All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

The Death Kart.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 am

Darn you were being serious  bounce Awesome lol
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:20 am

how could this ever go terribly wrong..? lol, looks.... interesting, fun, nevertheless. i'd romp it

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Fantastic. I'm digging this. I saw your FB post about hacking a car in half, and was dying to know what was up...

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 am

@willis923 wrote:
how could this ever go terribly wrong..? lol, looks.... interesting, fun, nevertheless. i'd romp it

Trust me, I ask myself that every time I come into the garage and see this thing.

Other news, took the intake manifold to give it a good soak in cleaner so a couple pictures.

Quote :
[23:05:43] Doug Fackler : YOU ARE A ROUND CITRUS FRUIT WITH A JUICY INSIDE
[23:06:20] WellThatsSuprising : YOU BASTARD HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Alright, I'm bored and just removed most of that terrifying excuse for a roll bar so it's time for a lesson. Never, EVER use square stock anywhere in a cage, unless you know exactly where stress will be coming from and adjust it properly. In this case, it would be impossible to predict the point where it would roll until actually rolling it and even then there's variables. Round stock is the only stuff you should be using. Not just any round stock though, purpose-built rollbar tubing is a whole lot stronger than any muffler pipe, water pipe, or electrical conduit, and you won't find it at the local hardware store. This is special-order stuff. Your main choices are seamless, drawn-over-mandrel (DOM) mild steel rollbar tubing or there's a cheaper but much less robust alternative which is seamed (commonly called ERW) mild steel rollbar tubing. As long as you bend with the seam, go a little bit thicker and have plenty of gussets you'll be fine with ERW. DOM is mostly used when keeping weight down is more important but this Kart is so light that it's not even worth it. Plus it's easier to get good welds with a thicker tube. As for width of the tubing your two most common sizes are 1.50" and 1.75" but again, if the cage is properly triangulated and gusseted you'll be safe.

On to mounting points, if you weld your tubing right to the floor it will just punch straight through the unibody in the event of a crash/roll. That's why it's very important to have a solid plate at least an 1/8" thick and as large/flat as possible welded to the body, then you weld your tubing to that. Tubing near these plates should be kept as straight as possible—any bends near the attachment points can significantly compromise strength.

Now for the fun part, actually bending your cage. All bends should be smooth and consistent and show zero abnormal crimping, crushing, stretching, narrowing, or other jenk. A single, continuous piece of tube, properly bended as needed, should be used for all major cage elements. This means if your main hoop comes up a few inches short, just build a new one that actually fits--don't try to extend it with short bits of tube grafted onto the ends. Spliced tubes, hoops made from multiple intersecting sections, and damaged tubes scavenged from other cages are always a no-no. The typical Harbor Freight bottle-jack bender isn't nearly strong enough to properly bend rollbar tube. A good, professional-grade hydraulic bender using the correct dies and reasonable radii is the least that you'll get away with so I hope you've got a buddy who's a steelworker. If you've got access to a professional mandrel bender, so much the better. As far a cage design goes, heres a really good link. I know there's a lot I'm leaving out but if anybody takes interest I'm open to questions.

Quote :
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 44

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 pm

"Hey man, I've got to make a run to the store, be ba...what are you doing?  Dude, what did you do to my car?! I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THAT!"

[/quote]

Nice roll cage tips though.

***Simplicity Racing Research & Development*** #64
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 am

This thing is going to the CarCraft Summer Nationals! Hopefully... I finally got a tracking number for the ECU so a video of the thing actually running is soon to come. Also, I've decided not to use the 3000GT suspension. The rear is already stiff enough to make the ride quality terrible so adding the suspension off an even heavier sports car is not in my best interest. Instead I'm just going to cut up the front half of an UTV and try to adapt the original Kia rear shocks to adjustables. 22 days to get it running and driving. Tic Toc.

Quote :
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 44

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Never mind, picture didn't work...

***Simplicity Racing Research & Development*** #64
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck

Last edited by mr.modified on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture fail...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Death Kart.   

Back to top Go down

The Death Kart.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2