All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram

Go down 
+8
Jamus
Jordan
ferg
RompinRedneck
arild365
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Webmaster
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ferg

Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 3:27 pm

RompinRedneck wrote:
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I am having a problem directly related to this thread. What do I do with the black wire if my tractor does not have lights?

the wires are usually painted black, use some sand paper or a craft knife to scrape away the paint. The red wire charges the battery, and the orange or white wire is for the head lamps
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 5:01 pm

What if I have no headlamps? Wouldn't that not complete the circuit?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 7:04 pm

ok so what if i have the carb with a wire coming out of it? i need to put that engine in another tractor and i cant take the wire harness with it because the safety switches wont work on the new tractor
i have wired a few tractors myself and they always work out for me i just need to know what to do with that wire
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 7:14 pm

Jordan wrote:
ok so what if i have the carb with a wire coming out of it? i need to put that engine in another tractor and i cant take the wire harness with it because the safety switches wont work on the new tractor
i have wired a few tractors myself and they always work out for me i just need to know what to do with that wire

Your carb has a fuel shutoff solenoid. You can bypass it by unscrewing it from the bottom of the float and snipping off the needle that you see. You will need to use a manual shutoff on the fuel line after doing this though. Refer to my video if need be. Good luck!
https://youtu.be/f3j3LjiqhOA
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 8:56 pm

have you tested this out yet? because its actually my brother engine that has it and i dont wanna have to pay to fix it for him if i do something wrong, and he actually runs the manual shut off anyway because if the fuel is left on it floods the engine
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 9:24 pm

I have an engine with that electric valve on it in my murray. I ran it to a toggle switch as a sort of secondary cutoff along with the coil wire. I can't remember how I wired it in though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com

PostSubject: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 9:47 pm

the techies have a screw option to replace the cut off sol. in their carb kits. not sure if briggs has the same thing or not. the plunger shuts the gas off when you turn the key off to eliminated that 10 second delayed pop from the muffler. if you have rewired for just the toggle kill and push button start, you could used a DPST toggle for the fuel stop solenoid. then you wont run the battery down trying to start it if you forget to turn on the other switch make sure to fuse the hot wire before the switch in case the wires or the switch shorts.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 7:24 pm

i have a spare carb for the engine anyway so i just cut the plunger off and the engine runs fine, no problems at all so i put the engine on the other tractor and wired it like i normally do and it runs great
Back to top Go down
csonka39

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2012, 10:53 pm

First of all, Thanks for response. Correction, I have a 16 hp twin briggs pig, ordered a new coil as the one the motor had was burnt at the ground and wires where coming from inside the plastic. So, technically once i install and gap the new coil w/ the ground unattached the motor should give me some spark, correct?, from there I can bypass wiring like the diagram from fearlessfront, and be set to dominate the back 1/2 acre.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2012, 2:10 am

anyone have a good diagram for wiring an opposed twin?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2012, 8:00 am

I've had good luck wiring up a couple of my mowers, including a twin, using the diagram posted by fearlessfront. It's in the wiring topic stickied to the top.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2012, 8:37 am

Csonka39: Yes - the mag will have spark when its unhooked - you wont be able to shut it off until you touch the mag lead to ground tho.

Actually thats how i see if my clunkers i drag home work - unhook the motor from the harnesses ( to avoid a bad ign switch scenario) , and starter solenoid - just jump it off the starter motor - if it runs, then i hook stuff back up and troubleshoot from there.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2012, 12:27 am

I will say this, you dont always recieve a tractor with factory wiring...remember alot of us are CL hunters for free tractors..I just recently got a yard machine for my buddy's first off road mower...
lets just say, the guy said it wouldnt start......and I found out why...

12.5 B&S and it had some very strange wiring I hadnt seen before....mostly because it had a lot of rewirng to counter the auto shut offs and safeys..not to mention it didnt have a key, so that was "altered"

Its funny how things come full circle...I just posted a "typical wiring diagram for B&S" on my facebook...

@Fearless, I went back just to watch your video when you redid the craftsman...I too was confused, this 12.5 had two wires for the alternator..

I get mostly get questions on how to remove the saftey switches...seat, parking, and mower deck engagement...
Back to top Go down
Cr8zyB0b
Cr8zyB0b

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:36 am

FearlessFront wrote:
I've been asked about wiring alot recently. So here is a diagram that should help everyone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 TractorWiringDiagram

would this work for a honda gv400 verticle shaft motor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram   Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs Engine Wiring Diagram
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next