All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Cheap welding Masks ??

Go down 
+2
TheBeal
the old guy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the old guy

Cheap welding Masks ?? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2015, 9:46 pm

Hey guys are those cheap auto darkening masks you find on Ebay for around 30 bucks any good ? I have a Lincoln125 plus that has been sitting in my storage building for several years. It appears to be in working order needs a complete new gun since someone borrowed the one that came with it. I hooked the machine up turned it on the fan and drive works. It will cost me a little over 100.00 to find out if the thing will weld. I can get a new gun for 65.00 from Weldingcity.com when they are in stock again that's why I need a cheap but safe mask help me out if you can.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2015, 10:31 pm

Keep in mind you get what you pay for.
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price has gone"
I just recently used one, cost about 60-80 solar powered off the welding arc. Depending on how I was welding I got flashed a few times.

I know we cant all afford $500 auto darkening helmets. Yeah, the cheap one may works fine... but I only have 2 eyes, Id rather not take any chances.
I would suggest something "in the middle of the road".

Or maybe even a nice one with a flip up lense. I know they can be a bit inconvenient but I think it is worth having one.
I used one in school that had a lense about 4x6 inches. That was quite nice having such a large field of view.
Back to top Go down
the old guy

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2015, 6:20 am

Yeah sorta what I was thinking my vision is the only thing I got left having lost several fingers and i'am almost deaf all work related. Think I will leave the welding to pros, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2015, 8:01 am

I've used many auto-darkening masks over the years, and I currently have two: A Lincoln, and a cheapie. I've had the cheapie for maybe 7 or 8 years. It has NEVER malfunctioned in any way. The Lincoln works very well too.

Years back, I had an Esab mask that had a problem. If I didn't use it for a few weeks, it would lose it's internal charge and NOT darken for the first few seconds of welding. I learned that in order to not zap my brains, I had to leave it in front of a light bulb for a few minutes prior to use.

Generally speaking, it IS better to pony up the bucks for quality products, and you only get one pair of eyes. But I thought I'd point out that every now and then, you DO get something good for cheap.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2015, 10:24 am

I use the harbor freight one. had for a few years now, no problem with flashing whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Customrust
Customrust

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2015, 4:20 pm

Try pawn shops and that sort of place. The best one I've used so far is the 3m Speedglass which I paid $30 for. If you do go for a cheaper non name brand one make sure the darkness is adjustable and if they sell replacement lens covers that's a plus too.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2015, 10:49 am

the old guy wrote:
Think I will leave the welding to pros, thanks.

Some practice and you could weld like the pros.
Its not terribly difficult to lay down some good welds with some practice.

If not, Id gladly take that welder off your hands.... lol
Back to top Go down
the old guy

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2015, 2:38 pm

Thanks everyone I'll take all this into consideration right now I have three pieces to my steering unit that needs to be welded I plan on taking them to a welding shop. they are really covered up with work, but I known the owner for along time maybe they will do me a favor and weld what I need. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2015, 3:38 pm

I have a "metal man" brand auto dark from tractor supply. It was about $40 on sale. It works great and never flashed me once. I hated my flip up lens mask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap welding Masks ??   Cheap welding Masks ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap welding Masks ??
Page 1 of 1