All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - TBA.
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!

Share | 

Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 12

PostSubject: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi,

About 3 months ago, I went to a local lawnmower center and bought a 3.75hp Briggs flat head for 15 quid. My plan for it was to attach it to an old lawnmower deck I have and mow the lawn. However, The blade adaptor that came with the engine is too tall for the deck so the blade sticks out too far. How could I attach the blade without using the blade adaptor?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 pm

get different adapter or raise the engine on spacers.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:49 pm

@1997 Murray wrote:
raise the engine on spacers.
Would the engine not vibrate alot?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:11 pm

not any more than it does now. Just put 1" (26 cm) spacers under the mounts with 3/8" hole drilled through the center, get longer bolts, and bolt it down. It should not have a problem with vibration at all.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

@1997 Murray wrote:
not any more than it does now. Just put 1" (26 cm) spacers under the mounts with 3/8" hole drilled through the center, get longer bolts, and bolt it down. It should not have a problem with vibration at all.
Okay I`ll do that. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm

I don't think you can run without an adapter. If there was a way the corporate bean counters in charge of budget would have done it already, they will remove anything they can to save a dime.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Right so I have a little bit of time now to work on the mower. How would I go about making spacers?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 pm

I personally, was never keen on engine spacers. Increases the shear loading on the bolts (by a large margin), and can result in failure. Other failures can include breaking the mounting flange on the engine. I'm not saying it WILL, I'm saying it CAN.

Is anything stopping you from shortening the adaptor???

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Doc has a good point. Very valid. On my speed mower i raised the engine with 1x1" boxed pieces with a hole drilled and welded to the engine plate. IMO, acts just the same as a engine plate and mounts should not snap off or anything. Id do it this way, def not stacking washers or that ghetto stuff.

ATLTF.com Facebook admin - Forum Mod
ban doug fackler for forever
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:40 pm

@Doc Sprocket wrote:
I personally, was never keen on engine spacers. Increases the shear loading on the bolts (by a large margin), and can result in failure. Other failures can include breaking the mounting flange on the engine. I'm not saying it WILL, I'm saying it CAN.  

Is anything stopping you from shortening the adaptor???
Right okay thanks for the info Doc!

I`ve tried doing that but it doesn`t really work. I`ve tried researching to see if I could buy one and there doesn`t seem to be any different ones.
@redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Doc has a good point. Very valid. On my speed mower i raised the engine with 1x1" boxed pieces with a hole drilled and welded to the engine plate. IMO, acts just the same as a engine plate and mounts should not snap off or anything. Id do it this way, def not stacking washers or that ghetto stuff.

Yes but the only problem with that is that the mower deck is Cast Aluminum and you can`t weld anything to it.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:59 am

Would it be possible to cut the crank shaft to shorten it?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 pm

You can. Keep an eye on the thread depth, though.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
the old guy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:40 pm

I second what Doc said that size engine often have two woodruff key slots for different decks years ago I had a guy to cut one for me worked just fine.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:06 pm

So, a waaay long time ago I cut a wee bit off the shaft to shorten it but I then found my blade was really blunt and didn't match up with the adapter. So now I left it in a heap until today I dug it out and found that the exhaust had leaked oil out all over the mower and the floor.
Anywhoo, I checked the oul ebay and found a blade that fits my mower (18") and my blade adapter (Have checked this with the seller)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330790180681?euid=580c3a66b34c4140a05ec942c9b00284&cp=1&exe=12742&ext=32470&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??   

Back to top Go down

Attaching a lawnmower blade to a crankshaft without using a blade adaptor??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1