All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
B440
B440

Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Empty
PostSubject: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2014, 11:41 pm

My younger brother seemed interested in off road tractors after talking to him about it at a garden tractor pull. I went home and scratched me head a bit, looked around, and thought; Hey I bet I have enough parts laying around to build a complete machine for him!

Pulled this Craftsman (LT1000 I guess? scratch ) from the back yard and took off the transaxle.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2222_zpsfea7a913

The shifter was stuck. I pulled it apart and found rust around the two-ball bearing detent area. I cleaned it up as best I could, but it still shifts hard compared to my machine. I wasn't going to lock it, but I remembered the two things that made my tractor so much fun: speed it up, and lock the rear.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2221_zps6b558fc8

It had grease, and I wanted to try using gear oil, so I made a vent/fill hole. Damn thing leaks. Resealed it twice, but still leaks. Oh well.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2224_zps80c48a9c

It had an 8" pulley (9" overall diameter, but 8" is what the belt rides in) and I put a 6" aluminum pulley on. Had to grind away some material to get the clip on.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2225_zps2e1d3a80

This is the trans mounted with a new kevlar belt. Had to go one inch shorter on the belt size to make it work. I used the stock belt keepers. I just bent them in closer to the pulley.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2241_zpsc0a57a51

For the front pulley, I had this 5" aluminum left over from previous testing. I used 1" copper pipe as spacers. I also reused the stock belt keeper after bending to fit better.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2242_zpsb03c7e53

I wasn't sure how well the stock tensioning system would work as it is designed to slip the belt, but so far, I can pop wheelies in 3rd gear pretty good cyclops

Got the engine running good after cleaning the carb, new air filter, changed oil, changed fuel filter. Cleaned under the shrouds and removed some of the shrouds. Left on the red cover and one side cover on the lower cylinder.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2237_zps7926f1b5

Took it for a quick romp and threw the hood off riding over a root, so I used this drawer clasp to hold down the hood.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2235_zpsa15050dc

I bought a couple tether kill switches from ebay awhile back and never used them. Found a clever way to mount it (it was designed for a bike/ATV). Safety first.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2236_zps1b704c97

Easy to splice in. One end is connected to the black kill wire, and the other end grounded to the engine. I'm going to add a tether to mine as soon as I figure out how to mount it.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2240_zpscd69727a

This is how she sits. Kept the stock tires on for now. They are more forgiving when cornering.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2234_zpsfb613daa

It's a six speed: nice and slow in first, and as fast as my machine in sixth. If he's still interested after a month of having it, I've got some ATV tires for the rear. For now, this project is complete cheers
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2014, 7:30 pm

Ok not quite done. drunken

Took it out for another shakedown and I managed to pop the belt off. It needs better keepers in the rear, I think? I'll have to ponder this a bit. Are there any threads that show just pictures of pulleys/belt routing/belt keepers? That would be really helpful.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2014, 8:21 pm

Round stock works good for most applications. In the rear pulley pic, it looks like the keeper it touching the belt?

Heres a good video on a great belt keeper.

Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2014, 9:08 pm

Thanks. Good ideas from the vid. Heh, I've been watching the Coney Roaders mud runs that FearlessFront filmed.
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2014, 8:13 pm

Ok, sorted out the belt issue... didn't use any advice from the video rabbit Didn't have the welder.

Took the back end off the frame for easier access and bolted an L-bracket on at the rear. Also readjusted the other brackets.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2259_zps541ed96f

All I had to do was drill one hole. The nut/bolt was already there and the height was close enough.
Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) IMG_2258_zps87622471

Now onto the next problem; Engine runs all day at idle, but seems to run out of fuel at full throttle. I can choke it as it dies and it'll come back to life for a little bit, then die again unless I choke it. Time for a carb/pump rebuild?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2014, 10:11 pm

Yea sounds like your jet is plugged up or the like.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2014, 10:56 pm

I bet it needs a fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2014, 8:37 pm

Glad I bought a complete carb kit because nearly every gasket ripped as I took it apart. There was junk in the bowl that clogged the main jet. Runs like a top now!

Put another Craftsman seat on (identical) with no rips.

Brought it to my father's house. He has 50 acres of rocky/soily/hilly woods to ride in with logging trails. Pretty good day. I ran out of gas on my rig Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) 2429134702 Forgot to fill up. After we got going again, the front end of this tractor got twisted up a little. I had removed the metal brackets that secure the front mowing deck rods, but I didn't put the bolts back in. Those bolts also hold the axle to the frame. We managed to fix it with a C-clamp, and a crescent wrench out on the trail.

The locker weld also popped again. Grr. Oh well. I'll fix that when all the trans oil leaks out and siezes the transaxle drunken

And the latch I put on there doesn't work well with the hood. It would work if the hood was bolted at the front, but it's the type that is easily removed when you open it up to a certain angle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)   Project Parts Bin (Craftsman) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project Parts Bin (Craftsman)
Page 1 of 1