All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

craftsman steering totaled

Go down 
+2
camomanusa
fast adam
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fast adam
fast adam

craftsman steering totaled  Empty
PostSubject: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 6:59 pm

can any one give me some ideas about how to redo the total steering system for an off road tractor, I use my tractor mostly for off roading and I don't want to pay for a new factory steering. I think direct steering would be too hard for off roading. any help would be great. thanks guys
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:39 pm

get one off of one from a junkyard
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:51 pm

I probably could, but I want one to last longer than what was on there originally, and I want it to have very little play....
here's the thing my tractor is at my cabin 60 mi and at my cabin i have very limited tools and supplies
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 8:30 pm

fast adam wrote:
I probably could, but I want one to last longer than what was on there originally, and I want it to have very little play....
here's the thing my tractor is at my cabin 60 mi and at my cabin i have very limited tools and supplies  

First thing you need to do is to stop trying to climb trees with it. LOL

Wink Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 8:45 pm

Whats broken really? Bent? worn out?

If  its gears id try to get a used steering shaft gear and sun gear from ebay or salvage yard.

If its a tie rod, i'd thread new ends on it, like a female or male heim joint witch will last a long time.

If the hole thing is junk and you want something different, it sounds like you need to get it to where you have more tools available. I too have a camp and my tractor is there. My steering is also junk. Im throwing in a new steering shaft i picked up last week so i can drive it till i can bring it back home and go under the knife.

I have a tractor salvage yard that has some old tractors, like john deere's and stuff, so i was going to adapt a john deere steering column/box to my tractor, just a bunch of custom work. Maybe even a gear box from a rototiller.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 10:01 pm

I was testing out my new wheel horse and i took out the whole factory sterring because its all bent worn out, i might just put in direct steer with a big sterriing wheel
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2014, 9:21 am

i put this in it with a ackerman extension.......now i have to find a sterring wheel........ http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-Go-Kart-Steering-Shaft-With-Welded-Arms-5-8-Dia-8140-28-/200888938048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec5e9ee40
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2014, 11:28 am

BMIkarts.com ? They have that axle and steering wheels that fit.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 9:27 pm

no I just used threaded rod and the long nuts to make a tie rod going to the stock axle. But i should have bought the package with the steering wheel because the one I already had didn't fit. I like the steering but it needs some tuning and a real steering wheel. its not to hard to turn as long as its moving but now Im looking for better tires now and a new steering wheel. but it starts to get scary in 6th lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 10:14 pm

Rack + pinion or worm gear box off a tiller/ snowblower.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 10:34 pm

Ya I thought about that but it has too much play
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 10:58 pm

A rack + pinion will have the least amount of play, aside from a properly built direct steering setup.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2014, 11:06 pm

Ya I'm probably gonna just stick with the direct steer I'm planning on putting skinny snow blower tires on it so it would be a little easier to steer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: craftsman steering totaled    craftsman steering totaled  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

craftsman steering totaled
Page 1 of 1