All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Disc brakes? Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerDisc brakes? Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

Disc brakes?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hillbilly Homer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hillbilly Homer

Forum Rep : 2
Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Very Happy Has anyone tried this type of Disc brakes (Avid BB7) on there mower and if so how well did it work? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 65

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Guess they are for a bicycle or something right? No, haven't tried them, but I did put disk brakes on my machine. I don't see why they wouldn't work ok for a newer lighter mower though.

Lincoln continental rear caliper, unknown rear rotor.

Disc brakes? Img_3127
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hillbilly Homer

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Yeah the avid bb7 is made for mountain bikes.

Laughing ...But i like your idea better!... Laughing

P.S.  Smile Nothing i get on is lighter!!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 65

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 pm

The thing I would do different is to have some more leverage with my brake pedal. Used a master cylinder from a jeep grand cherokee. Pedal I made is around a foot long and pushes on the master cyl not quite in the middle of the pedal from where it pivots at the bottom. Three or four inches higher on top would make it much easier to apply the brakes I think.

Disc brakes? Img_3115
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 48

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Bike brakes wont hold up, they are way too thin and the calipers are way too small, youll be replacing rotors and pads all the time. Best bet is to buy a kart setup or use a band brake.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
Angchor
Skilled
Skilled
Angchor

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 pm

@mr.modified wrote:
The thing I would do different is to have some more leverage with my brake pedal. Used a master cylinder from a jeep grand cherokee. Pedal I made is around a foot long and pushes on the master cyl not quite in the middle of the pedal from where it pivots at the bottom. Three or four inches higher on top would make it much easier to apply the brakes I think.

I made three marks/ Red, yellow, green.

If you put the master cylinder at the red mark you will have to push the pedal the hardest to get the most braking power.

If you put the master cylinder at the green mark, you will have to push the pedal the least hard, to get the most braking power.
Disc brakes? Img_3110
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

Forum Rep : 3

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:39 pm

@mr.modified wrote:
The petal arm on most vehicals is probably 2 feet long, so thats a good amount of leverage, plus you dont have a booster.

whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hillbilly Homer

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 am

Very Happy ...Thank you all... Very Happy 

Doug Fackler wrote:
Bike brakes wont hold up, they are way too thin and the calipers are way too small, youll be replacing rotors and pads all the time. Best bet is to buy a kart setup or use a band brake.

i was thinking rotor would be pretty flimsy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Disc brakes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disc brakes?   Disc brakes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disc brakes?
Page 1 of 1