All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Making my first exhaust

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
murrey and me
murrey and me

exhaust - Making my first exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Making my first exhaust   exhaust - Making my first exhaust Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 7:14 am

Hello i was just curious just how to make a exhaust and what do u make it out of. Also how do u get it in the block + its a 11.5 hp.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Making my first exhaust   exhaust - Making my first exhaust Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 8:08 am

You can either bolt the pipe in or screw pipe in, I think it's 1" pipe that screws in. You could weld one up if you want if you have a welder, or use natural gas pipe and elbows. Just make a adapter from the stock muffler to the pipe that you choose to use. At the end if your exhaust, I suggest making a small braket to support everything. Try to stay away from galvanized pipe, dangerous to inhale when the coating burns off.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Making my first exhaust   exhaust - Making my first exhaust Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2014, 8:12 am

There's a few ways to skin that cat, and a lot of it depends on what you have available to you.

First, the engine. IF your engine has a threaded exhaust port (take your factory muffler off and see) then a new exhaust system is as simple as a trip to your local hardware store. On a single, the port is usually threaded for 1" NPT pipe fittings. Grab some nipples and elbows, and screw it all together. Do NOT overtighten the nipple into the block, and I highly suggest some anti-seize on the threads.

Threaded mufflers are available, that you can add on at the end of your pipe too.

Me? I usually go the full fab route and avoid the threaded stuff. I usually start by cutting the port flange off the original muffler, and sometimes I just make a new flange. I select tubing that is slightly larger than the port size, and route it to wherever I want, welding the flange on.

I have made my own muffler before, and will do it again. There are a lot of ways to do this. My next one will be featured in a video, I caught a lot of flack for not detailing my Cherry Bomb.

Whatever you do, support your pipe. You don't want a length of pipe and possibly a muffler just hanging freely off the engine's exhaust port, there's a real possibility for breakage there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making my first exhaust   exhaust - Making my first exhaust Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making my first exhaust
Page 1 of 1