All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs Opposed choke

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hossman

briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Empty
PostSubject: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2015, 5:28 pm

I was wondering how the choke is supposed to be set up on an opposed twin Briggs. It doesnt have any springs or anything on the choke valve, it just had the throttle cable and choke cable connected to the throttle lever. If i start it and open the choke all the way, it dies, and if i close it so it idles smoothly, and give it more throttle, it sputters until i open it. Not sure if it was designed to have the choke valve and throttle valve move in sync or what. Is there anyway to make a seperate choke? I've seen people with the same engine use a pedal for the throttle, which is what i plan on doing. And all they have is a cable running to the throttle linkage. Im just wondering how they have their choke set up.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2015, 10:17 pm

Its sounds like your carb may be messy and needs to be cleaned. The choke should be a separate cable from the throttle cable. If you need your choke to run you should try cleaning out your carb.

Here is how the throttle and choke hook up to. The throttle may vary if you decide to remove your governor on your motor.
briggs - Briggs Opposed choke <a href=briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Carb10" />
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2015, 11:42 pm

So the choke is supposed to be either closed when starting or open when running? no movement with the throttle? I have no idea how long it had been sitting before i got it, so im sure it could use a cleaning. Never really messed with carbs before. Im sure i can find some youtube videos on it.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 11:28 am

Yea, your carb needs to be cleaned or rebuilt. Mine has only ever used choke when I first start it up, I think it helps draw fuel more than anything because the choke is creating vaccum. If it needs choke idling that's always a sign it needs to be cleaned. Should be 0 choke after inishal startup.

You might be able to take your throttle and choke lever, and just disconnect the throttle cable if that's how it operates, them just hook up a gas petal setup.
Back to top Go down
Customrust
Customrust

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 8:06 pm

Rebuild the fuel pump when you do the carb. Clean out those little vent holes, spiders and mud daubers like to fill them up. Also make sure the fuel pump pulse hose that runs from the block to the pump isn't dry rotted.
Back to top Go down
Hossman

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2015, 8:46 pm

Yeah i was thinking today that im just going to take the carb apart and clean it real good and replace the fuel line and fuel filter as well as rebuild the fuel pump. Last i checked the rebuild kit was about $10 or $12.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs Opposed choke   briggs - Briggs Opposed choke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs Opposed choke
Page 1 of 1