All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is Almost Over!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket

Go down 
AuthorMessage
redlinemotorsportts

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 pm

So heres how im doing my home made driver sprocket and it came out great.

What you need:
Sprocket you are going to use that has space in the middle of it like mine pictured
brake rotor that has the same splines as the output shaft of your 700, mine came from a MTD FNR trans.
a good tape measure or best tool is a dial caliper
Vice and a few c clamps
Welder, or u guess you could bolt it together.

Theres a few measurements you want to take before cutting:
how much your splined output shaft sticks out to the e clip groove
how wide your rotor is at the spines, so you know how long your spacer from the original gearbox sprocket will be
out how far the sprocket needs to be from the gearbox, like where it is on the output shaft.

Heres everything i have, the new sprocket, the rotor, and the old sprocket, cut to the appropriate length as a spacer on the shaft.

Lightly clamp and VERY CAREFULLY center the sprocket on the rotor, TAKE YOUR TIME, this is not a race and you do not want to mess it up, make it perfect all the way around.

Once center clamp it hard, i re checked mine to make sure it didnt move.

I clamped my rotor on both sides to make sure it was flat, then i welded it.

After that i welded the spacer i had to the rotor for more splines to grab i guess, and less wobbling on the output shaft

After that just throw it on the trans and put the e clip and chain on!

ATLTF.com Facebook admin - Forum Mod
whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Nice! Though I would have bolted it together so that if the sprocket ever wears out it could be replaced :p
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm

@Moose wrote:
Nice! Though I would have bolted it together so that if the sprocket ever wears out it could be replaced :p
Yea i thought about it, thats why i didnt weld the inside lip. i have a bad relationship with drilling in metal  Mad  so grinding down welds shouldnt be to hard

whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 pm

@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
@Moose wrote:
Yea i thought about it, thats why i didnt weld  the inside lip. i have a bad relationship with drilling in metal  Mad  so grinding down welds shouldnt be to hard
Just keep in mind to use a split point bit go slow and use a lot of oil or wd40... Kinda gives me a idea for instructional videos might do a small tutorial page in here for working with metal in the general aspects
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:16 pm

@Moose wrote:
@Moose wrote:
Yea i thought about it, thats why i didnt weld  the inside lip. i have a bad relationship with drilling in metal  Mad  so grinding down welds shouldnt be to hard
Just keep in mind to use a split point bit go slow and use a lot of oil or wd40... Kinda gives me a idea for instructional videos might do a small tutorial page in here for working with metal in the general aspects
That would be nice, because i dont have a drill press and try to avoid doing it... always turns into a a big pain  Evil or Very Mad 

whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:37 am

Nice thats really cool im sure this will help a lot of people i might do this with my peerless 700
Back to top Go down
Moose
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:16 am

@Moose wrote:
@Moose wrote:
That would be nice, because i dont have a drill press and try to avoid doing it... always turns into a a big pain  Evil or Very Mad 
Lol been there just takes patience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket    

Back to top Go down

How To: Home-brew Peerless 700 Bigger Driver Sprocket
Page 1 of 1