All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hillfolkr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:31 pm

My front tires are shot, and I have a decent set of replacements.
Just the standard chevron tread turf "whatever's"
I was thinking: if I shaved down every other row, they would be more like lugs and grip a little better. I was thinking of shaving across. Or basically eliminate every other chevron.
Has anyone tinkered with this?
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:04 pm

yeah actually, a TON of guys on here cut their turfs. from what i hear, it works good. most cut one row, leave a row, and so on. there is a few threads on here how to do it. i would reccomend a SHARP chisel and a propane torch. heat the chisel up and it will sail through the rubber like a knife through butter
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Cool deal. Sorry for the slow reply. I finally started tinkering last night. A thick cutoff wheel on the grinder worked ok, but smelled like I was doin a continuous burnout. I'm thinkin about maybe getting a tire groover, bu what I ended up doin is cutting the tread blocks in half, it kinda looks like an old square knob atv tire
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:24 pm

That's a great approach. The front tires don't do any driving or braking, so eliminating rows across won't do much.

Your approach basically doubled the number of edges on the sides of the tread lugs. Your steering should improve dramatically.

On harder, smoother surfaces, it's the square edges of the tread lugs that help bite the surface and provide traction. Siping the tread lugs will also help a lot if you're cruising on hard packed dirt or snow / ice. Cool
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:03 pm

Yea I'm mostly on the grass or dirt with maybe a little pavement. it definitely helps out on the grass quite a bit. I'd say it's worth it for that. I e done the left tire, and now it turns great to the right. Time to do the right tire!!
Back to top Go down
B440
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    

Back to top Go down

Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1