All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is almost HALF WAY!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Carl
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 am

Nice machine work on the head. i’ve seen a lot of people either running heavier weight oil or diesel engine oil in their small engines. Why did you decide to go with a heavier oil?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 50

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 13, 2018 3:39 am

Most likely to take up the clearances in this older engine. I think it’s getting close to retirement from what I understand. Maybe at the end of the summer?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 41

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 13, 2018 4:42 am

Thanks and yeah, just went with a bit heavier stuff this time because I'll be at haspin running for hours in the heat. Figured go a tad thicker than usual. It doesn't seem to use much oil or smoke, but it has a lot of hours on it from when it was on the walk behind mower it used to power.

My eventual plan for after haspin is to build an I/C engine and use a pumper carb like a tillotson. Something that won't dump gas out the vent every time there's a little vibration. When I changed the oil after haspin last time and also recently this time, I noticed aluminum filings in the oil. Not heavy flakes or anything, just very fine aluminum mixed in. This time is wasn't that heavy, but it had less run time between changes this time. I think some is normal but I'd rather not see much at all. I think most of it probably comes from the cylinder wall. It's also possible that my previous airbox issues let some haspin dust through in 2016 which may have accelerated cylinder wear a bit.

From what I can see above the piston today with the head off, it's fairly well worn but no serious gouges. The original cross hatching is barely visible in places. The spark plug was pretty decent, no serious carbon build up from burning a lot of oil. So I don't think anything is going to change really quick with that. The extra compression from the new head may be a little harder on things, but we'll see.

***Simplicity Racing Research & Development*** #64
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 35

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Nice milling work on the head. That should improve the performance of the Briggs.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon May 14, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks. Hopefully gain at least a little bit. Either way, it's just cool to try it.
An 8hp head is almost the biggest one I can fit in my mill. Just because there's not much more travel to the table.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 am

Greased all the joints and oiled up everything. Did a short test run to try things out and the jackshaft brake works perfect. It will go right into gear if you hit it before shifting. Only issue is the band broke where I had it bolted together. But I have a wider piece to use so all I need to do it cut another band to the right size and it should hold together this time. The brakes work 100% better with the flat side of the belt on the hub too. Everything seems to be good to go.

Have it back at home now and I might take it to a swap meet to ride around on saturday just to test things a bit further before haspin.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 50

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue May 15, 2018 2:10 am

Hey how do those band/belt brakes work when wet? Dunno if this was asked awhile ago but I’m kinda curious
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 179

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 am

Very nice!  Can't wait to see the video at haspin tearing it up!

(Kal-El) 1982 Murray GT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-39002 . . . [2018 Entry]
Progress:  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           0              |              50             |             100

Murray CCT (KAL prebuild)
Sasquatch II . [2017 Finalist]
Li'l Red Murray

Arrow How To Upload Pictures
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Previously I didn't notice much performance issues with the brakes when wet. Maybe a different story with the flat side down but who knows. I was happy with the extra stopping power, they work way better this way. As good as any brakes I would say. We'll have to see how they go on hills.

And thanks mightyraze, I'll be trying to get as much footage as I can!

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Good to hear that your shifting woes are over Wink Should be good fun at Haspin.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 am

Yeah I think it should work really good, especially once I get used to it. I should have done that a long time ago, just never got to it. Now all the temporary stuff I had rigged up for haspin 2016 is finally fixed up. Only things I would still like to add is a back up light and maybe a 12 volt outlet in the dash. And it needs a small tool box somewhere. Maybe under the seat opposite of the battery, there's some space there.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 117

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 am

Sweet deal! Definitely looking forward to seeing some pictures and videos of the Haspin riding.

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 17

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu May 17, 2018 1:31 am

Same, can't wait!
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
Buck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am

a M60 ammo can would work well on the otherside of your seat
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sat May 19, 2018 4:50 am

Thanks guys and yeah an ammo box would be great on the other side. Only issue is I think they are a bit too tall to fit under the seat. And probably even if it fit, the lid swinging open wouldn't clear too well either. I may eventually have to make my own box if I can't find anything else. But one way or the other, I really do need a permanent spot for a tool kit, even if it's just basic stuff.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 am

Looking good as always. What engine is it?
Back to top Go down
Buck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sat May 19, 2018 1:08 pm

I'll try to find a picture, on my old utility trailer i had a 25mm can on it to hold straps and stuff. It was to tall so I cut it down and welded the bottom back on and it had 2 latchs, i converted it to hold downs so I didn't need 5" on each side to open the lid
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks. Muckmudd, the engine is a 7hp briggs and stratton originally. I call it an 8hp because that's what all the newer ones are.

Buck mault, sure if you can find a pic that would be good. Sounds like a good idea to convert the lid.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Master
Master

Forum Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 am

Yeah it looked a little small to me but If it works it works. Just wasn't too sure if it kinda sunk into the frame.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 am

It is a bit under powered yeah. But it gets the job done. Steep hills require crawling up in 1st gear low range. If I ever decide to build a Simplicity Adventure II, I'll go with a bigger engine.

Here's a video review of all the latest mods.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 6:42 am

Picked up this old sears suburban for more parts. It has the correct spindles and all that stuff for the simplicity.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 11:16 am

Nice, it's always good to have spare parts Wink Could put that Teccy on the Simplicity to give her more oompphh if the mounting holes were the same.
Back to top Go down
biggasmowers
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 53

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm

please send me the tranny!!!!!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Those engines are heavy though mattD, cast iron block. I think a lot bigger too. Actually, the guy who gave it to me wants the engine and wheels back. I always get stuff from him, he's got all kinds of mower stuff. He had a few suburbans but now he's clearing out some of his older stuff.

And bigasmowers, I need the trans!
Actually I was thinking I could build a second simplicity if I ever found another one to get parts from. Who knows though.

Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

One of our big mods last year was back up lights on all the tractors, gets mighty dark in them woods!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 117

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm

@mr.modified wrote:
Actually I was thinking I could build a second simplicity if I ever found another one to get parts from. Who knows though.

Yeah that would definitely be cool to see!

- Toro Rat Rod Tractor Build
        - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
        - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road/Workhorse Build
        -John Deere 110 Basic Project
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    

Back to top Go down

Mr.Modified's Simplicity Adventure Edition [2016 Build-Off Finalist]
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next