ill have to cut in the exact right spots and cut all the angles right but it will be nice when done. After that ill only need to do a few small things till its rideable. im still lookin for square tubing also
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2011, 11:36 pm

actually now that i think bout it i might put the axle ontop the frame to lower it that would be way easyer and will still give me a decent amout of lowering
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2011, 5:32 pm

you might have problems hooking up steering when you do that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed Build   bumper - Speed Build - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Build
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next