All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Speed variation via clutch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

clutch - Speed variation via clutch Empty
PostSubject: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2014, 5:06 pm

How much variation in speed can you safely get just using a two pulley clutch system?

It's looking like I may be down to the FNR trans for my FrankenAaron build. (The wheels are rusted onto the hydro shafts, and someone has beat the heck out of them, adding mushrooming of the shafts, to the problem.)

I do not want to use the vari-drive pulley system.

I don't need a lot of speed, this is a completely utility build.

My hope is that using pulleys, I can get better speed than a stock FNR... But that I can regulate the speed down some, (without burning up belts too quickly.), using the clutch.

Any other, experience related ideas???
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2014, 9:17 pm

Um, it's a clutch, right? So it's either engaged, and running at whatever speed the engine and pulley setup is, or it's disengaged, and not running, or it's slipping, and wearing out the belt.

Only clutch system I know of that is variable is the MTD FNR's. Even then, you engage the clutch when letting out the pedal, as it moves more, it then varies the pulleys for different speed.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 12:58 am

Stretch44875 wrote:
Um, it's a clutch, right?  So it's either engaged, and running at whatever speed the engine and pulley setup is, or it's disengaged, and not running, or it's slipping, and wearing out the belt.

Only clutch system I know of that is variable is the MTD FNR's.  Even then, you engage the clutch when letting out the pedal, as it moves more, it then varies the pulleys for different speed.
You've never let the clutch out only slightly, to make it creep a few feet?

Or given it partial clutch to go somewhere at a lower speed?

Am I the only one who does this?
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 1:30 am

you can do that yeah but your going to eventually burn up your belt...
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 7:38 am

Angchor wrote:
Stretch44875 wrote:
Um, it's a clutch, right?  So it's either engaged, and running at whatever speed the engine and pulley setup is, or it's disengaged, and not running, or it's slipping, and wearing out the belt.

Only clutch system I know of that is variable is the MTD FNR's.  Even then, you engage the clutch when letting out the pedal, as it moves more, it then varies the pulleys for different speed.
You've never let the clutch out only slightly, to make it creep a few feet?

Or given it partial clutch to go somewhere at a lower speed?

Am I the only one who does this?

To creep a few feet, sure, all the time. But continuous partial engagement, to move at a slower speed, no. Then you are slipping the belt constantly, and can heat it up, and wear out faster. The less slip, the less wear.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 4:19 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
To creep a few feet, sure, all the time.  But continuous partial engagement, to move at a slower speed, no.  Then you are slipping the belt constantly, and can heat it up, and wear out faster.  The less slip, the less wear.

Exactly so.

I suspect that most of the time, having just one speed is going to be just fine. After all, it is meant for crawling up and down and around the steep slopes here on my property.

Trying to think this out logically...

If the speed is too fast, then I'll be in the clutch all the time. Meaning, the belt will wear faster.

Too slow and I'll be frustrated with having to crawl a 1/4 mile just to get something done.

But the latter is likely to happen maybe one time in 60 or so.

I think I'll try it with the FNR. I'll put a slightly larger pulley on the front. And maybe a smaller pulley on the trans. (It's a 5/8 on the trans now, anyway, and a 1/2 on the engine. I'd rather go with 1/2" belts.)

The 'crawl' speed on the fnr is just TOO slow. I'll just have to experiment to find the best 'working' speed.

I really only need two speeds, anyway. One slow enough to work. The other fast enough to get from point "A" to point "B" without dieing of old age or frustration... Maybe I'll work on something later to give me a second speed without having to go back to the vari-drive.

Of course, this means it is back to the drawing board on the 'stretch' to get the axle farther back. Good thing I never welded anything yet.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 6:36 pm

For a single speed rear end, I'd try to install a comet torque convertor setup. If you set the pulley ratio's for a top speed of 18mph or so, and used a comet, it would have great slow speed, and power.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 6:37 pm

And they did build two speed FNR MTD rear axles, in larger GT tractors, that may solve all your problems.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2014, 7:49 pm

Great suggestions.

Only problem is I have neither of those. LOL

This build I am doing, has to be done with what I have or can afford.

The budget for this build is about twenty bucks per month. LOL And I need it done last month!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed variation via clutch   clutch - Speed variation via clutch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed variation via clutch
Page 1 of 1