All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Maine Mud Mower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:44 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.Mudmower.com
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 14

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:49 am

Looking good! Universal Joint is very beefy! Is it 3/4" keyed on both sides and you've just welded the splined bore of a pulley onto the other end?
Back to top Go down
Maine Mud Mower
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 3

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:27 am

Back to top Go down
mightyraze

Forum Rep : 77

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Man I need that choke setup on all my oppys! I'd never have a hang up again. Shocked

.Forum Moderator -+- Chat Moderator -+- Facebook Page Editor
ATLTF Facebook Page -+- Chatbox -+- How To Upload Pictures

Arrow 2017 Build-off Sasquatch II - I was 100% done but, then I decided to tweak some more.
Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Funny seeing that big ol universal and the teeny tiny little shaft in between lol.

_X_ MEMBER LOCATION THREAD ** FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Craftsman Rally Tractor "RV1"  ---- Agway GT Rebuild ---- 2016 Build-Off Entry "1238 GT"
Back to top Go down
Maine Mud Mower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 am

Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:35 am

Finally some action video! lol

Craftsman Rally Tractor "RV1"  ---- Agway GT Rebuild ---- 2016 Build-Off Entry "1238 GT"
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

Forum Rep : 77

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah, I can't wait to see this thing on it's feet!

.Forum Moderator -+- Chat Moderator -+- Facebook Page Editor
ATLTF Facebook Page -+- Chatbox -+- How To Upload Pictures

Arrow 2017 Build-off Sasquatch II - I was 100% done but, then I decided to tweak some more.
Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 64

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Man, this thing's gonna be wicked!
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Looking good! Stock front axle setup, right?
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm

It'd be cool to find an all wheel steer MTD trans to make it four wheel drive, but those are kinda rare I think.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Didn't know those existed. You could maybe use the knuckles and U Joints from a peerless trans with a bit of modification.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:42 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
It'd be cool to find an all wheel steer MTD trans to make it four wheel drive, but those are kinda rare I think.

Well yea they're rare, but it won't work. they pivot on the wrong axis. since he turned the axle sideways, the previously known steering joints will become infinitely adjustable camber that you can adjust on the fly. Get what I mean? with this setup, he would have to cut and reweld the u joints, or he can make the whole axle turn since it's shaft driven rather then belt. 4 wheel suspension is also possible.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:58 pm

That's true, but you could try unbolting the axle housings, rotating them 90 degrees to achieve the proper axis and fab up linkages. Either way I was just sayin' aha.
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Yeah, but there'd be no point. We all know that FNR trans are not durable...
Back to top Go down
Maine Mud Mower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm

How about you guys let me get it driving in 2wd first then after contest we work on 4wd. And trust me I am working with Doc Sprocket on the FNR week spot we got a Doc locker for that in the works as well. See my son on his gas power wheel it has an FNR

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Well actually the all wheel steer units are fairly built. Sounds cool MMM!
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran
Veteran

Forum Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:15 am

Like where you're going with this project. The f/n/r in front and back with the transaxle for a transfer case with the drive shafts, should be really bullet proof. Those f/n/r transaxles are really tough, I have one in my riding mower that I plow my driveway with and works real good and takes a beating.

Good luck on the build off.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 pm

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
AllisKidD21 wrote:

Well yea they're rare, but it won't work. they pivot on the wrong axis. since he turned the axle sideways, the previously known steering joints will become infinitely adjustable camber that you can adjust on the fly. Get what I mean? with this setup, he would have to cut and reweld the u joints, or he can make the whole axle turn since it's shaft driven rather then belt. 4 wheel suspension is also possible.

If the MTD AWS transaxles are like the Peerless units, the knuckles arent part of the axle itself and rather bolt to the frame so the axle could be stood up and the knuckles in the correct orientation for steering.

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at, it'd probably be possible.
Back to top Go down
Maine Mud Mower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:57 am

Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:13 am

Doug Fackler wrote:
CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
AllisKidD21 wrote:

If the MTD AWS transaxles are like the Peerless units, the knuckles arent part of the axle itself and rather bolt to the frame so the axle could be stood up and the knuckles in the correct orientation for steering.

I stand corrected, thanks Doug!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Rookin good Reel.

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
AllisKidD21 wrote:

Me and RCG talked a bit about it, I guess from what he told me the knuckles are integrated into the case BUT are held on with 4 bolts near the bullgear or something so could still be rotated.

I wonder if the gearing matches up with a regular transaxle?

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 24

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Looks pretty cool to me.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Rookin good Reel.

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:

Me and RCG talked a bit about it, I guess from what he told me the knuckles are integrated into the case BUT are held on with 4 bolts near the bullgear or something so could still be rotated.

Yeah! That's what I was trying to say, I figured the housings could be rotated 90 degrees to achieve proper steering.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
Rookin good Reel.

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:

Yeah! That's what I was trying to say, I figured the housings could be rotated 90 degrees to achieve proper steering.

Yeah I totally missed that. I had just assumed they were cast into the case. But when I assume, i make an ASS out of U or ME hehehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]    

Back to top Go down

Maine Mud Mower's "Not the Norm" [2016 Build-Off Finalist]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next