All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to beef up steering?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jackduup

How to beef up steering? Empty
PostSubject: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2011, 3:20 pm

Everyone says that one of the first things you should do is beef up steering. However I have no idea wat to do. I mean there is a little play in my steering wheel but I don't know what to do. Please help. I don't know if like maybe get bigger steering rods or something please help. Wat do people do to beef up there steering so it's strongerp
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2011, 8:31 pm

everyone says beef up the steering? i have never heard anyone say beef up the steering nor recomended to anyone to beef up the steering. the steering works fin and ive only once bent a tierod for the 3+ years ive been with mowers and i beat the living shit out of my stuff. know if your talking about speed as in 15+ and 20+ in some cases everyone says direct steer is #1 and this is because with speeds the gear system and the play in the steering wheel this adds up to you eventualy eating massive shit. but if your looking to mud dont worrry about it the stock stuff works great
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2011, 9:19 am

It depends- most offroaders have more issues with bent/broken spindles then steering - bigger wheels on stock 3/4" spindles put alot of stress on them.

Ford Boi upgraded his front axle/spindles check out his build in the forum.

Also depends what type of tractor you have and what shape the stock steering is in- if the original steering parts are worn out, they should be replaced - i had a serious issue with my stock mowing 99 weedeater ( craftsman)- main part of the steering was so worn out, it wouldnt even steer- had to tear it all apart and rebuild it.

All lawntractors will have a lil bit of play in the steering - just because the tolerances arent built as tight as say a vehicle , because of speed differences- cars go faster then tractors do- if its for mudding- as Redzz02 mentioned - stock should be fine BUT the spindles/front axle could be upgraded - for speed setups, direct steer is the best alternative.
Back to top Go down
jackduup

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2011, 3:17 pm

Hey thanks alot I'll just leave it how it is till it brakes cause I'm not goin speedy it's just for mud. Prob like around 15 max. I just gotta find wat pully setup to use I think on fearless frond YouTube I think said a 4 inch in the front and 5 in the back
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2011, 3:41 pm

I bet the reason for the question is that on so many sites they stress safety, to the point that they imply you'll kill yourself if you don't upgrade steering and brakes. Obviously it's important to steer and stop, but I think it should be up to the individual to make their tractor safe, along with opperating it safely. Like most have said, slower you go, less it matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2011, 7:25 am

I cringe a bit at people wanting to make their tractors faster w/o proper mods - basically from personal experience.

My craftsman was plenty fast, had no brakes, stock steering- was ALL over the place going at least 30mph - i ran out of road ( little traveled ) before i could fully wind it up - had to slow down more then 200 feet before the end or risk going thru a fence at the end. Then came the day i just started up, ready to go for a run and the trans locked up - what if that happened when i was doing 30mph? I wasnt even wearing a helmit.

My murray wasnt much better- cept it went faster with the twin, no brakes and even looser steering . I nearly rolled it more then a few times and flopped it over trying to find neutral on concrete .

On my mod MTD - thats why im leaning to a straight axle - to put some decent brakes on it - its handles fantasic tho - even better with the front axle locked and lowered - and its still stock steering for now.

Im still planning on more mods, but built safer- like the wizard - thatll have brakes and lower stance.

Back to top Go down
boxmaker
boxmaker

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 10:04 pm

i bent the main steering axle on my tractor (not sure what its called). Its the piece of square steel that articulates up and down, the spindles are attached to it. Anyways, I bent the crap out of it and the steel actually split apart. Its being held together temporalily with a c clamp right now lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2011, 3:23 pm

Front axle - for racing/offroading a single piece of heavy wall steel tubing should be used OR the stock front axle should be braced/reinforced and welded up.

For my fast mods im using the stock front axles, but im going to weld em up solid , and reinforce em and make new spindles out of 3/4" bolts- they wont swivel either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to beef up steering?   How to beef up steering? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to beef up steering?
Page 1 of 1