All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

cool trans idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 am

so many people have talked about puting a trans infront of another one but has anyone ever got a peerless 700 or somthing like that and got a 7 speed mountain bike gear on the end of the trans and another mountain bike gear on the axle you are useing, if the 700 has 3 gears and two 7 speed gears you would have like 17 gears (has anyone done this if not i will be doing it to my craftsman ) this one, thanks
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 am

I can absolutely with out a doubt guarantee you that any and or all mountain bike sprockets are not designed to be used on a lawn mower. They are designed to be light weight and withstand normal human use as soon as you start adding the superhuman power factor of even a 10hp it'll just rip itself apart you should try building a stepped sprocket pack like those and just use regular sprockets but I dunno if that'd work or not. Or you could slam a torque converter to a 6 speed high low like I use for pulling.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:45 am

Like moose said. They can't stand really heavy use. Heck I just snapped the one off my mountain bike after I rode it up a really steep hill. LOL Yeah if anything I would use an MTD vari-drive to a 700. With that you could have a load of good gear ratios.
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Moose wrote:
I can absolutely with out a doubt guarantee you that any and or all mountain bike sprockets are not designed to be used on a lawn mower. They are designed to be light weight and withstand normal human use as soon as you start adding the superhuman power factor of even a 10hp it'll just rip itself apart you should try building a stepped sprocket pack like those and just use regular sprockets but I dunno if that'd work or not. Or you could slam a torque converter to a 6 speed high low like I use for pulling.

My bike gears do fine with a 50cc engine strapped to the bike, Like you said tho I dont know how they would work with 10HP
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 pm

It's a 15.5 hp
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I can't see it working out well. Not only are bicycle gears unlikely to tolerate the torque of such an engine, let's not forget that by putting the bike gears downstream of the 700. So now, you're multiplying the incoming torque by a factor of as little as 2, or as high as 9, depending on the particular gearset of your 700, and what gear you're shifted into.

To put this into perspective:

Your 15hp engine likely has a peak torque of about 25lbs/ft at 2500RPM. Assuming a 1:1 pulley ratio going into the 700, that's fine. Now- run that thru a 9:1 first gear in the 700, and you are now sending 225lbs/ft into the input side of those bike gears. Imagine what the output side is seeing.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

Forum Rep : 14

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:16 pm

Ive stripped gears on my bike; it wont work.

You could build a sprocket pack, but you will also have to build a derailleur as well to move the chain to the gears.

And you will need to figure out some sort of clutch system.

PostSubject: Re: cool trans idea    

Back to top Go down

cool trans idea
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1