All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - TBA.
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!

Share | 

Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 am

New pulleys welded to hubs and primed.

Look at that super ground clearance!

Hood off to get to the jackshaft easier. First time the hood has been off since I bolted it on for haspin 2016.

Haspin dust from 2016 still on top of the engine.

Top of hood will get repainted. Hood rack removed for welding in more supports and shovel bracket.

Old jackshaft finally removed.

Had a clearance issue with the new pulleys. Old jackshaft in the vice to hold one of the new pulleys while I trim the hub down.

Cut most of the way around.

Cut finished, about 1/4" removed from the hub.

Pulley now lines up where it belongs and clears the side cover.

Testing out the anti mess oil drain for the first time.

Works perfect, no oil on the frame or anything else.

The oil had some aluminum sparkles and also some aluminum flecks in it. Engine still sounds good, so not sure where that came from. Looking for a spare engine to build anyway to have on hand for trips. Started the engine today and it still runs good after sitting for awhile. More updates soon.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 13

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 am

Looks good! If the little Briggs gives out you can always find one of the big block 16hp singles!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 42

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 am

Looking good mr. mod! It looks like the jackshaft fits in there pretty snug.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 17

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks guys. The 10-11hp briggs flathead will fit the mounting bolts the same and I think the crank output is the same 1" size too. But the engine is a bit bigger and I don't know it it would clear the hood. The engine that's in it now has had a lot of use before I got it. Came off a walk behind mower, same guy owned it since new. Doesn't smoke much or anything though, so we'll see.

It could use more horsepower for sure, the alternator takes a lot to turn if the battery gets low for one thing. This won't stop you from getting home though since I can turn the alternator off and the engine will run without the battery. In some situations, such as when trying to get up a rock ledge or a log, you have dump the clutch to try to ram over it. With the jackshaft acting like a heavy flywheel, it's slow to get everything turning. That sort of limits you sometimes. Not sure a larger engine would help too much, maybe a little. The flywheel effect helps to keep the momentum up for going up hills and things with the smaller engine so it's a trade off. Over all I'm happy with it, gets the job done and I can always find engine parts easily. Also, bringing an entire spare engine somewhere is not as much of a big deal as it would be with an opposed or a v twin. The 8hp is smaller and easier to move around. I think easier to work on too. And anyway, my main goal was to cut back on fuel consumption when I first started building it.

I still need to take it on a long test run. I want to try to get from my house to the garage I work at via an abandoned rail road line. I've been through there a lot of times with a motorcycle so I know the route pretty good. The trip would be about 20 miles. The main issue is getting from my house to the start of the tracks, there's maybe a mile or two separation there that would be tough. Maybe I could just get dropped off at the tracks and be on my own from there.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 pm

that sounds like a fun adventure
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Thats took some dedication to trim that hub... Looks like a miserable process. Im glad I have acess to lathes.
Back to top Go down
mightyraze
Developer
Developer

Forum Rep : 42

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 am

WOW, that sounds fun! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    

Back to top Go down

Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12