All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four

Go down 
+2
mr.modified
1997 Murray
6 posters
AuthorMessage

mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Empty
PostSubject: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 2:00 pm

out of no dis-respect to the builder he's very talented one the best I think but, I was brought into this and pushed to ask about cause others where afraid it would offend the builder or atltf staff so ill ask. The gtr Four zero mini rally does not resemble a mower in no way, it may have a engine from one and transaxle that's it, no hood no fenders no resembles to what a mower actually looks like. I was asking mainly for the members even tho its a bada** build if looks more of like a go cart type deal and build and a few felt like it breaks the rule of #4 for the build off....so there I asked now maybe I be left alone about this haha
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 2:13 pm

Well he does intend to build a body for it. and it has a driveline and tires from a mower.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 2:31 pm

yea but looks more of like a go cart build to me, if it had the fenders and body already built then id say this would be going a different route but its not,
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 2:52 pm

I thought about this myself actually. Seems a slight loop hole in the rules. Rules state: If build with custom frame it must resemble a tractor/mower. If build from tractor frame can look like anything. Ok, so mine needs to look like a tractor since I made my own frame.

But the rules also state that to be complete for the build off, It just needs to run and drive and have everything hooked up. I am working on getting the fenders and everything on, but I can see how my build is barely squeaking by with the rules. It's up to you guys to decide what you think. As far as I can tell I'm adhering to the rules as they are now. And of course I used tractor wheels, seat, engine, and trans, so I tried sticking with mostly mower parts as much as possible. If I had just got it done on time there wouldn't be an issue. Should have pushed it a bit more, but that's how it goes.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 4:08 pm

Aside from the frame, its basically the same as a mini. The heart and all is still all mower parts. If you took a Huffy hood and put it on Average Joe probably wouldn't notice aside from the front suspension.

The rule is to keep people from taking a 90cc quad and putting a mower hood on it. Not to keep people from making a custom frame to fit into the general dimensions of a mower frame.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 4:36 pm

yea what I was thinking I still think is bad a** build I couldn't do it lol
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 5:28 pm

Well thanks for the positive comments. Now that I think about it, I might have been the one mostly pushing to allow making your own frame in the first place. A couple months in the middle of the build off I didn't get much done on the thing. I thought once I had a rolling frame figuring out the hood and stuff would be pretty easy. As it turns out, everything is much smaller than I imagined. I really wanted to have front fenders and a hood all one piece. Now I have a sort of rounded steel belt cover from a walk behind mower that I plan on using for a grill. I'll either use that or just use it for a pattern and make it out of fiberglass. Next years build I'm planning on a more conventional layout starting with an actual factory tractor. This thing was interesting to build, but making so much of it from scratch really used a lot of time. Bottom line is I didn't get the thing finished. The figuring is the worst part. Spend hours looking at something and trying to decide how to do it.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 5:58 pm

MTD2fst4u wrote:
out of no dis-respect to the builder he's very talented one the best I think but, I was brought into this and pushed to ask about cause others where afraid it would offend the builder or atltf staff so ill ask. The gtr Four zero mini rally does not resemble a mower in no way, it may have a engine from one and transaxle that's it, no hood no fenders no resembles to what a mower actually looks like. I was asking mainly for the members even tho its a bada** build if looks more of like a go cart type deal and build and a few felt like it breaks the rule of #4 for the build off....so there I asked now maybe I be left alone about this haha  

As I mentioned in pm, and in no particular order:

*If somebody has an issue with something, they can present it themselves. What is this BS about doing somebody else's bidding? If they are THAT concerned about it, then they are concerned enough to raise the issue themselves.

*Some people have NO clue, just how hard it is to write a set of rules that are conclusive, yet inclusive. Much deliberation was put into them, and in the case of the frame rule, it's written the way it is, to keep people from slapping a mower body on a jetski or snowmobile or jeep, and calling it a mower.

*Bodywork (or lack thereof) is open. That's in the rules, too.

*Rule 4 specifically allows for a ladder-frame.

*The build in question MEETS the criteria. If you do not like it, simply don't vote for it.

We here at ATLTF have qualified this build as a good build that meets all the criteria. Had it not, it would have been removed. Now, on a personal note:

- We've had 2 of these annual build-offs so far. They are a lot of fun, generate interest, and give us neat stuff to watch. However- both times, we have had folks complaining about the rules, complaining about finishers, complaining about who won and who didn't, etc. These things are very disappointing. While it IS true that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, it is also true that it only takes a couple bad apples to spoil the bushel. Whether we do this again next
year, remains to be determined. Negative attitudes affect people negatively.

For the folks that participated, thank you for your participation. For the finishers- awesome job guys! Way to get things done! Those that did not finish, we certainly understand how life can get in the way of things, and you are still to be commended for your efforts. We hope you will still see your way clear to finishing your builds!

-Doc
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 6:18 pm

I say don't like it, font vote for it.

Pretty simple concept isn't it?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 7:22 pm

Now easy there fellas, let's not get too excited heah.... I actually thought the rules said If you made a custom frame, then it had to look like a tractor. Guess I read it wrong because I just re-read them now and doesn't say that at all. Oops.

4)No automobile, truck, SUV etc chassis allowed. No ATV chassis', nor "Compact Tractor".Allowed are- Lawn tractor, yard tractor, garden tractor and mini chassis’, stock or modified. Custom-built chassis are allowed provided the end result will be resemblant of a lawn or garden tractor chassis in appearance. Specifically, ladder, tunnel, or pan-style. No space frames.

Then article 7, which I forgot existed also.
7)Sheetmetal/bodywork is open. As long as all other rules are adhered to, the vehicle may take any vehicular appearance.

The frame should resemble a tractor chassis but the body doesn't have to. I think I knew that initially when I started, then just forgot until you guys brought this up.

I'm not trying to go against what doc said, but as for myself, I don't mind a little back and forth discussion about things. Hashing out the rules is part of the fun I think as long as everyone stays half way calm. lol. I'll print you guys up a 230 page rule book with pictures if your gonna do a 2016 build off. Super painfully detailed.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 8:57 pm

Not for anything, but sometimes things get a bit tiresome. Discussion? SURE! But when you have people that are just... I don't know how to put it- it's like, build-bashing... PM'ing you, your back goes up. I hear stuff like "It doesn't look anything at all like a tractor!"

Did you read the rules? If you read the rules, and aren't clear- sure. Ask. If you read the rules and are convinced there's a violation, yeah- bring it up. But the rules haven't been so much as edited since JANUARY! I even made this long-winded video and explained them in detail.

To be truthful, it also rubs me wrong when folks try to speak for others. If you have a problem, just go ahead and address it. This third-party thing, it's kinda sheisty to me. "I'm asking for a friend", kinda hits me like "I'm pretending I'm asking for a friend, so you don't think I'M being a shmuck". Now, that may NOT be the case, but it comes across like it. Honestly.

So- Whaddya'll say, we move on from this, and support our finalists! cheers
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 9:18 pm

Doc, I understand and agree with what your saying 100%.

........But I'm still not gonna vote for my build because it doesn't have a hood.

Buahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Ok, funs over, back to work guys....
Back to top Go down
KyleDeere79
KyleDeere79

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 9:59 pm

Mr. Modified:

Amazing build, man.  You put a lot of effort into that.

I just got done watching the vid...she looks really snappy and responsive.  I'll bet you have a hard time putting it away.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 10:32 pm

Thanks. Over all it works about how I wanted it to. The peerless 700 is sort of a close ratio setup. I think it would work better if the gears were spread out a bit more. Not much maybe, just a little. With the steering a bit on the quick side you've gotta keep both hands on the wheel at speed. Then to shift you take one hand off and tend to move the wheel a little, sending you all over the place. But by the time you get your hand back on the steering wheel again it's time for the next gear. One thing that worked out pretty good the first time is the clutch. I hate messing around with a bunch of different setups and you can't get something to work right. This build was more or less put it together and it ran out of the box.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 11:01 pm

I got banned from somewhere? News to me. I'm not ticked off at anybody and never was. No problem as far as I can see. I don't think this is going to end well, but someone should fill me in sometime about the autistic kid deal. I was never picking on anyone that I know of.

Edit: You know what....never mind I think, I'm confused. Build off rules were a lot simpler to understand. lol.

Last edited by mr.modified on December 4th 2015, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 11:37 pm

[
WTF MTD2fst4u? doc is one of the nicest guys on here. Are you bashing doc or do I not understand what you are saying? At any rate, I think we need to stop bickering over little details like this. Sorry I'm contributing to it.

Last edited by 1997 Murray on December 5th 2015, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2015, 11:42 pm

Well at any rate, my final thought. I've got no issues with anyone. If anyone ever has an issue with me in the future about anything, feel free to ask me about it and what not. I like to think I'm half way easy going. I'll gladly attempt to sort out any problems. No need to get all flustered over some used lawn tractors, there's more important things to worry about.

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2015, 10:08 am

Well... since our boy Norm decided to take a swan dive off the deep end and cross several lines that shouldn't have been crossed- well... buh-bye. SMH

Where were we now? Oh, yeah... go vote!
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2015, 11:36 am

My vote is in. Did i vote for Mr Modifieds ride? No only because that isn't my type of a build. there are two of them which I really like. It was hard to choose but in the end I went with the one that I thought was the most practical build that represented what I would personally build.

I don't give any care about this he said she said stuff. Couple of people one of which honestly is no longer on this site act like these guys are getting a million dollars for winning.

There are several in the Bill off that I would like to see out in the woods to see how they do
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2015, 11:37 am

^^^last Ling should read:

In the build off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four   mower - Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick Question about a builders mower the GTR Four
Page 1 of 1