All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)

Go down 
+8
camomanusa
Angchor
willis923
Thunderdivine
TheBeal
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
jonnya
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2014, 6:20 pm

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0014

I pulled the mower into the shed and lifted the front for some undercarraige shots. Here is the rear axle/disc brake. The brake is from a 110cc pit bike and the cable operated caliper is from the rear of a mini moto. I also have a horrendous oil leak from the gearbox. I foolishly filled it with oil thinking it would be a good idea. I have learnt that peerless gearboxes arent like those on a car and arent oil filled! This brake set up works best when sprayed with brake cleaner first! It still isn't the most effective brakes as I'm asking a lot of such a small brake caliper. It was all cheap however and does work reasonably. You can also see part of the extra subframe which was made to carry the axle. Ths was made up of inch square box, recycled school table frame! I'm a High schoolTechnology teacher and there are probably 3-4 broken tables thrown in the bins each week. I can't see all this steel go to waste.

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0012

Here's my clutch mech. Scratch built, rather crude, but works really well. It has a rod linkage throughout as I couldn't seem to get a cable to work. I tried to use an old car handbrake cable running inside a speedo cable outer (bit like a hardcore bike brake cable!) there was too much stretch (I think) Annoyingly I just couldn't get it working. I wanted to use some kart pedals but they weren't man eough for the hefty cable and ended up using the original MTD pedal. It's a combined clutch/brake. I'm using a 2 1/2 inch pulley on the gearbox and I think it's about 5 inch on the engine. I had to buy a new belt.

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0011

A full length shot showing the full exhaust. The pillow block bearings can just about be seen. The rear track was narrowed by about 5 inches to allow for the wheels to sit in the mudguards.

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0010

Here's my gear lever & linkage to the peerless gearbox. The battery was the single most expensive part at £37! The mower was £30 off of ebay. The linkage (and nearly all the project) was made up off bits and pieces from my mini scrap heap.

Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2014, 6:45 pm

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0008

Another shot of the front upright. You can see the plate welded on to achieve Ackerman angle. The pushrod from the steering wheel/rack has about 1/2 inch clearance under the exhaust pipe. More recycled school table leg can be seen!

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0007-1

This is my fuel tank which was made from an empty mig welder disposable gas bottle and some old heating pipe. Please don't laugh at my welds. I double then triple welded the join as I wanted to ensure no fuel leaks. I have (and I bet you do too) heaps of these gas bottles which they wont take at my local tip as they are pressurised. They tell me to put them into landfill. I have found several uses for these. Bender's eyes on my barbeque grill!

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0009

Guys, please be very very careful if you sre going to start cutting any pressurised gas bottles. Do your research and don't just stove into it with you grinder! If in doubt, don't do it!

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0005-1

This is the 'saddle'. The 'choke' button is the start button. The 'throttle' is the choke and yes that is a spring loaded gate bolt I have used as a reverse gear lock out. I needed something pretty quick as I was taking the mower round to my mates house as he has a huge garden. I didn't want any of my mates wrecking my gearbox by slipping it into reverse whilst going forwards. Obviously! I popped a spring in the end and welded a tiny plate to hold the spring. Works a treat! The grey steel started life as part of a filing cabinet I rescued from the school bins! Why pay for steel when you can get it for nothing!

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0004-1

Here is a side view. If you look at the original decals on the side, this looks like it should be a 5 hp mower. That is the '.5' off of the original 12.5 decal. I had to move the rear body section forward about 3-4 inches so the rear wheel didn't foul the bodywork. The original gearshift gate can be seen.

Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2014, 7:10 pm

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0003-1

This picture shows how little clearance there is between the top of the wheelarch and the tyre. It's about 3/8 inch, not much anyway! I really couldn't have gone much lower! I decided at an early stage to leave this as a 'natural rat look' I left all the bumps, scrapes and rust as it was. I really like 'actual' rat look. I'm not a huge fan of 'artificial' rat look. I know myself too well to start going for any shiney paint jobs, I'm way too clumsy and would scratch it in no time. I would like to do a metal flake ride on mower one day though!

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0002-1

This is the sprocket for the drive, the axle is from a Murray 8/30 and has a diff. The sprocket was originally going to be inside the chassis, but I couldn't get the axle narrow enough, so it had to be place outside the chassis. More of the axle carrier frame can be seen. If I could change anthing about this build, I probably try to make it lighter. I haven't weighed it, but it's well heavy! It is defo over engineered in places.

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 IMG_0001

Rear view, not much to see here. I left the single reflector in place as this is how the mower was when I got it and it fitte with the ratty look I was going for.

Overall I am really pleased with how it turned out. I learnt heaps on this, my first build and really enjoyed it. There are a few things I want to improve. I may swap back to the 12.5hp engine, at least whilst the 8hp is rebuilt. The 8hp is a 1988 unit and quite tired. There are a few bits of tidying such as the steering uprights. If you have any questions please ask. Please don't correct any UK/US English spellings, you just spell some things differently!

I am looking forward to entering next years build off. I have an excellent idea. Not sharing!
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2014, 10:29 pm

that trumpet thing is a NASCAR thing, and I find this a really sweet looking rig, by any chance have you chatted with TD? he's from norway I believe?
Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2014, 3:45 am

If I remove all the baffles and glassfibre packing from my silencer I'd pretty much have a trumpet then? I do like the idea of an unsilenced/muffled engine, however I dare say my neighbours wouldn't!

I've not spoken with TD, I've only been on this forum for a few days so hopefully I will get round to it one day. Is he the fella building the speed mower which is being built to race car standard?
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2015, 5:34 pm

jonnya wrote:
I don't know if anyone has a picture of an unmolested Lawnflite they could post?
Hi Jonny I think this is what yours started out like if you`d like it for reference:
My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 -4476510
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2015, 9:22 pm

Nicely done with this thing. I should spend more time looking around on here, I'm missing all the cool pics. Front axle is pretty neat welded up like that.
Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2015, 2:20 am

Thanks for the big ups!

Look what I was given a few weeks ago by a bloke from work. I'm a design and technology teacher and have photo of my slammed mower on the workshop wall for the students to see my handiwork. One of the teaching assistants saw my photo and said he had a similar standard mower sitting in his garden doing nothing which I could have. I swapped it for £9 worth of biscuits (cookies)! A good swap methinks! He was pleased with his biscuits, everyone's happy. It isn't exactly the same model but very close and demonstrates how much I have taken out of the ride height. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet? I'm thinking a monster mower as I have 3 ATC (Off of a Honda big red I think?) wheel/tyres without a home. Just need a fourth though. What ever happens to it won't be happening this year yet as I get married in the summer so have heaps of planning and other stuff which will take up my time.

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 <a href=My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 20150207_114502" />

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 <a href=My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 20150207_114320" />

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 20150207_114050

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 <a href=My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 20150207_113945" />
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2015, 6:49 am

Man i cant get over how cool that looks. You slammed it like 6 in. How fast does it go?
Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2015, 5:02 pm

So I've been in the shed doing some bits to the rat rod mower. I've done an engine swap. It now has a 12 hp instead of the 8hp. I've modded the exhaust.
The 8hp engine never seemed to run too well, could do with a rebuild. It got very hot whilst running, often overheating and refusing to start untill cooled down. I think there were several issues:
1. I think I'd geared the engine too high for the size of engine/me! This caused extra strain on the engine causing it to run hotter.
2. The exhaust header/pipe going into the muffler/silencer had no heat shield and was causing the engine compartment temperature to get very hot, therefore the engine only having hot air to suck in to cool the engine, causing it to run hotter.
3. The silencer/muffler was off of a 125cc bike and didn't flow enough exhaust gas, causing it to hotter.

The mower always ran better when the hood was removed and driven without it. Tis would obviously have an effect too.

So the bits I've done so far are:

1. Opened up the silencer/muffler and removed all the baffles to increase gas flow
2. Used the standard 12hp exhaust/muffler assembly, this still feeds into the bike muffler.
3. Used the exhaust shrouding/heat shield which should help remove heat from the engine compartment

It's not quite running yet as I purchased a new belt which was the wrong size and I want to do a little work on the steering gear as it's a little wobbly at present. Fingers crossed the new engine will resolve my problems!

Any feedback/opinion on my mods/reasons for are most welcome. Every day is a school day!
Back to top Go down
jonnya

2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2015, 5:03 pm

And I'll get some pics on here soon too. Not much to see to be fair though!
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2015, 5:20 pm

Interesting. The 8hp wasn't up to it. Hopefully the 12hp will do you better, would like to see pics!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)   My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My MTD slammed Rat(ish)Rod (New UK member)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next