All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forums

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Share | 

Craftsman off road tractor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm

well im figuring things out on this forum

Well this is a view from the side of my mower, as you see there is no hood at the moment and its slightly muddy.
[img][/img]

this next pic is the front of the engine, its dirty but i have cleaned it since ive taken the pic.
[img][/img]

well this one is blury but its the transaxel as you can see, now this tranny makes a weird clicking noise, is that normal or somthing wore out
[img][/img]

i was thinking this tire would do better than my current wheels, i just need a 5 bolt hub, i should of taken the hubs of the tractor i got the tires off of but i didn't think anything about that.
[img][/img]

i don't know if you can tell in this pic but, if you can you can see how much better the tire on the right is than the left, what i was planning to do is put the bigger tire on the rear and the rear on there now on the front, but i need to drill a short and not to big hole on the front spindles and thread it to put a bolt in rather than welding since i don't have a welder. I want one though
[img][/img]

im not done perfecting it yet but its a start, my gas pedal was once the throttle, and the bracket is actually a track bar from an old steel window. but i need to exten the little stubb of the pedal
[img][/img]

ok this is my bracket (which im not done cutting the flat steel you see behind it) for the snow plow when it snows but idk if im going to get any more snow, i live in southern ohio so idk maybe maybe not, but it works and is use full
[img][/img]

well thats all for now tell me what you all think about it so far and actually my lg shine cell phone doesn't do that bad with pictures,
Back to top Go down
arild365
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 pm

is that an LT4000? I have one like that. its gettin there. Welders are great too have almost essential.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
motorhead45102
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:42 pm

yea really, i also have a go kart with a 5hp briggs i can get going 35 40 with it, but i can't go off road like i can on this thing, also do you think that tire will do good the larger one. also would anyone know where i can get 5 bolt hub for that rim? its off of a old 1970 somthing john deere tractor
Back to top Go down
arild365
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

quads have em
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 pm

if i cant find one i was thinking about going to my grandpa's house and fabricate one, or have him make one at work, he machined and welded my sprocket on my go kart, but i think it will be bad @Ss if i put those tires on it, they are kinda large for the tractor i may have to cut some of the fender but if not its cutting it close.
Back to top Go down
arild365
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 pm

i have quad tires on my tractor. It never gets stuck in the mud and not too bad in the snow . they were 100$ each witch was like 3 days work
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Clicking from the trans isnt normal ... youd hear a lil bit of gear whirr if anything.

I know my GT craftsmans and 69 wheelhorse have 5 lug wheels ( ironically will fit either one- i put my WH wheels on my GT6000) - the craftsmans are splined to the axle, while the WH has a keyed hub - cept both are 1" axles.....

I know northern tools has 4 bolt ATV hubs- theyre like $40 each tho- i bot 2 keyed and two tapered bering for my golf kart rims- which are going on my wheelhorse mod.

I know trailer hubs are 5 bolt- cept they run berings- might be better to have the pair machined.....

That looks like my 85 LT12 - thats the one i trashed the trans on when i swapped pulleys w/o adding oil/grease to it.

Check out Fearlessfronts rockcrawler build- hed running rear tires on the front....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I think I know what you mean by that clicking. Is it on the input shaft when you do it by hand, it sounds like the input shaft gear isnt messing properly. Im new to working on trannys, but I sorted my rear end that was doing that, could be a case of trail and error.

As for those hubs, I dont thin you can get one for a 3/4" axle. Might be easier making one. If you can get some ATV tyres. THose tall tyres will be better, but they'll still have their limitations.

This looks like it will be good, nice strong chassis' they have. You got the hood for it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:06 pm

The front hubs on those ATV flanges are 3/4" - the rear keyed hubs are 1" ....

Transmissions are cake now- after i cracked open that one out of the weedeater tractor its like " wow that easy!" well cept for the kleen kut- thats a pain..... the MTD transaxles are like empty inside- basically just 4 main gears and then the pinion gears on the axles....

On normal trans, only thing to watch for is the shift detent ball n spring....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Yup, there really is no need to be put off by them, they are simple as hell! Glad I decided to delve into mine!
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Engines on the other hand are scarey.....im sorta afraid to actually fix one.
Back to top Go down
FearlessFront
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Nice looking machine! These craftsmans are fun to work on... Lots of room to put stuff. If your tranny is clicking, it may have a broken tooth somewhere. It's probably still drivable, but start looking for a parts machine, it's always nice to have some backup.

I rebuilt my engine, it was intresting. I was actually suprized that there wern't more moving parts in there. To me, engines make sence, trannys are a strange animal!
Back to top Go down
http://www.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Yeah i have like 4 motors that could be rebuilt in my parts shed- mostly 12HP's - one that possibly could work w/o opening it....ive cracked alot of em open, theres alot of weird stuff in there to me....

When my craftsmans trans crapped out, luckily i wasnt at full speed or slowing down- i just had fired it up, put it in first till i got to the street... shifted it to second, popped the clutch and.... stopped dead. - literally in the middle of the street ( was a side street) - ran up to the shed n grabbed another tractor cause i couldnt even push it off the road - was locked up completely- used a ratchet strap, and had to drag the thing all the way thru the yard - luckily i had a spare transmission, but that was the end as a modifed hot rod for it.

Gave no warning or anything , just locked up..... i cracked it open later n found about 5 of the main gear and couple of pinion teeth all broken off and lodged in the gear area.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 pm

ok more update no pics yet but, heres whats happening.
i could not get my giant pulley off the thing and i pulled the input shaft out of the trans, so i said fck, so i tore the case of the trans to find out i popped off a snap ring, Rolling Eyes
but i also found out there was a sht ton of metal shavings on the bolt holes on the brake caliper, i looked closley and found out the gears managed to not get any shavings, i don't know what this person did but must of taped the hole out or somthing.
so im going to clean the tranny case and gears, and re grease everything or should i use fluid? the trans isn't really all that sealed,
now i need to put the pulley with the input shaft stuck to it, in to a hydraulic press and press it out, then i need to make a hub for the smaller pulley, i think its either 5 or 6 but with big tires it shall fly,

also is it hard at all to mess with the shift key and gears?, also whats the chain in there for, revers? if so than my trans is a 6 speed cause theres 6 gears and a chain,
oh and i also found out that i have a broken piece of the case up front on a bracket, wonder how that happend?
Back to top Go down
arild365
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

i totaly agree with fearlessfront. ive rebuild my craftsmans motor twice (like all apart) and my vikings once and a couple other motors too (all briggs engines). I understand mostly every thing on em but trannys on the other hand... Im scared shitless to open the one on my crafftsman. i dont want to fuck it up cause its my only mudden tractor right now and i can go 3 days with out a romp Razz
Back to top Go down

Craftsman off road tractor

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next