All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Newcomer from AZ. Father son project

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
buickmike

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Empty
PostSubject: Newcomer from AZ. Father son project   project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2015, 3:48 pm

Hi all,

So awhile back my 10 year old son came up with the idea that he would like to find an old beat up riding lawnmower to make into something custom that he could cruise around on. I wrench on cars for fun and he wanted a project of his own. I thought it was a great idea and started looking around CL for awhile for something cheap that I could use for the chassis. I came across one for $50 and we took it home. It is a 2003 MTD Yard Machines 13AP608G129 with an 18HP Briggs & Stratton 31D7770233E1 motor, and a 719-0394 varidrive transaxle. We took it home and checked it out some more. Luckily we were able to get the motor to fire up after swapping out the solenoid and some ring connectors. Then we spend the rest of the day completely tearing it down.

At this point we now need to come up with a plan for this thing. My plan is to keep the motor stock and hopefully do a pulley swap to get it going faster. I'd like a 5spd transaxle, but haven't found any local resources yet. I have a good disc brake lined up and will convert it to direct steer. The rest will be more cosmetic than anything. We either are going to make it look like a hot rod or maybe even go the opposite and make it something for offroad. Honestly though I don't want to put much money in it since it would be better spent on a quad. This is more about the build experience than anything else.

Here are some pics:

My son right after we got it off the truck.

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project 508780DA-738A-463B-AF72-61653FA4580E_zpswbwl4mgl

Starting to work on it.

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project C73288BE-B8D8-4FF9-9E20-B9AEFEE3FF95_zpsyd1za7cs

Good 'ol Ford solenoid to the rescue!

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project 8BCCA25F-B188-44DA-8667-0A2CDE9DCB6A_zpsiiwitotr

My son and a friend working on it.

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project 5B8FE0EC-DD64-4B0A-BCBD-C6C88E997FDC_zpsb34s7mcq

Tear down complete. Time to start cleaning!

project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project 9C46BEDC-CBC3-4865-AD36-4337BC57988A_zpsdyif1mvk
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Newcomer from AZ. Father son project   project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2015, 9:22 am

Welcome to the nuthouse... Wait... Did you say something about "better spent on a quad?!?". Shame on you! LOL

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
buickmike

PostSubject: Re: Newcomer from AZ. Father son project   project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2015, 9:44 am

Thanks! My point about the quad was more of a "if I'm going to dump $1k+ into this thing it would be better spent on a quad". I started to go down the whole build a race mower idea. After adding up the cost of a live axle, brake, sprocket, bearings, mounts, brackets, chains, RAGB, idlers, centrifugal clutch, new wheels and tires, hubs, etc I was really up there in price. At that point I decided that we need to keep this project simple. Get it cleaned up, paint it, make it a little faster, safer, chop some things down to make it more low profile, and have a good experience with the build itself.
Back to top Go down
N1ck
N1ck

PostSubject: Re: Newcomer from AZ. Father son project   project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2015, 11:07 pm

buickmike wrote:
Thanks! My point about the quad was more of a "if I'm going to dump $1k+ into this thing it would be better spent on a quad".  I started to go down the whole build a race mower idea. After adding up the cost of a live axle, brake, sprocket, bearings, mounts, brackets, chains, RAGB, idlers, centrifugal clutch, new wheels and tires, hubs, etc I was really up there in price.  At that point I decided that we need to keep this project simple.  Get it cleaned up, paint it, make it a little faster, safer, chop some things down to make it more low profile, and have a good experience with the build itself.  
most of the builds on this site are cheep and made of junkyard parts. also welcome to the forum:D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newcomer from AZ. Father son project   project - Newcomer from AZ. Father son project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newcomer from AZ. Father son project
Page 1 of 1