All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 7/29/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Well I bought a craftsman Squarebody a while back that I have decided that I am going to create a virtually unstoppable mud mower that will double as a recovery vehicle to pull my friends out when they get stuck. I would ideally like this to be able to pull a small truck around, too.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Well my ipod Is being ornery and not allowing me to post pics right now so pics will come later
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:37 pm

@ZSmachines wrote:
I would ideally like this to be able to pull a small truck around, too.

Why not just fix the truck?

lol!

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

I Mean like out of the mud or snow lol lol!
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm

You should give it a bad ass front bull bar also so if you can't pull your friends you can push them out. lol!
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:50 pm

She already Has one lol if my iPod would cooperate I could put pics up but nono can't do that lol
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:56 am

You gotta fix that sucker cause everyone knows "this forum is useless with out pictures"
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:25 pm

Last edited by ZSmachines on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Doc:I have a I have a question, what should I sowing my caster camber, all of that stuff in this for the easiest steering, best crawling ability, and best performance in the mud?
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 pm

0 camber,0 toe in,Ackerman setup, and 8-10 degrees of positive caster. That is what most use (including myself). I personally like it like that. Seems to handle really good on and off road.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 pm

OK, so if i Am right, the top of the kingpin will be angled backwards for positive right?
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Yes. It would be angled towards the rear of the machine.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:33 am

i will help out.

Last edited by 1997 Murray on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks a ton, i don't think the last one belongs with this post lol... lol! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 am

That bumper is bad ass. I did the same stinger style on mine
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I don't see anything wrong.

Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Hahahaha yep! And thanks Ghyde, I made this in about an hour and a half in my advanced metals shop in school. All of it is arc welded and all of the welds look like junk lol! This semester all of the shop instructors got rid of the old Lincoln tombstone welders for these new pos miller buzz boxes... But I plan on making a large rear bumper that will house an atv winch and placing a fair lead on the front bumper, too so that if I need my winch up front, I will just sting the cable under the tractor! And then I would have more traction by pulling in reverse, as the rear end would be pulled down!
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:30 pm

But I don't know how to make a cool rear bumper.. I want some super cool looks but also functionality.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:13 pm

@ZSmachines wrote:
Doc:I have a I have a question, what should I sowing my caster camber, all of that stuff in this for the easiest steering, best crawling ability, and best performance in the mud?

LMM pretty much convered it, but I will add that I usually like some KPI, too- especially with a locked rearend. Somewhere around 10° is usually good.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Oh ok thanks, but I still am stuck on what to do for a rear bumper...
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:51 pm

SO I have decided... Tecumseh engines are not fun. I just about burnt up my already sketchy starter trying to start it today, had a small bit of smoke come out. This motor has 145 lbs of compression and absolutely hates to start when cold.i don't know if it is just the carb or the whole engine. It took approximately 2 hours to get finally fired up. I was wondering: is this a good enough motor to somehow fit a different brand carb onto and buy a new starter that will spin it better, or should I save my money and go for an ohv briggs.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm

went on an ice romp

Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Last edited by willis923 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : pics fixed- willis923)
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am

well just wondering.. i have another craftsman similar to this one and i want to do a tricycle front end just for looks and so it will turn on a dime for doing chores and stuff. any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle   

Back to top Go down

Craftsman Squarebody Unstoppable mud mower/ recovery vehicle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next