All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Account activations are on HOLD!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

3.5hp Teccy problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: 3.5hp Teccy problem   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

This isn't some cool project, just one of my old push mower engines. So last season the flywheel key got sheared and I replaced it sometime in the winter. After a few pulls it sheared again. I didn't use a torque wrench in the winter for the nut on top and read that I may have had it too loose, resulting in another shear. So this time I got the torque wrench out and set to 150 ft-lb. Well the pic shows the result of that.

Wish I had waited to rebuild the carb till after this happened. So I have a proposed hillbilly fix just to get it running. Bolt the nut onto the remaining threads without the cup or washer. Then drill the cup center hole larger enough to fit over the nut, and drill 3 new holes and bolt the cup to the flywheel itself, in the holes I tapped to pull the flywheel off. It's either that, or bench it till another motor with a good crank shows up. Did I mention that I now hate Tecumseh?

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Ropertractor14
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Been there, done that. LOL Happened at work using the special tecumseh tool to remove the flywheel. Ended up putting another crank in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Ive never used a torque wrench on the flywheels - i use a big breaker bar and crank it down. As a personal preference ( due to years of snowmobiling) i put an ever so slight coating of never seize on the end of the crank/threads- ive herd both sides of ' its okay ' and ' factory says no ' - never had a flywheel come off either.

When flywheels go on its a tapered press fit - make sure the crank end and flywheel are clean before it goes back together, i use the never seize to make it make it slide on a tad further and also easier to pull it off.

Personally, since the crank broke off- id wait n change the cam. I cant stand teccy's either .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3.5hp Teccy problem   

Back to top Go down

3.5hp Teccy problem
Page 1 of 1