All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Transaxle locking problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Empty
PostSubject: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:12 pm

So I locked my transaxle today and when I put it all back together it turned fine with out the cover. I could spin the axles by hand and the input and everything. Then I put the cover on and now I cant budge the axles at all even with tires on there for more leverage however I can turn the input shaft and it turns the axles. Why is this? Can someone explain this to me? If it helps I used fearlessfronts method of locking. I also have no clue what kind of transaxle it is but I know it's a Tecumseh pearless.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:28 pm

It'e very possible that you either welded it out of alignment, or you didn't stagger your welds, and something heat warped.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:30 pm

My dad seems to think that maybe something is binding up since it turns freely when not together. Would that be a possibility and if so how can I fix that?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:40 pm

Open it up again, and make sure all the components are seated properly. Pay special attention to the bronze bushings. They have a little tab on them, that indexes slots in the case. get it out of place, and things WILL bind.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 8:44 pm

Ok I will try that tom after school. Thank you very much doc. Major help. I was hoping it would be something as simple as binding.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 9:05 pm

Don't get exctied just yet, that's only ONE possibility. The other (I mentioned earlier) is a lot uglier. I'm hoping for you, though.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 9:18 pm

All I can do is wait till I can open it up and figure it out
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2014, 9:59 pm

like doc said. I'd pull the two axles out, inspect and make sure the bushings are right, then put it back together. if it turns over easy like that, then its the axles binding, easy to weld it wrong, it has to be set in the bottom case exactly right. worst comes to worse, you can very carefully cut the welds on the pin and grind it out, and re weld it correctly.
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 7:55 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
like doc said. I'd pull the two axles out, inspect and make sure the bushings are right, then put it back together. if it turns over easy like that, then its the axles binding, easy to weld it wrong, it has to be set in the bottom case exactly right. worst comes to worse, you can very carefully cut the welds on the pin and grind it out, and re weld it correctly.  

Ok thank you both
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 8:41 pm

when you spin the axles with the case opened up, and if at some point the bull gear or axle shaft lifts up out of position, then you have either welded the spiders wrong or you just simply put the locker back in wrong......this is another possibility
Back to top Go down
Ghyde97
Ghyde97

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2014, 10:33 pm

I have since figured it out however while doing donuts in the gravel next to my house i heard a loud ass pop then i pulled into my driveway and put it up on jack stands. When i spun one tire the other spun the same direction however i can hold one and spin the other. Idk what this would be called cuase its not open but i do know that my weld broke so i need to re-weld it.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2014, 6:42 am

Ghyde97 wrote:
Idk what this would be called

I beleieve the technical term is "busted" Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle locking problems    transaxle - Transaxle locking problems  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transaxle locking problems
Page 1 of 1