All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)

Go down 
+8
redlinemotorsportts
jamcco
Ghyde97
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
kawasaki220
mr.modified
Thunderdivine
Carshowkid
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carshowkid

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2014, 9:56 pm

I figured that when you said they have an automotive service... I'm a sophomore in hs... And I'm taking automotive service in school next year
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2014, 7:08 pm

nice tires ive heared good reveiws on those
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2014, 7:20 pm

That's some nice parts ya got there Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2014, 5:16 am

dang on you moving right along lol im considering on buying me some of those hubs from bmi carts was going to on another project i "attempted" but following thru with the stalker build nothing special on it tho but, yea moving along good job man!!
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2014, 11:26 am

Thanks guys!

I got the tires mounted and on my tractor last Saturday and got the tractor rewired Sunday. I got my push button and everything sealed up, too. I'll have pictures tonight. I'm going to meet someone today after school to see their mower. It turns out they live a street over from me and I found them on MMM. Lol. My tractor is too fast for my trailer now. Pulling it in 6th gear causes the trailer to wobble back and forth. Maybe I'll get a new trailer. Or fix mine. I think I just need to air up the tires a bit. I'll post updates with that, too. Soon I'll be getting a new engine so I can actually run lights and not have to worry about the battery going dead after a few starts.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2014, 4:07 pm

Nice make sure ya tell him about our website too! Seems cool to find people in your area that you didn't know that mod mowers! So far I think I'm the only one in my general area Crying or Very sad .
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2014, 10:23 am

I'll tell him soon. I should be going to see him tomorrow. I'm going to ride my tractor over to his house.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Florida boys    Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2014, 12:25 pm

I know there is quite a few if us from Florida on her we should get a group together to ride in the state Forrest or something. Love your build so far. Your plans are a lot like mine
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2014, 10:38 pm

Except I don't have that ugly round body. Wink Just kidding. We should all try to meet up sometime; what part of Florida are you in?

And an update on the pictures: I'm too lazy to get them off my phone. That is all.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Flogrown   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 8:02 am

Dude I wish I had a square body like yours. I'm up in Jacksonville
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 8:17 am

I don't have a hood anymore. The lights busted out and the whole hood was limp after that. So I took it off. I'm going to build my own hood here soon.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 8:29 am

That will be sweet man. Have you seen the mud kings hood on YouTube. He is a friend of fearlessfronts. He made a cage out of conduit. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Do it dude Laughing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 8:42 am

I've seen it. I'm not a big fan of the hood; I'd rather have it covered. I was thinking about doing the tubing so it would be strong enough to have a seat up there in case somebody wanted a ride around.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 9:05 am

That would be pretty awesome. You could make it out of like flat stock then weld in like sheet metal with slats cut in it. It looks better in my mind(I have that problem a lot). What I thought about doing was making a hood then putting rod holders on it since I use my mower to get to my fishing spots. All ideas tho

Another thing you could of is make the hood frame out of pipe then put maybe steel mesh in the gaps. That way it would allow good cooling but also keep the big chunks of mud and crap out from the engine.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 7:09 pm

Here goes a long update. I may do it in parts because I'm lazy, but good news is I got all the pictures off my phone!

Update #1: Transaxle
I got the tranny all did up and pretty for her marriage with the chassis for the last time, hopefully! Lol. I oil filled her after I got that last little bushing I needed.

Here's the pretty tranny with her bead of RTV around all her edges:
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_155957

I got the bushing in a few days ago. More like a week or two now. Whoops...
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_154743

Don't forget to seal around the two bolt holes in the center of the transaxle like I almost did... It'll save you some time and valuable money in the form of RTV!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_160002

I got her case halves back together, and they fit together better than when I took them apart, if I do say so myself. Very Happy
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_161442

I got the transaxle mounted back up in its place. Please, people, take notes! Anti-seize is a wonderful thing. I coated every bolt with a little so it hopefully won't rust together. I even slathered up my input shaft the last time I put my pulley on and hopefully it won't be stuck on there for the next sorry sucker. Wink
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_181145

She's up all by herself!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141030_181652

I meant to get a picture of my tires and rims for you guys, but I can't seem to find one. I know it's on Facebook, but once again I'm lazy and I'm just going to post a picture of my mower as a whole. Lol.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141031_085045

Who doesn't like a nice rear end? Rolling Eyes Wink
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141031_115409

Now I'm moving on to wiring, guys! That sure was a fun afternoon. Something about cutting and stripping wire, cutting and heating shrink tubing, and smashing wire connectors make a calm afternoon. I am going to have to go back into my wiring harness to add another hot wire for something you guys will see very shortly... Lol. And another note here: Dielectric grease. I would use this anytime I have an electrical connection. It is supposed to insulate the connection and is another form of barrier from foreign objects; dirt, mud, water, that sort of stuff; from getting inside the wire and wreaking havoc.

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141102_113930

No moisture getting in there. Unless I submerge it forever. Lol.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141102_115704

Here's the way I routed the wire loom. I think it looks very clean and I am very pleased with it! That loom is what was on the mower when it was made; it's over 20 years old!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174016
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174043

I also cut out the fuel shut off solenoid wiring and clipped the end of the solenoid so it won't shut off the fuel. No picture of the cut tip... Sad
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174030

Here's my push button and toggle switch!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174110

Now onto some small mods I have either done, or am about to do. First up, I had to cut a little bit of plastic out of the shift lever guide thing. If I put the lever in reverse it would rub up against the tire. I cut the plastic out and now I have no safety of going from a forward gear to a reverse gear. I would not advise this to anyone unless they feel confident in their shifting abilities...
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174346

Here is how the lever rubbed up against the tire in reverse before I cut some plastic out:
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174401

New seat for me!
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174459

I need to cut these deck-mount plates off still...
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174610

And last but not least: the reason I have to run a new hot wire!!!! I got a pair of horns, which makes a 'set' I guess. Lol.
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 20141106_174646

That's everything for now. I hope you guys like what's going on so far. I know I love it! I'll try to get some action pictures here soon for you guys!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2014, 9:54 pm

I'm liking this! I think when you get to front tires you should get 8" gt rims and go 16 or 18 x 6.50-8 Carlisle snowhogs (itp holeshots). I liked mine on my old tractor. And I even like my new ones even though they are smaller. They can turn really good in soft stuff even with aggressive tires and posi. Definitely recommend!!
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 4:36 am

I'm lovin what you have done to this tractor. Just one question. WHEN ARE YOU GONNA PAINT IT???????!?????
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 8:30 am

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
I'm liking this! I think when you get to front tires you should get 8" gt rims and go 16 or 18 x 6.50-8 Carlisle snowhogs (itp holeshots). I liked mine on my old tractor. And I even like my new ones even though they are smaller. They can turn really good in soft stuff even with aggressive tires and posi. Definitely recommend!!

I'll keep that in mind. I was kind of leaning towards some ribbed tires up front. Maybe get a pair of ribs and do my own version of a knobby tire by cutting grooves into a ribbed tire until I get the traction I want. I'm not sure yet.

Ghyde97 wrote:
I'm lovin what you have done to this tractor. Just one question. WHEN ARE YOU GONNA PAINT IT???????!?????

Paint is last on my list. I have a bunch more body modifications, such as the ATV rack, multiple times I'll drill holes for mounting stuff, and I still have to make a hood. After that I will paint her. Anybody know of a good place to get bed liner?
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 9:59 am

Go take a look at my build and look at the bumper and rack I made. I just used bed frame and some flat stock from lowes. As far as bed liner I know lowes sells it and I'm pretty sure walmart does also. Tractor supply might have it too but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 11:25 am

Ghyde97 wrote:
Go take a look at my build and look at the bumper and rack I made. I just used bed frame and some flat stock from lowes. As far as bed liner I know lowes sells it and I'm pretty sure walmart does also. Tractor supply might have it too but I'm not sure.

I already went and looked this morning! Lol. I like it. That style front bumper is what I plan on doing. I haven't really though of an idea for a rear rack yet. I know I want something that has enough space for my tool box and a few other things.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 11:45 am

I used to have a jeep and that's where I got the idea for the front bumper. My rear rack can hold a come along 1gallon gas can 20ft of rope and a ammo box with a little extra room left. For both the rack and the bumper I had absolutely no plans unjust started cutting and welding.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 2:01 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
I used to have a jeep and that's where I got the idea for the front bumper. My rear rack can hold a come along 1gallon gas can 20ft of rope and a ammo box with a little extra room left. For both the rack and the bumper I had absolutely no plans unjust started cutting and welding.

A stinger is what I want to do. But I want bigger tubing than what you used. Which means I'll actually have to buy some. Unless I can find some around the house. I plan on having my tool box and a couple straps off my Dad's flat bed in the rack. Plus miscellaneous little stuff that I might need.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 2:23 pm

I used what I had. The side rails are angle from a bed frame. The parts that the bar is welded in are the wheel brackets for a bed frame that I cut up. And the bar was a big ass screw driver my dad had that had a broken tip that I heated and bent to what I wanted in a vice. Thicker pipe would be cool.

If I orginized my rack I could probably fit a lot more stuff but it's all just thrown up there and strapped down.

What I use for rope is dock line from west marine it's like 50c per foot for some with like a 6000lbs. Remaking strength and it has a lot of stretch which means it would be good for snatching.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 2:41 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
I used what I had. The side rails are angle from a bed frame. The parts that the bar is welded in are the wheel brackets for a bed frame that I cut up. And the bar was a big ass screw driver my dad had that had a broken tip that I heated and bent to what I wanted in a vice. Thicker pipe would be cool.

If I orginized my rack I could probably fit a lot more stuff but it's all just thrown up there and strapped down.

What I use for rope is dock line from west marine it's like 50c per foot for some with like a 6000lbs. Remaking strength and it has a lot of stretch which means it would be good for snatching.

I'm probably just going to save money and buy some pipe, and try to talk my Dad into getting a pipe bender. The straps my dad gave me are about 27' long each and are rated for like 5k lbs. They aren't stretchy, though.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
TooIngenious

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 6:14 pm

Turns out I need to buy a new solenoid. I even broke out the multimeter just to be sure I wired up everything correctly, which it turned out I did. Very Happy Here goes another $10... Oh well. At least it's well worth it. I hate having to get the jumper cables out each time I want to start the tractor up!

I also mounted the better looking seat on my tractor today. And knocked those stupid deck mounts off the front. Now I have like another 4" of ground clearance. I also got the horns prepped to get put into my tractor. All I need to do is drill holes and mount them. And get another push button to operate them. I already started on the wiring for it all. I just need to tuck it into the wire loom when I get the time.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2014, 8:19 pm

TooIngenious wrote:
Turns out I need to buy a new solenoid. I even broke out the multimeter just to be sure I wired up everything correctly, which it turned out I did. Very Happy Here goes another $10... Oh well. At least it's well worth it. I hate having to get the jumper cables out each time I want to start the tractor up!

I also mounted the better looking seat on my tractor today. And knocked those stupid deck mounts off the front. Now I have like another 4" of ground clearance. I also got the horns prepped to get put into my tractor. All I need to do is drill holes and mount them. And get another push button to operate them. I already started on the wiring for it all. I just need to tuck it into the wire loom when I get the time.

How come we don't have any pictures of the seat?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next