All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mudslinger

transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Empty
PostSubject: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2015, 12:16 am

A while back I noticed my foote transaxle started skipping a little while in 6th under a modest load. After going Mudding today the thing barly moves. 4-6 gears are pretty well shot. I havnt taken it apart yet but almost sure its the shifter key . My questions is does anyone know of a good fix for this other than replacing the key. I've had it apart not to long ago when it first started and the key didn't look to wore. Or is it maybe the spring steel part of it that's wore. Your input would be apreciated.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2015, 12:51 am

its not hard to swap the keys as for the skipping Im going to guess your looking at a gear situation not a key. If it is driving ok 1-3 then you may have a messed up gear pack or it could be the input gears chewed up and with the reduced load of 1-3 it is able to keep in gear but if your pack starts bouncing around it could cause it to bump out of gear. If all else maybe try tightening the ball bearings in the shift mechanism to see if they will hold it in gear a bit better. or just tear into it and find out!
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2015, 7:32 am

Before you tear it open, check the woodruf key on the input shaft. It might have broken and can catch itself in low gears but skip in high gears, its happened to me
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2015, 9:19 am

Thanks for the replys. I will check those things out and let yall know what it is. Hope to have it apart this evening.
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2015, 11:05 pm

Well I finally got a chance to take te transaxle apart tonight. All the gears were still tight and not worn. Pulled the shifter keys out. It was slightly worn. Some chips in it. Other than that I don't see anything else wrong. So I'm thinking about taking a welder and putting some spot welds on it and reshaping them. Maybe make them slightly more steep and maybe flat on the top to give it more surface area in the gears. What yall think. Also thinking about bending them slightly more to give them more spring.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2015, 11:12 pm

I would suggest not welding your gears. That will make them brittle. I don't think anyone has done this successfully outside of lockers.
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2015, 11:58 pm

I was wondering that or it might loose some of its springyness since its spring steel. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this or at least make it better? Other than reforming them out of ideas. I can't find any for my transaxle online either
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2015, 7:55 am

Welding on spring steel nearly never works out. It will kill the temper, and they will therefore not function. Best to just order replacements.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2015, 10:35 am

I have ground the edges flat again with success.
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2015, 10:53 am

I will try filing the edges flat again and bending them to get slightly more pressure inside the gears. If that don't work I may try welding on them just for an experiment to see if it will hold up but if it don't I'll either order new ones or find a new transaxle. Is it very common for the shifter linkage to skip in a transaxle?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear   transaxle - Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foote transaxle slipping/ skipping in gear
Page 1 of 1