All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman off road tractor

Go down 
+11
fetters18
Ford Boi
indianaboy93
MSteele323
CMHN
Yamaharules163
Webmaster
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
arild365
motorhead45102
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2010, 4:52 am

Motorhead45102: Thats cool- it looks strong . Welded the pulley to the motor? Redneck engineering at its finest..... I actually have a twin cylender that aparently from the factory with a steel "plug" holding the pulley on the engine- eventually i resorted to cutting the pulley off with a grinder to get the motor off the chassis ( w/o hurting the crank). Weirdest thing i ever saw. I took a pic of it years back to see if anyones ever herd of it:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/14/87/67/58/21869010.jpg

Same motor i want to put double carbs on- came off the kleen kut.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2010, 8:40 pm

well almost have the tranny together, just slapped some red grease on the axles that ride in the aluminum housing, then im going to a auto store tomarrow, and going to get a thing of gear oil, and some rtv unless i find my missing tube, but before it goes completely together im having the chain for the revers soak in some dish soap to help get that old nasty grease off and then clean it up and put it in. but just like the other trans its hard to turn the input shaft by hand but, got to imagine how many gears and oil im turning around. but once i get the trans put in i can finally move my mower in or out, idk when ill get her going but i need to get the pulley for the motor before i can even drive it. Then i can continue the mod of the mower.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 5:33 am

The tranny will be a little stiff to begin with. Mine was same after I locked my diff. Now it rolls so easily. Better than any stock machine. Cant wait to see it go together!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 11:44 pm

Well this transmission is going together great, it turns really really easy, no binding up or resistance, so this tranny should be great.
ok here is some pics

OK here is an angle view of the tranny, partially lubed up.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08191011[/img]

the gear oil im using, also the thickest i was only able to find at the moment. wanted thicker but ill see how it does.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08191012[/img]

Ok this is the oil fill tube that will have a clear hose run up to the top of the rider were all the controls are just to keep it up out of water and easy filling when i need to. IM also using JB weld to put this piece in.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08311010[/img]

another view of the oil fill
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08311011[/img]

This is the part number on the envelop it came in, yes i know its techumseh but i don't thing briggs makes a tranny would be very nice though
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08311012[/img]

and these are the parts holding me back to finish this thing and finnaly drive it.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 08311013[/img]

well thats it for now, just tomarrow ill be putting the trans back together once the jb is pretty much set, then i get to rob brake parts and shifter bearing from the other trans(good thing about my spicer trans is the 2 screws for the ball bearing shifter is not frozen in the housing like the foote tranny was. But the only thing now holding me back to drive this thing is the engine pulley, i need 1/4 20 bolts for the pulley and a key way, then i get to figure out if i should change the shifter to clear the belt or install a pulley to divert it away. Idk ill know once i get to that part. till then, thanks for taking the time to sit here and look at my long wait of working on this big old project.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 7:42 am

The only thing holding me back is brakes. Got some Brembo brakes to fit on the axle, just need to make a hub for it.

Youre set up looks really well thought out though. Should last a long time. Cant wait to see it back together finally Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 5:47 pm

Instead of a cap on the fill tube, id use a small breather type filter- so it wont build up pressure - you can grenade a trans if it builds up pressure .
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 8:03 pm

well yeah i was going to do somthing like that.
but some more good news update and a bad news for the end of this update.

I got everything all back together, pulley, tranny and drove it today, i was really easy on it just testing it out.
but heres some pics
Ok this is the good old spicer 6 speed completely together(except the brakes have to steal the breaks from the other tranny)

[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011010[/img]

Got it all bolted up the the rider

[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011011[/img]

OK I have one wheel on, things are looking good.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011012[/img]

S
C
R
O
L
L

D
O
W
N

S
L
O
W
L
Y

A
N
D

HOLLY CRAP WHERE DID IT GO? It sat in this spot since may until now. So Glade I got it moved for once. And yes All That crap was under it, I had to move it and clean the place out.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011013[/img]

And boy Does that thing look nice alll together, other than the hood, better than it was laying in pieces
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011014[/img]
The Seat Looks HOrrible, i need to fix that. its also a pain to sit in because there parts of hard broken plastic from the seat jabbing into my back, really annoying.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011015[/img]

REar View, I know everyone Likes pics
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011016[/img]

Ok If you already know(If you don't start from the first page and go all the way down to this page, yeah i know theres too many pages, but its better to see how it started and were it went from there on.)
But I fixed This issue to, remember when i cut too much of my frame? well I welded a piece of angle steel 1/8", on both sides and used my 120v welder, with the flux, not bad, but could be better, but once i get my wire ran for the 220 welder ill have mig wire with cover gas, but my 120v welder does the job just fine for right now.
[img]tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 09011017[/img]

OK i didn't get a pic of this problem but here is the bad news.
Ran the mower for a good while driving around came back home, turned it down to idle like a harley (which its not, lol) and was hearing this air hissing noise, and im like what the heck is that, my vacuume hose leaking for the fuel pump? no, maybe the crankcase vent tube? no, found out that when its runnning theres a piece off the crankcase gasket broken and it was hissing in between the two pieces and was shooting oil out, and i mean shooting it out and im like fck, checked the oil it did drop but not enough to hurt the motor. So I have to take the motor off and replace the crankcase gasket so i don't keep loosing oil. Another bad news is that i broke a bolt on the engine pulley(don't worry its not broke in the shaft) its one of those pulleys that use bolts to snug it up on the crankshaft, well the bolt broke so i would have to drill it out or get a new pulley, because its tight right now but i am going to have to take it off to get the crankcase off and i wouldn't be able to get the pulley to tighten back up. so that just really sucks.
Well thats the update for today, ill post more as i go, i also have a video so illl upload it sometime and you guys could watch it, but tell you now, i did a very poor video, i didn't realize how bad of an angle i had it, but you see some stuff and can hear the motor.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 8:05 pm

Also this tranny kinda wines alittle but was no where near stiff like the old tranny.
Also with the tranny running gear oil it got pretty hot and i wasn't beating on it? is that normal?
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 8:39 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
Also this tranny kinda wines alittle but was no where near stiff like the old tranny.
Also with the tranny running gear oil it got pretty hot and i wasn't beating on it? is that normal?

Shouldn't be a problem, my trannys tend to get quite hot and whine as well. I don't have much trouble with running gear oil. I used to run ATF in some and it also worked well, but I think gear oil is the best way to go. Is your getting too hot to touch? or just warm ?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 9:00 pm

it gets pretty hot, almost can't hold my hand on there for long but i can hold my hand on there but it was pretty hot, though i never felt in the past on other trannys if they ever got hot.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 4:20 am

Im not sure if that is normal. Then again Ive never had mine driving long enough to find out.

Man I forgot how nice this tractor looked! Just needs the hood now and it'll be complete again.
THose welds really arent bad at all either. Sucks about the engine gasket though. But you can't really ignore somehting like that.

As for the seat, I'd just duct tape the hell out of it Laughing
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 6:41 am

yeah the hood im going to have to mod. it because the motor is too big and parts of the hood hits things and won't close far enough at all. Next i really need to make a skid plate for the trans, because i want to protect all that work i just did for the transmission.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 4:43 pm

Id say as long as the trans has oil in it- dont worry- its when it gets hot and has NO oil you need to worry. Could be getting a bit hotter from running the larger rear wheels- make sure the brake isnt dragging either.

Looks pretty sharp.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 8:38 pm

it don't have brakes yet, lol and i was just putting around for maybe a mile if that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 10:54 pm

Man..........., that is awesome!
I love craftsmans when there fixed up! afro
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 11:13 pm

hey guys, long time no see, ha. well ive been gone off of here for quite a while now it seems, my mower still sits not 100% done, but thats what happens when it gets freaking ice cold outside and no heat in the shed, it makes me not want to screw with it. also ive been busy with work and school(collage) which work and school is probably the main time consumer, i just need to order the crankcase gasket and the motor will be fixed, find a spot for the gas tank, and add some pulleys or belt guides to keep it from falling off when i want to drive it.
and i still need to mod the hood, not a whole lot to do, but so little time working, but once i switch back to school(since im doing co-op) i may have more time again and it would start to get warmer outside hopefully. i really wish i was able to tie the project up so i can use my beast to plow all the snow we had. well ill talke some more later, ill see if i can't do a cold start maybe, but i need to find my usb cord for the camera(my cell Phone) because its missing and im not wanting to pay 15 usd (dollars) for a damn cable, well ttyl.
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2011, 8:54 am

wat did u use to clean that tranny ???????
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2011, 10:13 pm

i used a brush and gasoline, i was cheap and yet that stuff worked great on breaking down that grease.
and long story short everyone, still don't have the craftsman done, been working and going to school still
the things need done is
engine gasket
body work on hood to fit
belt guides
and the shifter fearless made up(which is awesome)
and gas tank location and
it will be done
very little tasks
very little time Sad
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 2:26 pm

HI guys how is everything going? Its been a very long time since ive been on here, and I recently done some things to my craftsman mower finnally. I will have pictures up soon.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 3:17 pm

Ok I got some more pictures here, and some updated description of things. first off
I finnaly got my twin resealed, no more leaks.
I also finnaly got the transaxle shifter system hooked up(fearless idea on a youtube video of his) Also the shifter works great, and is awesome, it allowed me to clear the drive belt with out having any problems.
But there is one problem on the twin, snapped a head bolt, and i can't drill it out because an easy out broke of in the bolt as well. So Im going to run it like that and if it causes any problems, im going to call up this guy who can weld on broken bolts and extracts them easily, but i need money to pay him to do that. so im just going to see what happens.
There is still somethings i need to do on the craftsman but im starting to get back into the game. ok nuff chatting heres some pictures that everyone enjoys to see.

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P0805110

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P0805111

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P0805112

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P0805113

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005110

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005111

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005112

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005113

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005114

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005115

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 P1005116
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 4:10 pm

That took a while! Looks like the same style shifter we are using on the craftsmans. Little bit different here and there, but same thing. One of them I reused the original shifter, and used the button for a neutral lock. I think I must have seen the same video, it's where I got the idea. Would have done it to the other 2, but missing that piece.

It that is just a flathead? I bet you will be fine missing one bolt. Seems like they have plenty of head bolts.

Where in Ohio are you?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 9:49 pm

im amelia, oh, which is 178 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2012, 5:28 pm

Heck, we almost neighbors! LOL....

Actually, your not too far from our annual MV and Mower outing at haspin acres. Should be just over a hour from you. Which is a lot closer than we are!

http://atltf.forumotion.com/t1125-hapsin-acres-laruel-in-june-14-17th
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2017, 12:48 pm

Whats up everyone, its been a very long time since I ever logged on here, and its cool to see it all still going. I still haven't done anything with the mower from my last post, I might start messing with it again idk, its kinda hard to work on it since ive moved and don't have any room where I live at for the thing. However I have been messing with my go kart lately. but thought I would check in and possibly try to get things going again, with it all nice and warm out, its much nicer to mess with my stuff.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2017, 5:30 pm

Holy Thread revival Batman! Welcome Back!

tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Sig214tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Sig314
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2017, 4:12 pm

I haven't looked, busy at work right now but is there a section on this forum for go karts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman off road tractor   tractor - Craftsman off road tractor - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman off road tractor
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next