All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mild Mod MTD

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 9:05 am

Steering stops would be useful! Gotta build myself some too. As for seat lowering, its something I need to do. But I want to keep the suspension, it'll suck off road without those two little springs. Just gotta figure out how to lower it and still let it bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 12:00 pm

You could mount the seat on 4 little springs - actually i didnt notice a harsh ride on mine - even when the seat was soild mounted- i was leaning partially off the seat- LOL!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 1:01 pm

That could work. Still want to be able to lift it though. Im putting a winch under the seat you see.... Im sure I'll work somethign out.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear about all those belts your ripping up, I hope you get it figured out, those things are expencive!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 10:32 pm

So far the belts were ones i took off other tractors - i dont have many left that size.

Ill look the whole thing over, check it again, maybe change a couple things one more time - then ill ditch the vari drive pulley n go with a long belt n see what i get .

If the speed isnt what i want, then ill put the manual trans in. Thats the good thing- can always change em!

Im working on seeing if i can get that old 88 kleen kuts motor going- the 18HP twin - im finding a few issues putting the separate carbs on - i dunno- might have to custom make a manifold n put a carb on it.

A good thing tho is i managed to pull the old crappy mufflers off w/o breaking the bolts, AND the motor seems to have good compression, inside everything looks good and works good.- ill haveta pull the heads off something n look- almost looks like the rings are worn on one cylender ( alot of carbon build up).

Ill figure something out.

BTW- i think ill drag my old murray back in and rebuild it- affraid

I actually miss that thing.....
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 7:28 pm

Im letting the MTD sit for a a couple days while i think of a way to fix it- i drug the 88 kleen kuts 18HP twin in and ive tinkered on that- had the twin carbs all hooked up n working ( with the governer) - went to take the one carb apart n broke a piece inside it - ill have to dig around to see if i have another one somewhere .....i might use a old style one piece carb on the left and a newer one on the right- ill haveta tinker more on it.

To get aside my frustration on the 18HP, i pulled my 99 murray out of hiatus to tinker with it - i had to pull the whole intake off cause the carbs screwed up somehow.

Somedays doesnt pay to go n tinker.....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 3:19 am

You had the twin carbs hooked up? affraid man, this I wanna see!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:06 pm

I was so frustrated when i screwed that carb up - i didnt get pics - yepper it actually worked( by hand- motor isnt actually running yet)- had the governer and chokes even hooked up - running it the way i wanted- well ill need to probably take a carb off one of my other tractors .

Only issue ill have is hooking a set of air filters up- theres NO room with those linkages in place- ill figure something out.

Couldnt tell y how many times i had to take the whole setup apart to adjust, bend and tweek the linkages- i worked on it for about 4-5 hours to get it right.

Heres a pic of a tractor that gave me the idea tho ( this isnt mine):

Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Twin_c10

Last edited by dangeroustoys56 on April 14th 2010, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 5:07 pm

hoooly Shocked that thing is awesome. Bet it sounds amazing, and responds really well too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 7:28 pm

that thing is soo sick dude, cant wait to see a vid
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 2:02 pm

Ill have more linkages on mine tho- it should be pretty sweet. Ill slap it on my murray n see how it works - maybe ill swap it onto the wheelhorse when thats built. Ill need to steal the fuel pump off the GT6000 chassis for it- should be plenty big enough .

When i start the murray project- thatll get a direct steer this time , lower profile tires - maybe ill see about lowering the front axle as well on that- in due time. I still want to finish the mild mod MTD - then start another thread for the murray.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2010, 8:07 am

So yesterday i decided to take the carb off the mild mod MTD - tried various carbs and remembered i had that 16HP teccy motor on my bench - so took the carb off it - and it nearly matched perfect to the briggs intake - just had to open up the carb mounting holes a lil bit- so manged to hook it up, and tried to start it.....and start it...and start it.... gas would go into the float area but not to the intake , cleaned it numerous times and manged to get it running ONLY if i put my hand over the end of the carb- eventually i did find some other carbs in a bucket - took the teccy carb off and put one of those i found in the bucket on - it runs with the choke on- so ill need to tweek it.

I didnt have any time to work on the twin carb engine- after messing with the MTD for a few hours- BUT i can set it up the way i want now. I wont have time to tinker out there least till friday/saturday. Once i get the carbs setup, then can hack the crap off the end of the crank and bolt my 5" pulley on it, slap it on my murray n see if the bad boy runs..... to be continued.....

Last edited by dangeroustoys56 on April 17th 2010, 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 10:17 pm

That twin looks cool! I'd like to hear that thing running! ITB' are really cool, bet its picks up a little throttle responce once you get it all dialed in.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 4:09 am

Im thinking itll run pretty strong - one carb wont have to feed two cylenders anymore- but itll probably use gas like crazy tho.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 7:11 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
but itll probably use gas like crazy tho.

I should think it probably will, although, that said, it may not. The stock carb has to feed two cylinders, with a carb on each, they arent having to feed as much fuel in. Although it still probably will use more, I dont think it will be too much of a difference
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 5:50 pm

Well , hate to say it , but projects will be on hold for about a month or so- wife n i are going up north for a couple weeks in May and need to get truck n trailer ready for the looong trip.

I spent part of the day putting things away and cleaning up.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 6:48 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I spent part of the day putting things away and cleaning up.

Im sorry, you lost me.... confused what is this 'cleaning up' you speak of? lol!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 8:05 am

NOOoo!! You need to give us a vid before you leave! I've been busy too... I've been working on my truck because I'm tring to get rid of it in favor of something that would seat 4... I can't put 2 kids in my truck. But I hate to see her go!
I'm gonna try and work on the craftsman today... Maybe some bumpers? Once the dust settles around here, I'll get a little bit more time to mess around.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 8:16 am

Just get a truck with a double cab Wink best of both then. Heck, why not jsut strap the kids to the bed? Wife might not like that though lol!
Im just messing man.

I should have a good chunk of moeny to put into my mudder soon. Selling stuff always means money...
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 1:22 pm

Chunk: Had to clean up the shed to stuff some tractors in it - have 7 tractors shoved in there ( wasnt easy) and the parts shed is full of mower decks, wheels and my bagger setups.

I probably could fit a couple more in the main shed if i removed the decks , actually- i might still do that - its a few weeks away before we leave.

I dont like leaving a whole lot of stuff outside when we're not home is all .

Fearlessfront: I really havent done much in the shed anyway last few weeks - im still stewing over the mild mod and the 18HP carb issue and ways to fix em .

Ill bring my 92 white down and my 70 toro- im not sure about the agway- dad likes to have a " back up " tractor and might put that back to stock for him to use - the white i want to 'restore' as well as get the toro mowing again - with my assortment of wheels i should be able to find a set thatll work with it.

We had that issue- my truck is a 2 door- and my wife had an 01 mustang- we sold the stang n bot a 07 kia rondo - tons more room .
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 2:28 pm

Yup! I hate leaving my stuff out when no ones in! Even if it was just for a day. The only good thing I guess that's come from my Dad loosing his job is that he is constantly around now.

Why dont you set a timer for some lights to go on and off in the night? Thats soemthing we always used to do as a family when we went on holiday. Maybe chain them all together too!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:23 pm

The light by the driveway is on all nite- the others are motion sensored - id need quite a bit of chain to lock em all together- LOL! The neighbors keep an eye out and feed our cat when we're gone.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 4:51 pm

That isnt so bad then! Yup, we used to have awesome neighbours across the road like that when I lived in England. They looked after our house, and cats while we were away, and I did the same for them. The cool thing was they had a nice amount of fruit and veg in their garden, and said we could help ourselves. I'll tell you what, freshly picked rasperries and carrots are awesome! And Im not a huge fan of veg either!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 11:09 pm

FINALLY- an update. I had some shed time today, cleaned up the shed a bit, put some shelves up along the back wall for my RC cars :

Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 File0035

I washed off the agway to start tinkering on it, while it was drying off i pulled the mild mod MTD in the shed . After looking thru all my belts, i couldnt find one that was even remotely close to what would work, more i looked at it, the rear pulley was sitting up slightly higher then the rest of the pulleys- probably the reason it ate belts that i hadnt noticed before.

I finally decided to put a stock trans pulley back on it :

Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 File0036

To get to everything better, i took the fenders and seat off :

Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 File0037

Id like to find a pulley either a 1' or so larger in my parts pile ( then the one i put on there- seems to work better routing the belt on the other side of the shifter( like stock).

Another possiblity is running a motor pulley the same size as a stock rear pulley- ill see what this setup does first n see.....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2010, 12:02 pm

I think it might be easier to get a big engine pulley. Plus you'd have tons of belt grip!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2010, 6:41 pm

I can only go maybe another inch or two bigger- not much room under the front frame area for a really large pulley- i could try a 1:1 - ill see if i can find the back pulley a tad smaller first. When its running- the 6" motor pulley spins the vari pulley pretty fast - real fast. Made sure i had the center cover on the tractor.

I took it for a test run this afternoon with a belt i got from pop ( he had a ton of em laying around and was like " take em with ya! ") - ran decent AND the belt stayed on! It was a bit slower then before, but still quick - noticed it stumbled a bit when i hit the gas, the cable was a bit loose and had some interference with the governer link - so i tweeked it a bit and seems alot better- more instant response. I dont even need belt retainers now.

The whole problem was the new smaller pulley actually sat a bit taller and was tearing the belts up ( i didnt notice it before) - maybe ill try grinding some off the bottom to make the pulley sit lower....

Eventually a future mod might be new lower spindles and raise the trans a bit , but then the fenders would need modding to clear the tires.... i do admit- its a blast! Thing steers awsome - handles real nice n smooth actually - i still say its like riding a big wheel when i was little - cause of the seating position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mild Mod MTD   Mild Mod MTD - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mild Mod MTD
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next