All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman off road tractor

Go down 
+11
fetters18
Ford Boi
indianaboy93
MSteele323
CMHN
Yamaharules163
Webmaster
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
arild365
motorhead45102
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 10:03 pm

my 11hp says the same thing, clean head every either 100 or 500 can't exactly remember the sticker.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 8:36 am

This Is coming along very nicely! I can;t wait to see it all done. It looks like you've put a ton of time into it.

That trans should work like brand new! good work!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2010, 3:03 pm

Motorhead45102 : actually i read that on a lawntractor racing site - about polishing carbs and intake ports , Ive researched into modding tractors quite a bit .

My goal on my mods are to leave the motor stock ( cept for the air cleaner) and governer intact- on that ex mod murray i was darn near close to 50mph - was just too fast for a nearly stock tractor. Im planning on redoing it sometime soon - probably wont be as fast tho.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2010, 8:25 pm

well, just to let you know, i still am going to finish this project, but my grandpa is kept really busy at work on overhauling this big machine, that he has no time to make that piece for me. but he told me they are getting close to being finished.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2010, 7:48 am

There's always something stopping us from finishing our projects. Hope you can get back to it soon!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Good news   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 10:19 pm

Well good new people, my grandpa told me today that he has finally started working on the piece for my transmission. He isn't finished yet, but once he's done making the piece, well will then have to see how it fits on the gear and the housing and then weld(with very nice strong welds) the axle shafts to the center piece, then i can start working on my mudder again and get the trans back together. Now before i put her together im going to install a fluid level device to make sure i maintain proper fluid level so i don't burn out the transmission. Once i install the transmission im going to figure a way to mount the skid protector plate under the trans to protect it from hard driving, cause the housing is aluminum. Then i need to figure out a new shift lever that will clear the belt. well more updates later on. Maybe that since im taking my time on this project that it will turn out quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 10:45 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
Well good new people, my grandpa told me today that he has finally started working on the piece for my transmission. He isn't finished yet, but once he's done making the piece, well will then have to see how it fits on the gear and the housing and then weld(with very nice strong welds) the axle shafts to the center piece, then i can start working on my mudder again and get the trans back together. Now before i put her together im going to install a fluid level device to make sure i maintain proper fluid level so i don't burn out the transmission. Once i install the transmission im going to figure a way to mount the skid protector plate under the trans to protect it from hard driving, cause the housing is aluminum. Then i need to figure out a new shift lever that will clear the belt. well more updates later on. Maybe that since im taking my time on this project that it will turn out quite nicely.
it is always good to take your time. this machine should turn out sick
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 10:52 pm

yeah i hope to get there, i will have plenty ideas.
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 10:53 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
yeah i hope to get there, i will have plenty ideas.
same with either of my mowers just the problem is money haha
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 10:59 pm

well money isn't too big of an issue, for i have a job, but money is still limited though.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Well One step closer   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2010, 8:42 pm

Here is the pictures of the hub thing that me and grandpa has designed, he finally made it but its going to need some minor adjustments.

here is the hub assembly
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0110[/img]

[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0111[/img]

here is a test fit with the axle in the hub
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0112[/img]

[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0113[/img]

here is the hub sitting on top of the bulk gear, it doesn't go down in all the way cause i need to drive the pins in alittle further.

[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0114[/img]

[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0115[/img],

well sometime were going to shave some metal off the hub cause it doesn't fit all the way down in the housing, but i don't want too much space or my axles will move left to right too much.

Im also working on the process on getting the opposed twin.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 7:00 am

looks really good. shiny new parts are always awesome!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 1:52 pm

Im not seeing how itll hold the axle in? Youre using a one piece axle right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 2:13 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Im not seeing how itll hold the axle in? Youre using a one piece axle right?

Haha, now that you said something about it, i don't see a way it can be held in either. geek
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 6:52 pm

no its a 3 piece but im welding the axles directly to the hub, with a really good welder too, thats how its going to stay in. cause the housing will keep the hub centered so it can't go any where, don't worry when i get her done ill show you how it will go in and stay.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Got New Engine   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 8:50 pm

Well this is my 19.5hp twin i bought for 100 bucks, this is before i did some cleaning to it, but im in the middle of removing the 11hp engine.
this is the engine on its side, im using the pressure washer cart thing to move it around
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0116[/img]

this is close up of the sticker of the engine.
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0117[/img]

and this is the exhaust side of the engine,
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0118[/img]

so what do you guys think? I think its a very good motor, i got a steal on this one, 100 bucks for a 19.5hp twin Industrial/commercial platinum, with turbo cooler.
im glad i acted fast on this one, i has always wanted to get a hold of one of these beast.
Im also glad that im beefing the transmission up to handle more torque.
also a brand new 19.5hp single cylinder is like 400 or so bucks.and a new twin would probably be around 800 and up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 8:54 pm

MAn thats a nice engine, a steal for $100 bucks. afro
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2010, 10:43 pm

oh and i have some slight bad news but can be fixed, the bolt holes on the new motor are way different then the 11hp mounting holes, so im going to drill some new holes. This motor is alot bigger than the 11hp, like i hope my hood can close all the way, i may have to cut some of it but the top of the motor is almost flush with were the hood rest up top.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 4:29 am

Yeah, you might need to add a hood scoop above the engine so it can suck in the air it needs.

Ive never known what exactly is defferent about the 'turbo' cooled twins, just more cooling fins? Its definatly a bargain! cheers
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 7:30 am

Youll like the twin- even stock twins have tons of power - that 18 on the murray was barely using all its power and the tractor was fast.

If its an older chassis- itll need new holes- the newer motors are slightly different - as you found out. I put that 14.5 OHV on my agway yesterday - i was lucky it had rubber isolators and had room to adjust it- it needs a bit of adjustment backward, since the valve cover hits the hood now.... back then it was mostly flat heads used on tractors ( teccy had a few OHV motors).
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 9:50 pm

well an update, i have the pos-hub piece done to fit the trans nice and good, now all i need to do is weld in the axles solid, this setup will be by far more tough and be able to handle alot more abuse.
after that, im going to clean the dirt that fell in the transmissions parts from laying around, just going to blow it out, just a bunch of free dirt, wish i could put some lines on the trans, a pump and a filter, but what the heck, i think it will do fine with just a big thing of thick @@@ gear oil. HOPEFULLY my trans doesn't sit and leak overnite.
Then im going to install a tube on both halfs of the trans so i can see fluid level without the use of a dipstick, im also going to run the fill/breather tube up to the area of my seat to keep water out.
then once i install it back into the rider(FINALLY) IM going to cut and weld up a shifter that will clear the belt, cause the way it is now, it rubs against it.
then im going to figure out a way to mount my pressure washer skid plate, weld parts up and make it removable with pins or bolts.
Put the wheels on, and FINALLY be able to move the thing from its spot for over a few months.
Then tweak the motor a bit, install the wiring harness for it, and drive it around for a while.
then the first or second idea first:
come back and start working on the rear rack for 5gal tank, car sized battery and a hitch.
or put the hood back on and cut it according to fitness.
and thats enough for now
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 3:31 am

Sounds like you've got alot planned. If you can get some oil seals to fit the axles ends and stuff in the tranny. Then eit shouldnt leak once you RTV seal it all the way round.
The tranny is going to be awesome once you'd done all that too it. I wish I'd put the time in first time round and done all that to mine. I just dumped gearoil in and stuck it back together.

Cant wait to see more photos. And cut the hood arounnd that twin. Could look awesome! cheers
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 6:52 am

Motorhead45102 : Make sure you put a vent in the trans - drill n tap the housing ( on top) for a barbed fitting, use some flex hose - about 6" or so and attach it higher in the chassis- if you dont it could either pop seals or blow the trans up from pressure.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2010, 10:24 pm

well good news people, i have the axle welded so now its a one piece deal. Its strong too. My uncle made sure it had good penetration, he turned the welder up to voltage 3 which the highest is 4 and lowest is one. but welds look nice, but did have to buzz the welds just a hair, the welds were hitting the trans case, so now if i break the trans it will deffy be somthing other than the axle. well here is a picture,
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0110[/img]
[img]Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Dscf0111[/img]

so now this week im going to have it all put back together, but i have to clean the trans again, a dumb possum came in my shed and knocked it over on to the ground, oh man was i pissed about that. but luckily i didn't loose any parts Rolling Eyes
but any how, got to get some gear oil now, and find what i did with the rtv sealant. scratch ,
but i also need to get a pulley for the new engine, so i know where one is, its just a matter of getting it and putting it on, i would use the pulley off of my old engine but someone welded it to the shaft Neutral
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2010, 10:41 pm

Chunk wrote:
Yeah, you might need to add a hood scoop above the engine so it can suck in the air it needs.

Ive never known what exactly is defferent about the 'turbo' cooled twins, just more cooling fins? Its definatly a bargain! cheers
Autozone now sells stick on hood scoops for 15 bucks that would fit that need.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2010, 5:52 am

Motorhead45102: Thats cool- it looks strong . Welded the pulley to the motor? Redneck engineering at its finest..... I actually have a twin cylender that aparently from the factory with a steel "plug" holding the pulley on the engine- eventually i resorted to cutting the pulley off with a grinder to get the motor off the chassis ( w/o hurting the crank). Weirdest thing i ever saw. I took a pic of it years back to see if anyones ever herd of it:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/14/87/67/58/21869010.jpg

Same motor i want to put double carbs on- came off the kleen kut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   Craftsman off road tractor - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman off road tractor
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next