All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled


Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Now that's a good deal
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Little Update: My engine is good-as-dead to me. The coil is giving me nothing but problems. Which is a relatively cheap fix. But the expensive stuff is the stator. I'm not going to be driving my tractor around anywhere except my yard because of the coil. I found somebody on Facebook who is going to trade me an 18 hp Opposed Kohler. It's the Command-Series with pressure lube and electronic ignition. Guess what I'm going to be building out of that? Lol.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Your tractor? With pictures? Lol
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Carshowkid wrote:
Your tractor? With pictures? Lol

No new pictures. But I plan on getting the engine, making sure it runs, and then stripping it down to get rebuilt. If I do everything I want, I'll have a new cam, stronger rods/pistons, aluminum fly wheel, stronger valve springs, port and polish the intake, straight pipes. The whole 9 yards. I can't wait. Of course this is still the dreaming phase. I'll probably just tear it apart and clean it up a bit to say I did it. I might spend a few dollars on some rings and a gasket kit, too.

On a side note: does anybody ever wonder where the sayings we say come from? I mean, the whole 9 yards, I'd assume that to have a base in football somewhere, but I just can't think of it. Ah, Google is a wonderful thing. Nevermind. Wikipedia ruined my hopes. It is just something weird that happened.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Aluminum flywheel+removed govener=valve float at 5600 rpms!!!!
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Carshowkid wrote:
Aluminum flywheel+removed govener=valve float at 5600 rpms!!!!

I was planning on getting stronger springs.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2013-04-08
Posts : 883
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Central Pa

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:31 pm

That saying is from the Army Air Corp. Back in WWII the ammo belts on 50cal machine guns were 9 yards long. So when they let someone have it they said, "I gave 'em the whole nine yards." Meaning they emptied the gun at them.
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:22 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
That saying is from the Army Air Corp.  Back in WWII the ammo belts on 50cal machine guns were 9 yards long. So when they let someone have it they said, "I gave 'em the whole nine yards." Meaning they emptied the gun at them.

Well that's interesting. I like to find stuff out like that. My chemistry teacher was talking to us about how the saying "Kick the Bucket" or "Bucket List" came to be. When people used to be hanged they would be standing on something, in this case a bucket, and they would 'kick' the bucket out from underneath you. So basically it's a "Before I Die" list. Which we all knew what it meant, just nobody could figure out where it came from. We meaning my chemistry class.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2014-09-09
Posts : 63
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Jacksonville fl

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:54 pm

What program did you use to design the suspension and how do I get it?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
What program did you use to design the suspension and how do I get it?
autocad and it's free
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Ghyde97 wrote:
What program did you use to design the suspension and how do I get it?

Just like Carshowkid said, I used AutoCAD. It's free if you get the 'Education' version. It's the full version, but when you go to print your drawings it leaves a watermark on the paper so others know you are using the Education version and have not bought it. Or you can hand out $4k and buy it. But I prefer the silly watermark.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah... Cause I don't know if a lot of us 15 years olds have 4k sittin around.... Lol
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:08 am

Carshowkid wrote:
Yeah... Cause I don't know if a lot of us 15 years olds have 4k sittin around.... Lol

I know I sure don't.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:57 pm

TooIngenious wrote:
Carshowkid wrote:
Yeah... Cause I don't know if a lot of us 15 years olds have 4k sittin around.... Lol

I know I sure don't.
lol I know I don't!
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:18 am

Well I took my tractor out to my step dad's over in Weirsdale yesterday. Had a bunch of fun for about 15 minutes. Then my coil quit on me again. Mad It'll start back up today when I get home, though. I can't wait to get that new engine. Not only will it not quit running unless I run out of gas, but it also charges the battery! No more charging the battery after 12 starts. Lol. I'll also be able to put lights on my tractor.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:18 am

Yay! Lights!!!
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am

Carshowkid wrote:
Yay! Lights!!!

Yeah. I've got a couple lollipops that are going on there when I can get the charging system worked out. One of them will be a hazard light. I'm not sure what I'm doing for headlights yet. I'm thinking of using 4 lights: 2 for high beams and 2 for low beams. That seems the easiest. I'll also be getting The Duck hopefully. I want to see if I can find him with LED lights. That would be sweet.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 am

The Duck?

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:11 am

Thunderdivine wrote:
The Duck?

It's a hood ornament from the movie "Convoy". Real great movie. The movie was put out around 1976. It was during the trucker movement. Smokey and the Bandit pretty much overshadowed the movie, though.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 am

TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
The Duck?

It's a hood ornament from the movie "Convoy". Real great movie. The movie was put out around 1976. It was during the trucker movement. Smokey and the Bandit pretty much overshadowed the movie, though.

Yeah One of my fav. movies. So can you get the duck as a cheap hood ornament? Very Happy

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:37 am

Thunderdivine wrote:
TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
The Duck?

It's a hood ornament from the movie "Convoy". Real great movie. The movie was put out around 1976. It was during the trucker movement. Smokey and the Bandit pretty much overshadowed the movie, though.

Yeah One of my fav. movies. So can you get the duck as a cheap hood ornament? Very Happy

Define cheap. Lol. They're like $175 for a nice casting of the original molds. The guy also sells castings that have problems with the finish (they're plated I think) for like $85. So I might be able to get a cheap one and get it stripped and plated, or however I want to get it finished. I'm not sure yet, though.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:43 am

TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
The Duck?

It's a hood ornament from the movie "Convoy". Real great movie. The movie was put out around 1976. It was during the trucker movement. Smokey and the Bandit pretty much overshadowed the movie, though.

Yeah One of my fav. movies. So can you get the duck as a cheap hood ornament? Very Happy

Define cheap. Lol. They're like $175 for a nice casting of the original molds. The guy also sells castings that have problems with the finish (they're plated I think) for like $85. So I might be able to get a cheap one and get it stripped and plated, or however I want to get it finished. I'm not sure yet, though.

ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:45 am

Thunderdivine wrote:
ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

It probably would. I'm just going to watch eBay for a nice used one. As long as there aren't any cracks in the casting I'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am

TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

It probably would. I'm just going to watch eBay for a nice used one. As long as there aren't any cracks in the casting I'll be happy.

Yeah but aren't they very big also?

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
TooIngenious
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-01
Posts : 74
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Belleview, FL

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:50 am

Thunderdivine wrote:
TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

It probably would. I'm just going to watch eBay for a nice used one. As long as there aren't any cracks in the casting I'll be happy.

Yeah but aren't they very big also?

They're a bit longer than my hand, about as wide. I can take a picture of one when I get home. My dad has a black one on his Volvo.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Join date : 2012-12-21
Posts : 2082
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Norway, Europe

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:55 am

TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
TooIngenious wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:
ok that's a no, lol - That's expensive. The shipping would probably kill me too Very Happy

It probably would. I'm just going to watch eBay for a nice used one. As long as there aren't any cracks in the casting I'll be happy.

Yeah but aren't they very big also?

They're a bit longer than my hand, about as wide. I can take a picture of one when I get home. My dad has a black one on his Volvo.

Cool

_______________________________________________
*Thunderdivine*
My Custom Racing Mower Build
JD210R - Racing Mower, Sidebuild
My Vintage John Deere 110, 1967 model
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)   

Back to top Go down
 
Craftsman 4k (I Have Yet To Name Her)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Craftsman mower
» 1989 Craftsman II
» tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)
» Craftsman Off road
» New craftsman.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: