All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
madmowerz

Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Empty
PostSubject: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 12:42 pm

Hi i have one of those briggs 11hp syncro ballanced engine for my mudder. now considering i do over rev it sometimes while riding, do you think i should take the counter weights off? i always see those engines blown. not even really blown but typically the weights break and bust a hole in the crank case. how would it run with out them? would it be bad for the engine? or do you think the motors that i get blown are blown just from abuse?

btw whats the most reiliable strong engine ideal for a mudder? that yes would get over revved sometimes. i just want somthing that will last. im going out in the woods with a friend with mine and im afraid of it blowing up and bieng stranded.

im also entering a off road race thats 4 miles long! so what engine? if not what do i do to my engine to make it better?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 3:38 pm

Over revving a lawntractor can result in the flywheel exploding - cast flywheels arent designed for over 3800 RPM's - i had some pics once of a cast flywheel that exploded - the guy standing next to it nearly lost his leg, the chassis of the tractor was cut nearly in two and it lodged into a steel beam in a barn nearby.

Id suggest a bigger motor properly race prepped to handle higher RPM's- that includes a billet flywheel - itll cost some money, but its better then a trip to the ER.
Back to top Go down
madmowerz

PostSubject: hi   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 8:38 pm

ive already got a racing flywheel.

its the syncro ballancer i want out. its in the crank case. not the one on the crank but on theshaft
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 10:03 pm

i dont think you cant take that off. im not cetain tho... you could get a v-twin engine. i believe v-twins dont have the weight thingy because the 2 cylnders counteract each other so its already balenced
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
madmowerz

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2011, 11:09 pm

it is removable im just wondering if it will damage the engine from the excess vibrations with out it
Back to top Go down
Oren

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2011, 8:38 am

I removed the counter-weights from a 12.5 HP Briggs for grins and giggles. It vibrated something fierce. I was sure it would cause frame cracking-if I had been able to tolerate the shaking. Not sure about your engine, but I have a sneaking suspition....
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2011, 2:19 pm

Youd most likely need to have the crank/flywheel balanced if you pull the counter weights out - by the time you do all these mods, might make more sense to have a mod engine built .

I got my 80's wizard with the back of the motor folded back when the weights let loose - it was free , so im making a lowered 'go kart' from it.

Ive found the opposed twins make a ton more power then singles ( OHV) - my murray would go well over 30mph ( i never dared to find WOT/6th gear- too unstable) - that was with the governer hooked up. My 14.5OHV single was hardly making it go over 20mph.

Something about OHV motors just seem like they have no power, changing internals might wake em up but stock theyre weak.
Back to top Go down
chopsmith
chopsmith

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2012, 11:50 am

I am building a 10 and an 11 hp briggs rite now. They seem exactly the same but the 10 hp doesn't have the counter weights. I really wanted to try removing the weights from the 11hp myself too, mostly to get rid of the extra 15 lb over the front wheels. The 10 hp had seized the crank in the case, the piston still moved freely. Thought that was strange, never seen that before, you can see the video here https://youtu.be/ieO9St-P-7k All mu motors came to me seized and free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?   Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you remove Engine Counter Weights from a Briggs?
Page 1 of 1