All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is Almost Over!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
TheBeal
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:01 am

@prancstaman wrote:
Pretty cool setup. The blue nob on the torch handle, does that turn the gas on? I'm assuming the the gas line comes off the torch handle and goes straight to the regulator? The positive lead from torch handle to the welder positive?

Yup, blue nob is gas. There is a plastic case where the cable, and gas hose seperate, I assume there is just a tab under there the cable it attached to.

It would be real simple to build one of these rigs. Before I got this welder, I was looking into putting together a rig like this here.

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 pm

@mr.modified wrote:
Lookin good with the sheet metal

Thanks. I got to watch what I put on now. I think I'm close to my weight limit of 600 lbs. The rest of the covers and hood will be very thin sheet metal, plastic, or fiberglass.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 pm

@TheBeal wrote:
@prancstaman wrote:
Pretty cool setup. The blue nob on the torch handle, does that turn the gas on? I'm assuming the the gas line comes off the torch handle and goes straight to the regulator? The positive lead from torch handle to the welder positive?

Yup, blue nob is gas. There is a plastic case where the cable, and gas hose seperate, I assume there is just a tab under there the cable it attached to.

It would be real simple to build one of these rigs. Before I got this welder, I was looking into putting together a rig like this here.

Cool, simpler then I thought it would be. Thanks for the help. I'll be keeping my eyes open for that setup. I just want it for sheet metal work so I can make an airtight weld for making gas tanks, intakes, and exhaust systems.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:20 pm

You know I got to wondering about making tracks from C channel. It would be a rather time consuming process, but I think it would be pretty slick.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:23 pm

@TheBeal wrote:
You know I got to wondering about making tracks from C channel. It would be a rather time consuming process, but I think it would be pretty slick.

That would actually be easier, quicker, and cheaper to do it with C-channel but the draw back or downside would be the weight. The track would be around 3 times heavier then the way I did mine per track pad and whole track. If you could build for the additional weight and not to expect to go fast then that would be the way to go. It took me 11 months, off and on, to do mine with I think 9-10lb spools of mig wire, 900 pieces of hardware, 2 spools of chain, and the actual steel. You don't want to know the cost just for the tracks. I measured the weight and came out to be I think 94 lbs for 16 feet of all steel track and I used less then that per side on this project, I used 3/4 of what I made. I was pretty impressed with the numbers I came up with of the end result of the tracks. I think I passed my goals with the outcome. Now if I could just get the dam thing to turn, LOL.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 am

I would have been too lazy to make each track link from several pieces like you did, so I'll give you some points for that. Seemed to work decent enough when you tested it though, except for the suspension being a bit soft. I mean the tracks stayed in place pretty good.

***Simplicity Racing Research & Development*** #64
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks , Smile I think I got the guide part right. I figured the guides should be around 1/3 height of the road wheels. The road wheels are 7 inches high and the guides are 2 inches high. Plus or minus an inch doesn't hurt I guess. Smile.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 am

I have 2 long pieces of C channel, I might just look into building something one of these days. Though I may experiment and cut the tread off some tires and see if I can make something work.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Oh yah, I see that alot on the snow cats. To do that you would make the track sprockets first. That would set the spacing for the tracks which is the spacing in between the track pads. Then make the tracks from that.

I did it the opposite way. I made the tracks first and had to figure out how to make the sprockets. This way is the harder way because I just couldn't make a sprocket from a rim or something round that was premade. I actually had to figure out how to make a gear to get my tracks to work.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: hey buddy   Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 am

been watching this build on the tube. Overcoming belt slippage (due to the friction from the tracks, and just plain weight) is gonna give you fits. Great project as a whole brother, and VERY inspiring to watch

Tech Manual mod, If ya need it, and cant find it... Just ask.... Pm if I'm not on line
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 200

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am

WOW, Shocked

How have I missed this build so long? That is so cool. Thanks to Lawren for reminding me about the "youtube" links. Watched a couple videos. At the end you mentioned success and fail. I don't see it as fail. Progress is always success, and things that don't go right are lessons learned!

Great job!

Forum Administrator ~ Chat Moderator ~ Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page
How To Upload Pictures
ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Lawren Wimberly
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: fail   Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 am

@mightyraze wrote:
WOW, Shocked

At the end you mentioned success and fail.  I don't see it as fail.  Progress is always success, and things that don't go right are lessons learned!

Great job!

I actually prefer to watch the fails.... you learn more from them

Tech Manual mod, If ya need it, and cant find it... Just ask.... Pm if I'm not on line
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm

I agree 100%, it's only a fail if you don't learn.

ATLTF Facebook Page
How To Upload Pictures
ATLTF Staff:
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 pm

@Lawren Wimberly wrote:
been watching this build on the tube. Overcoming belt slippage (due to the friction from the tracks, and just plain weight) is gonna give you fits. Great project as a whole brother, and VERY inspiring to watch

Thanks Lawren. Yah, it is just a minor set back for the belts slipping. That's how I look at it. Designing the track system is definitely a new area for me. All the other parts of the build I been doing for as long as I can remember. Glad you like the videos. I think I'm getting better at them. As for this project, look forward to many upgrades to it. Plus I am already planning my next tracked project with a little different driveline in it, even though it will be a couple years from now.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 pm

@mightyraze wrote:
WOW, Shocked

How have I missed this build so long?  That is so cool.  Thanks to Lawren for reminding me about the "youtube" links.  Watched a couple videos.  At the end you mentioned success and fail.  I don't see it as fail.  Progress is always success, and things that don't go right are lessons learned!

Great job!

Thank you. Spring is just around the corner and I am trying to clear my schedule so I can see if my new driveline setup will work. Just needs the controls now. Plus some other mods I want to do before I set it back on the ground. And Yes, Progress is always success and things that don't go right are lessons learned.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Hay People,
Been busy all summer long sorry to say. Don't even know when to expect to get back to this project. Sorry People.........
Anyways,
I had a scary thought about this project a few days ago, so I did some digging. The wrong people are watching this project from afar. IT'S GOOGLE!!! They are taking recon aireol photos of the tank factory (my backyard) with there satellite. Luckily this project was under cover when they took the photo, didn't see a thing. There sniffing around though.

SEE!! The proof is in the puddin.....This photo was taken from a Google satellite spying on my project. It's a recon photo from one of their web sites. I had a feeling I was being watched!!!  The red writing and arrow I put in showing what they missed..

Never fear!! Action is being taken this very minute!!

Preparations have been made to guarantee security and secrecy. The aluminum foil radar and microwave blocking hats have been made and passed out to all personal to be worn from now on (took some doing for the wife to wear  hers). All short range communications have been stopped (wife got pissed about this one) but it got done....
Every knot hole in the fence line has been covered up......

Camouflage has been put up over the entire tank factory

My video surveillance of whole compound is up, running, and recording....

Laser banks are fully charged, tested, lock and loaded......

I'M READY!!!! BRING IT ON GOOGLE!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Best thing I have read all evening! Awesome job!

ATLTF Facebook Page
How To Upload Pictures
ATLTF Staff:
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 56

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Hahahaha, nice going giving your address out.

Nice laser ya got there, set off any fire suppression systems with it yet? lol!
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks, LOL.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Hahahaha, nice going giving your address out.

Nice laser ya got there, set off any fire suppression systems with it yet? lol!

Not a regular laser that you buy from amazon, been hopped up a little. I know a guy, LOL. And no I haven't
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion   

Back to top Go down

Prancstaman's X1 Scorpion
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9