All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Empty
PostSubject: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2015, 10:53 pm

Tractor in question is a 1966 sears 600, not sure of transaxle. So, two nights ago we got about 8 inches of snow so I decided, "what a great time for a snow romp!" I drove around in in our large driveway for only about 20 minutes or so. Backed up the sidewalk leading to the house and it started bouncing for traction like a pulling truck at the end of it's pull. I immediately kicked the clutch in, idled it down and put it in first gear, drove 30ft turned around came back and stopped. Went into the garage to get something, got back on the tractor, put it in first, NOTHING, second, nothing, third, nothing, reverse, nothing. It wouldnt move.I got off and checked to make sure the belt was on and it was, the tranny pulley was spinning. I jacked up the back end and put it in gear, then the tires moved but i could hold the tires still. Any ideas on what happened? Will I be rebuilding a tranny or is there something I missed? Engine has 3 inch pulley & tranny has 7 inch pulley.

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151212

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151213
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2015, 11:14 pm

looks like your pulley is replaced on the transaxle? pull it off and check if the key way is broken
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2015, 11:17 pm

Yes, I've been thinking about doing that. I couldnt see much without taking off the pulley, taking off the pulley requires dropping the back end out which takes quite a while to do. That 7" pulley is just on there for the winter as I am building a plow and wanted low speed. Then I'll put the 3" back on.
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2015, 11:18 pm

I pulled the set screw to see if it had snapped off and was surprised to see that it hadnt, so I'll have to take the pulley off to check it out better
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2015, 11:21 pm

with half of the keyway being in the pulley "keyway" if it was to be broken half of the key would be in the pulley half and would be spinning on the input shaft, fromt the way you describe it, thats what seems to be the first place i would check. good luck hopefully its only that
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 7:22 am

Agree^^^^^
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 4:24 pm

Here are some pictures after dropping the tranny and taking off the pulley

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151216

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151217

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151218

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151219

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! 20151220
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 4:40 pm

Yep the pulley has definitely been spinning on the shaft did you not put a woodruff key in it?
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 4:50 pm

Ok, and no, i didnt know what applications you use those for as well as the last pulley did not have one either
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 8:21 pm

If you put a round peg in a round hole it will spin.

Needs that key to keep it from spinning.
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 8:24 pm

If last.pulley didn't have it the set screw mud have been in the keyway and you just got lucky.

Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2015, 9:00 pm

after getting a woodruff key this makes so much more sense, i just have to file it down so i can get the pulley over it
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2015, 9:20 pm

This would be the perfect time to do a pulley swap, but you'll probably have to get another belt though.
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2015, 9:29 pm

prancstaman wrote:
This would be the perfect time to do a pulley swap, but you'll probably have to get another belt though.

This 7" pulley is a pulley swap that I did a month or two ago, just to slow it down to plow snow (of which I have yet to do). The 3" pulley I took off was some sort of homemade one so I bought a new 3" to put on in the spring.
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2016, 7:19 pm

Fixed it and it works great! Thanks for the help!

Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2016, 7:11 pm

Throw the 3 inch away. Keep.the 7 inch, put a bigger pulley on the engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!   Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help figuring out if I blew my tansaxle!
Page 1 of 1