All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Ranch King

Go down 
+6
1997 Murray
Carshowkid
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
kawasaki220
Thunderdivine
willis923
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZSmachines

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2015, 9:08 pm

meh... a largeish hose clamp would work in a pinch... but yeah... are you going to try and make any power with this?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2015, 9:11 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
meh...  a largeish hose clamp would work in a pinch... but yeah... are you going to try and make any power with this?
... Not exactly sure... I kinda want to remove govener and do a longer rod and a cam... But... It's a mud/utility tractor... It's not a racing mower... If it was... I would have my other tractor which is a 60's huffy
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
ZSmachines

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2015, 9:18 pm

Ok, since it is a mud mower, i would recommend (and i do this to EVERYTHING) removing the head and taking a dremel, air grinder, etc. and smoothing out any rough ridges in the combustion chamber, and basically make is so smooth you could fry an egg on it. then if you have a mill, deck it a bit, and if you dont, either put it on the belt sander but being VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GO TOO DEEP, or do the same thing with a flat file. now this will gain a very noticeable amount of power, and fuel efficiency. now for the governor, i WOULD NOT remove it, but rather use 2 zip ties and zip tie the governor spring halfway. this will put ya at about 4700 to 5000 rpm, which you don't want to ride @ for too long, but will still give you the convenience of a governor. the only reason for decking the head is to regain lost compression BTW. i have noticed that if you deck the head for extra performance, you gain extra heat, which you would not want on a mud mower.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2015, 9:35 pm

ZSmachines wrote:
Ok, since it is a mud mower, i would recommend (and i do this to EVERYTHING) removing the head and taking a dremel, air grinder, etc. and smoothing out any rough ridges in the combustion chamber, and basically make is so smooth you could fry an egg on it. then if you have a mill, deck it a bit, and if you dont, either put it on the belt sander but being VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GO TOO DEEP, or do the same thing with a flat file. now this will gain a very noticeable amount of power, and fuel efficiency. now for the governor, i WOULD NOT remove it, but rather use 2 zip ties and zip tie the governor spring halfway. this will put ya at about 4700 to 5000 rpm, which you don't want to ride @ for too long, but will still give you the convenience of a governor. the only reason for decking the head is to regain lost compression BTW. i have noticed that if you deck the head for extra performance, you gain extra heat, which you would not want on a mud mower.
yeah wouldn't want extra heat... Unless there is a way to cool it... Maybe make a liquid cooled?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2015, 1:50 am

Is there a place I can buy parts for a 12hp flathead? Or do people just have to find parts that will fit? Cause I know 212 predator there are a butt load of aftermarkets parts... Is there parts like that for a lot of engines or not really...
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2015, 8:53 pm

Ok so now much has been done... But is just figure I'd tell you guys... This forum is amazing!!! I have learned so much in the past couple months... Just reading stuff and asking questions... But I feel really bad cause I feel like I'm not doing a lot of updating... Or very good updates... Like redlinemotorsports...his tractor was like BAM!!! Instant popular... But I'm still waiting on my Christmas tires... We have been having problems getting tires but they should be here this weekend (they are rear tires)... Hopefully... I'm getting these http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/atv-utv-powersports/Tires33
Carlisle bought out duro's mold of the same tire... But I'm getting 22x11-8
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2015, 3:18 pm

well finally got off my butt and turned on my computer... here is some pictures I have from the tractor and just driving it around... and I will try to be better with posting pictures and not just telling you about what happen..MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Front_10MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Tracto10MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Tracto11 MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Tracto14MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Tracto15MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Tracto16
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2015, 7:24 pm

So well I guess I forgot to tell you guys... But I broke my transaxle a few weeks ago... So today I bought a peerless 930... Not sure if I want to keep the vari drive or pitch it... You guys decide?

Last edited by Carshowkid on April 5th 2015, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2015, 9:07 pm

Thing looks cool without the fenders and those tires on there. I don't know about the varidrive thing, maybe it would be simpler without it, but if it works ok... Depends on what you feel like working on I guess.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2015, 9:19 pm

mr.modified wrote:
Thing looks cool without the fenders and those tires on there. I don't know about the varidrive thing, maybe it would be simpler without it, but if it works ok... Depends on what you feel like working on I guess.
thanks! And I was thinking of just taking the vari drive out. Just cause I'm gonna pulley swap it and I don't want to get confused with belts and stuff and I'm not sure I might leave the fenders off But if I ever go mudding... It's gonna be a free for all
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2015, 6:20 pm

no keep it so u cant have a double speed so you goes twice as fast or twice as slow
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2015, 8:54 am

kawasaki220 wrote:
no keep it so u cant have a double speed so you goes twice as fast or twice as slow
thats what I'm thinking... But I don't want to have a pulley size that will make it go too fast... Cause I only want to go 20mph at most
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2015, 7:33 pm

Those are the tires I'm thinking about. How do you like them?
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2015, 7:49 pm

802 Customs wrote:
they are awesome! Work amazing in snow haven't dropped them in mud yet... Will soon hopefully soon... Are you planning on buying a set?
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2015, 8:55 pm

Carshowkid wrote:
802 Customs wrote:
they are awesome! Work amazing in snow haven't dropped them in mud yet... Will soon hopefully soon... Are you planning on buying a set?
Possibly, I have to get some tires for my JD, Turf savers are complete junk in snow.
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2015, 8:56 pm

Yeah I got these cause I'll mud with them and I have a snow plow... And stock turfs are junk in snow
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2015, 3:40 pm

Sorry I haven't posted lately but I got my 930 in w/ vari drive with a 6 inch pulley on rear instead of 9inch it goes I'm guessing about 20-30 mph
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2015, 12:06 pm

Sweet got any pics? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Ranch King   MTD Ranch King - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Ranch King
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next