All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 MTD Ranch King

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled


Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:37 am

Well so got my plow on and had a little problem with vari drive but it's all fixed now! If your guys want info go here http://www.atltf.com/t4376-mtd-vari-drive-problems#59827
And got a really cool picture today but I'm on my phone... And it doesn't let me post pictures...
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 am

are you going to get atv rear tres for this if so the best size tire for these mtd are 18-21 inch tires they get good traction when there that size
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:53 am

kawasaki220 wrote:
are you going to get atv rear tres for this if so the best size tire for these mtd are 18-21 inch tires they get good traction when there that size
yes I'm getting a set of Duro HF243 ATV Tire.... I don't exactly rember the size but think it was 21 tall? Not exactly sure... Origional my I wanted a set of Kendra bear claws... But my dad said no... Even though it's my money and my tractor... Whatever
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-13
Posts : 1311
Forum Rep : 1
Location : NW USA

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:15 am

Carshowkid wrote:
kawasaki220 wrote:
are you going to get atv rear tres for this if so the best size tire for these mtd are 18-21 inch tires they get good traction when there that size
yes I'm getting a set of Duro HF243 ATV Tire.... I don't exactly rember the size but think it was 21 tall? Not exactly sure... Origional my I wanted a set of Kendra bear claws... But my dad said no... Even though it's my money and my tractor... Whatever

he knows what his lawn will look like after you go for a spin...
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 am

1997 Murray wrote:
Carshowkid wrote:
kawasaki220 wrote:
are you going to get atv rear tres for this if so the best size tire for these mtd are 18-21 inch tires they get good traction when there that size
yes I'm getting a set of Duro HF243 ATV Tire.... I don't exactly rember the size but think it was 21 tall? Not exactly sure... Origional my I wanted a set of Kendra bear claws... But my dad said no... Even though it's my money and my tractor... Whatever

he knows what his lawn will look like after you go for a spin...
... Yeah.. Haha
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm

lok really but bear claws will break your trans as soon as you spin youll break the case or somthing
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:30 pm

kawasaki220 wrote:
lok really but bear claws will break your trans as soon as you spin youll break the case or somthing
why? Are they a heavy tire?
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm

kinda not realy but there wide so and your tractor isnt locked so when one tire comes off the ground and then u get traction is will try to twist your trans and after a lil of that it will wear uot you case and strip you spider gears and if its locked mtd trans want to move with the case so when its got bear claws its going to rip off the fram my cusoin had a mtd with bear claws he went threw 3 trans before he got a murray with a 820 in it and he was only 80 pound so the trans r just weak when it comes to big ags or bear claws
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Gotch ya! So yeah... It probley was a good I didn't get bears
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 17
Join date : 2015-01-08
Posts : 146
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Vermont

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:06 pm

Any fairly aggressive tire will cook a mtd fnr trans in no time. They are the cheapest of the cheap. If you get the opportunity some day I say get a peerless, or even a spicer will be an upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:46 pm

802 Customs wrote:
Any fairly aggressive tire will cook a mtd fnr trans in no time. They are the cheapest of the cheap. If you get the opportunity some day I say get a peerless, or even a spicer will be an upgrade.
yeah... I will upgrade one day... Just not exactly sure... Cause I kinda like the vari drive... But I'm thinking one day get a 206 msd just cause if I ever break it I could replace the case with a 203 case... But everything is up in the air... No set in stone plans...
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Age : 16
Join date : 2014-01-22
Posts : 546
Forum Rep : 0
Location : north carolina

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm

it would be kinda cool if you were to leave the vary drive clutch thing that goes back and forth and put a peerles in it so it would have 6 gears on the peerless and 7 on the vary drive its like a 42 speed
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:38 pm

kawasaki220 wrote:
it would be kinda cool if you were to leave the vary drive clutch thing that goes back and forth and put a peerles in it so it would have 6 gears on the peerless and 7 on the vary drive its like a 42 speed
yeah that's kinda what I want to do... Also my fnr transaxle has the same size axles as a 206... So I wouldn't have to change rims
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert
avatar

Age : 19
Join date : 2013-11-13
Posts : 1311
Forum Rep : 1
Location : NW USA

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Carshowkid wrote:
kawasaki220 wrote:
it would be kinda cool if you were to leave the vary drive clutch thing that goes back and forth and put a peerles in it so it would have 6 gears on the peerless and 7 on the vary drive its like a 42 speed
yeah that's kinda what I want to do... Also my fnr transaxle has the same size axles as a 206... So I wouldn't have to change rims

you might have to swap in the mtd axles, because the mtds use a flat spot in the axle and the mst has a keyway.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:15 pm

1997 Murray wrote:
Carshowkid wrote:
kawasaki220 wrote:
it would be kinda cool if you were to leave the vary drive clutch thing that goes back and forth and put a peerles in it so it would have 6 gears on the peerless and 7 on the vary drive its like a 42 speed
yeah that's kinda what I want to do... Also my fnr transaxle has the same size axles as a 206... So I wouldn't have to change rims

you might have to swap in the mtd axles, because the mtds use a flat spot in the axle and the mst has a keyway.  
oh yeah... I forgot about that... Um... Whatever if I have too I have to... I'm not too worried about it... Worse case I buy golf cart hubs and use my golf cart rims in my backyard...
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:33 pm

So today... I went for a little ride just around my front yard nothing special... And the tractor was surging really bad! I couldn't go 5ft without it dieing... I knew it was a gas delivery problem... But just invade I check the air filter just incase it isn't dirty or something. It was a tiny bit.. So I checked the gas line everything was ok... Then I eventually figured it was the carb. So I tuned up the carb...and it runs like a kitten... Nothing special but just figured I'd tell you guys on here...

Also when I turned it off with the air filter off... I had a little smoke come back through the carb... So I think my rings are starting to go bad... If it's blow by... But if not it may just be oil through pcv or something like that.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-08-27
Posts : 186
Forum Rep : 0
Location : PNW

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Naw, i wouldn't worry bout that little bit of smoke, all of the Briggs motors i have ever owned have dine that, even after a fresh rebuild. it is because when you shut it off, the engine rolls back a bit before the flywheel stops, causing a bit of smoke. it is pretty normal...
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:10 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
Naw, i wouldn't worry bout that little bit of smoke, all of the Briggs motors i have ever owned have dine that, even after a fresh rebuild. it is because when you shut it off, the engine rolls back a bit before the flywheel stops, causing a bit of smoke. it is pretty normal...
ok thank you cause I was kinda worried... Cause I've never rebuilt an engine... And I didn't really feel like doing it... In case my engine was bad
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-08-27
Posts : 186
Forum Rep : 0
Location : PNW

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:03 pm

rebuilding an engine is SUPER easy, as long as you have a piston ring compressor... and a valve spring compressor.... but if you have both of those it is just a matter of buying the parts and sitting down and doing it.. nothing to be scared of IMO
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
rebuilding an engine is SUPER easy, as long as you have a piston ring compressor... and a valve spring compressor.... but if you have both of those it is just a matter of buying the parts and sitting down and doing it.. nothing to be scared of IMO
i think I have a valve compressor... But I don't think I have a ring compresser
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-08-27
Posts : 186
Forum Rep : 0
Location : PNW

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:08 pm

meh... a largeish hose clamp would work in a pinch... but yeah... are you going to try and make any power with this?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:11 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
meh...  a largeish hose clamp would work in a pinch... but yeah... are you going to try and make any power with this?
... Not exactly sure... I kinda want to remove govener and do a longer rod and a cam... But... It's a mud/utility tractor... It's not a racing mower... If it was... I would have my other tractor which is a 60's huffy
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-08-27
Posts : 186
Forum Rep : 0
Location : PNW

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Ok, since it is a mud mower, i would recommend (and i do this to EVERYTHING) removing the head and taking a dremel, air grinder, etc. and smoothing out any rough ridges in the combustion chamber, and basically make is so smooth you could fry an egg on it. then if you have a mill, deck it a bit, and if you dont, either put it on the belt sander but being VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GO TOO DEEP, or do the same thing with a flat file. now this will gain a very noticeable amount of power, and fuel efficiency. now for the governor, i WOULD NOT remove it, but rather use 2 zip ties and zip tie the governor spring halfway. this will put ya at about 4700 to 5000 rpm, which you don't want to ride @ for too long, but will still give you the convenience of a governor. the only reason for decking the head is to regain lost compression BTW. i have noticed that if you deck the head for extra performance, you gain extra heat, which you would not want on a mud mower.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:35 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
Ok, since it is a mud mower, i would recommend (and i do this to EVERYTHING) removing the head and taking a dremel, air grinder, etc. and smoothing out any rough ridges in the combustion chamber, and basically make is so smooth you could fry an egg on it. then if you have a mill, deck it a bit, and if you dont, either put it on the belt sander but being VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GO TOO DEEP, or do the same thing with a flat file. now this will gain a very noticeable amount of power, and fuel efficiency. now for the governor, i WOULD NOT remove it, but rather use 2 zip ties and zip tie the governor spring halfway. this will put ya at about 4700 to 5000 rpm, which you don't want to ride @ for too long, but will still give you the convenience of a governor. the only reason for decking the head is to regain lost compression BTW. i have noticed that if you deck the head for extra performance, you gain extra heat, which you would not want on a mud mower.
yeah wouldn't want extra heat... Unless there is a way to cool it... Maybe make a liquid cooled?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:50 am

Is there a place I can buy parts for a 12hp flathead? Or do people just have to find parts that will fit? Cause I know 212 predator there are a butt load of aftermarkets parts... Is there parts like that for a lot of engines or not really...
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 18
Join date : 2014-07-22
Posts : 347
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Downers Grove Illinois

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Ok so now much has been done... But is just figure I'd tell you guys... This forum is amazing!!! I have learned so much in the past couple months... Just reading stuff and asking questions... But I feel really bad cause I feel like I'm not doing a lot of updating... Or very good updates... Like redlinemotorsports...his tractor was like BAM!!! Instant popular... But I'm still waiting on my Christmas tires... We have been having problems getting tires but they should be here this weekend (they are rear tires)... Hopefully... I'm getting these http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/atv-utv-powersports/Tires33
Carlisle bought out duro's mold of the same tire... But I'm getting 22x11-8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   

Back to top Go down
 
MTD Ranch King
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 8. Louis Saha - King Twit-ter (Everton & Tottenham reject)
» king and link rebuild
» The 38 th West Coast Van Nationals at King City 2010
» Map of the King River region of Tasmania land allotments surveyed and leased for gold.
» king pins of the under carriage world...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: