All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

LMM's Bike Trike!

Go down 
+6
jonnya
redlinemotorsportts
mr.modified
dwcopple
kawasaki220
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 9:24 pm

I started building a trike out of my very first bicycle. It was a 2005 (I think) Huffy Rocket 20". I got it when I was five or six, possibly even seven I honestly don't know.  I still ride it, well I used to ride it until both my tires blew out while I was riding it. Also my grips and pedals are falling apart.  So I think I can reuse the front tire by putting a tube in it.  I also found a nice length of 3/4" rod that will work perfect for my axle (same kind of stuff I used on the Rally Mower).  I am trying to get 15x6.50-8 front tires to go on the back, but I only have 6.50-6 rims that have bearings of bushings on them.  Any ideas on how to mount a set of rims on?  I also went rummaging through my junk-yard with some 2+2 and a screw driver.  Looking through all the string trimmers that I have.  First one I checked was a toro with a missing trimmer head and a leaky gas cap.  Took off the air filter sprayed in some 2+2.... Pulled the cord ONCE.... AND.... BAM it started! First pull!  So I took it back into the shop and started stripping everything off except for the motor and the clutch.  Found out that the clutch housing and the clutch mechanism are two different pieces.  So I took the cone that holds the clutch to the motor (press fit bearings) and I cut it down so I can weld a sprocket on the shaft.  Took a sprocket that looked like a good size (thinking gear ratios), and welded it to the shaft.  That is all for today.  Tomorrow's work will be (hopefully) will include:

Finding bearings of bushings for axle supports.
Fastening sprocket and hubs on axle.
Making brakes (I am thinking scrub brakes like on an old gokart).
Making foot pegs, brake pedal, throttle, and kill switch.
Making chain right length.
Putting on tires.
^^ Slicks from a ZTR mower that the guy replaced but are still good LOL
Paint?
Test-Ride!

Hopefully I will have pictures tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 8:06 pm

I made the rear axle hanger today. Also got some bushings that will be the axle bushings (don't worry it won't be going fast, and I will have them greased).  

Pics...
Mock-up...
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 07181410" />
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 07181411" />
Starting welding and axle stuff...
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 07181412" />
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 07181413" />
Engine Placement...
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 07181414" />
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 9:09 pm

now i understand what you are doing like it but i think it shuld be a hybrid motor and pedeling keep it up like it
Back to top Go down
dwcopple

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2014, 8:35 am

gonna stuff the tires into huge PVC pipes and make a drift trike that is all the rage right now???
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2014, 4:09 pm

Looks cool
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 7:21 pm

Here we go.  HUGE UPDATE!!!!  Found an old Honda Clone motor. It sat out side for like three years.  It was on an old tiller.  Some guy dropped it off and left it there FOR THREE YEARS! the motor was brand spankin new!  So I took it (after calling and leaving messages at his house for the past four months) and put it on the trike!  The paint even matches!  I had to do some reinforcing and welding to the frame, as well as cutting and grinding Razz.  I think it came out good.

All I need to do is link up the axle and clutch and work on brakes (drum brakes from my old gokart), reinforce the frame behind the seat, gas tank, then I need levers, throttle tube, and A TEST DRIVE!!

Here is some pictures...
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 08071410" />
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 08071411" />
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 08071412" />

Also notice the murray in the back ground. I WANT IT SOOOOOO BADLY!!!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 7:33 pm

Nice, you might want to run some tubing or plate gussets from the rear hard tail to the part on the frame where the seat goes into, like this:

LMM's Bike Trike! Screen13

Edit: I know you are going to renforce it, just making some suggestions.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 8:59 pm

Did you ever have a Honda or Honda Clone? They have two flanges that stick out with holes in them that the tank mounts to. these flanges stick out on each side of the seat post.  I was planning on welding flat steel to the frame and bolting it to these flanges like a four-wheeler with motor mounts on the top and bottom that reinforce the frame.  I was also planning on making something like that.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 9:22 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Did you ever have a Honda or Honda Clone? They have two flanges that stick out with holes in them that the tank mounts to. these flanges stick out on each side of the seat post.  I was planning on welding flat steel to the frame and bolting it to these flanges like a four-wheeler with motor mounts on the top and bottom that reinforce the frame.  I was also planning on making something like that.

Im not sure thats a secure anchor point, i mean aluminum tabs ment for a 5lb gas tank, but if a shock load comes, then youre looking for a new frame and engine because it broke and bent. I mean, you can try, just dont want to see that nice engine ruined.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 9:34 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:

Im not sure thats a secure anchor point, i mean aluminum tabs ment for a 5lb gas tank, but if a shock load comes, then youre looking for a new frame and engine because it broke and bent. I mean, you can try, just dont want to see that nice engine ruined.

I know what ya mean.
This is what I am talking about.
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! Honda_10" />

Ya can see the two tabs.  They look pretty tough lol.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2014, 9:36 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:

I know what ya mean.
This is what I am talking about.
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! Honda_10" />

Ya can see the two tabs.  They look pretty tough lol.

Alright, i guess you can try it. Just gussets look safer to me.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2014, 10:04 am

I found out that TSC has a weld in pulley hub that had the same outside dia. that the inside dia. of my sprocket is. WOOHOO! So I must get one of those and all that's left is....

LIST:
Sprockets,
Chain,
Brakes,
Gas Tank,
Line,  
Filter,
Handlebars,
Brake Lever,
Twist Throttle,
Cables (Brake, Throttle),
Tires (Slicks  Twisted Evil Drift Trike style yo!),
Paint,

Will also need a reducer from 1/4 to whatever size fuel line that the clone uses.

All for today will update as the build goes on!  afro 
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2014, 1:55 pm

Paint scheme.

Blue: chassis,
Chrome: Forks, rims front and rear, and bars.

• Motor runs good for being outside for 3+ years.
  • Waiting for TSC to call me about the part.
  • Need hub to install sprocket so driveline can be installed.
  • Need motor installed to weld in final brace for chassis.
  • Need to finish wheelie bar with small wheels to ride out wheelies
  • Need to work out bugs so I can finish paint.
  • Need to make sure bugs aren't IN the paint when i paint it Razz.
  • Need to get chest mount for GoPro so I can record the first ride!

Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2014, 10:30 pm

Mom told me to make up my birthday/ Christmas list.  I be like.
BAM a whopping $56.xx worth!
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 08131410" />

And I wasn't even done shopping yet Sad.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 9:41 pm

Got my hub from TSC and got it tacked in place.  Need to fully weld it and get it all lined up with the chain. After that I will need to get the stuff mentioned in the above post and finish my brakes.  Then I will be good for a test ride!!!

(Other Picture wouldn't load up right for some odd reason Sad)

LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 08181410" />
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 10:55 pm

Looking pretty good. Best part is that it's light, easy to move around, and doesn't take up much space in the garage. Looks like it might be a wheelie machine.
Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 4:05 am

Good work fella! I wish I was doing stuff like this when I'd been 13, top skills!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 12:39 pm

Yes a wheelie machine is what it is.  I rode rode it yesterday.  Even with posi it turns fairly good, even on grass.  I also found out that my bushings are worn through already.  So I ordered some ball bearings and made a custom carrier made of a piece of pipe with the bearings tapped in and a grease fitting installed.  I just got done with it so I will weld it together this afternoon yet. It seems to be holding up really good.  I forgot to mention that I got a brand new tire for the front for free.  

That is all I got for right now, will continue updating as it goes.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 7:09 pm

Lets see some riding videos or some finished pics!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 8:47 pm

Need a tensioner for mah chain. Starts flopping around just under WOT and it sounds like it is about to fly off and kill someone Razz.  So I am thinging like a nylon type chain tensioner pulley with a spring and a piece of flat stock and call it good.  I still need the twist throttle the brakes (dont worry it WILL have brakes), and the gas tank.  The bearing system works really good.  I can drive it for 5mins without a bunch of slop in the axle when I'm done! lol Forgot to take pics today.  Will get some tomorrow.

EXTRA EXTRA!! Got the "Chesty" in today. Took it for a dirt bike ride with mah buddy. (Tyler Dale) And screwed up the angle.  I have about 15-30 mins of my gas tank....  That sucks....

Well anyways, I will try to get the tensioner and some footage up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2014, 3:20 pm

did u get the tenshoner on it or made a vid i really like this i think i might make one my brother
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2014, 7:06 pm

Figured out it wasn't my chain. It was the 5+ year old centrifical clutch that sat out in the rain and got rusted for about 4 years.  It was rattling and making noise right before it hit the high RPM setting. That is why I could never hit full speed, I was never sure what the sound was. I cleaned and lubed it really good and it worked, once, I got it going out through my parking lot and I must have hit 40MPH.  Time to change the gearing lol with the off camber from lowering the rear of the bike and the posi traction and not being able to turn it got pretty sketchy. lol.  I may take a video of it sooner or later.  Currently it is sitting in my trailer taking up space, lol.

I did put front brakes on it and a finger throttle. The throttle I used a bicycle brake lever and positioned it right at the rise in the bars. This let me use it as a thumb throttle.  The front brakes are ran exactly like they would be on any regular bicycle.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2014, 10:50 pm

HUGE UPDATE!
My buddy gave me this old twist throttle this morning. It isn't the kind that you see on small dirtbikes with the kill/ start switch on the throttle assy.  It is just a twist throttle so I lubed 'er up and threw it on the handle bars of my trike and the cable on the twist throttle was just long enough to stretch to the motor!  So While she was into the shop I changed my front tire and put some extra pounds in the rear for riding in the snow...  She drifts pretty good in about 2-3" of snow.  Still need that new clutch for it, the old clutch is also giving me really weird slippage in the low RPMs.  Eventually I will make new footpegs where the pedals went through the frame and make a dirt bike style brake pedal.  That will go back to the band brake via some kind of linkage.  

Someone asked me on my Rally build thread what my axles were from. Here they are.
LMM's Bike Trike! <a href=LMM's Bike Trike! 11201410" />

Here she is after a long day of donuts and drifts.
LMM's Bike Trike! 11261410

I think I will get a real 3/4" axle for in the trike.  I sorta half-fast'ed the rear axle.  It was just a standard shaft with out a keyway.  I have welded my hubs and my sprocket onto the axle, and I have snapped welds a few times. So I think I may just get a real gokart axle and get a new sprocket and different hubs and go that route instead of having to weld my trike back together after riding it every time, lol.  This is all I got today. Hopefully if the snow is still laying tomorrow afternoon (after a fantastic dinner) I can take my gopro down to the shop and get some footage of me ripping around in the snow!

Let me know what you think!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2014, 10:53 pm

Maybe some tin fenders would look classy on the back. Im sure you wernt exactly bone dry, lol. Very cool build tho, better than 3dmachines thats for sure.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2014, 11:00 pm

lol yeah I couldn't stand having to operate a manual clutch on something like this.  I like being in control with BOTH my hands on the bars.  I will have to see about the fenders..  I know where I can get a front one, but the motor and drive is in the way for rear fenders.  I'll see what I can do. And yes, I was 100% completely dry blasting through slush at 20+ mph with no fenders. Thank goodness for Carhartt Jackets and Bibs! *sarcasm, I still got soaked!*

Last edited by LAWN MOWER MUDDER on November 27th 2014, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I honestly don't know...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LMM's Bike Trike! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LMM's Bike Trike!   LMM's Bike Trike! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LMM's Bike Trike!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next