All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hillfolkr

Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Empty
PostSubject: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2014, 2:31 pm

My front tires are shot, and I have a decent set of replacements.
Just the standard chevron tread turf "whatever's"
I was thinking: if I shaved down every other row, they would be more like lugs and grip a little better. I was thinking of shaving across. Or basically eliminate every other chevron.
Has anyone tinkered with this?
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2014, 5:04 pm

yeah actually, a TON of guys on here cut their turfs. from what i hear, it works good. most cut one row, leave a row, and so on. there is a few threads on here how to do it. i would reccomend a SHARP chisel and a propane torch. heat the chisel up and it will sail through the rubber like a knife through butter
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2014, 12:33 pm

Cool deal. Sorry for the slow reply. I finally started tinkering last night. A thick cutoff wheel on the grinder worked ok, but smelled like I was doin a continuous burnout. I'm thinkin about maybe getting a tire groover, bu what I ended up doin is cutting the tread blocks in half, it kinda looks like an old square knob atv tire
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2014, 4:24 pm

That's a great approach. The front tires don't do any driving or braking, so eliminating rows across won't do much.

Your approach basically doubled the number of edges on the sides of the tread lugs. Your steering should improve dramatically.

On harder, smoother surfaces, it's the square edges of the tread lugs that help bite the surface and provide traction. Siping the tread lugs will also help a lot if you're cruising on hard packed dirt or snow / ice. Cool
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2014, 5:03 pm

Yea I'm mostly on the grass or dirt with maybe a little pavement. it definitely helps out on the grass quite a bit. I'd say it's worth it for that. I e done the left tire, and now it turns great to the right. Time to do the right tire!!
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2014, 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?    Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cutting tread, hoping for possible traction increase?
Page 1 of 1