All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Transaxle ideas please Help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Braden.H
Braden.H

Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Empty
PostSubject: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2016, 9:08 pm

OK so I have a wheel horse 211-3 it has a 3 speed tarnaxsle I need to put a 5 or 6 speed i I need ideas of transaxles I could put in it please help
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2016, 9:14 pm

I cant really answer your question, but Ive wondered if maybe the gear ratios in the 3 speed would more "abruptly" compared to a 5 speed. 1st gear in each being about the same, 2nd in the 3 speed would be closer to 3rd in the 5 speed, and then 3rd in the 3, would be close to 5th in the 5.

I dunno... Does that make as much sense as I think it does?  scratch
Back to top Go down
Braden.H
Braden.H

PostSubject: Ideas   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2016, 10:19 pm

So would it not go any more faster you see the thing is I am building a rock crawler so I would like to have a loot of gear selection
Back to top Go down
Braden.H
Braden.H

PostSubject: Ideas   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 7:50 pm

So should I keep the 3 speed or get a 5 or 6 speed
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 9:16 pm

I have a 3 speed and 5 speed Im saving for a future project. I was going to check to see if my theory had any truth to it, but I got side tracked by another project. lol!

Id run the 3 speed. Atleast untill a 5 or 6speed came along.
Back to top Go down
Braden.H
Braden.H

PostSubject: Ideas   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 9:50 pm

I know we're a 5 and 6 speed are but I have a nother question I am building a new exhaust I was looking and it Sims it is popular to have the exhaust pipe go under Neath the foot pedal Gard but I don't really won't do do that because if my Mower dies in a water hole all the water will go into the engine so do you have any ideas bit I won't it to look cool to
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 10:10 pm

Hey if those trans are to be had, get em. Always good to have extras IMHO.

I dont know, Im not really a fan of stacks so id be inclined to rout the exhaust under the foot boards.
As long as the engine is above the water line it shouldnt get water up there.

A thought I had for a previous tractor I had, was to rout the exhaust under the foot board, then up over the rear axle and out the back at an angle... but that never happened... lol!
That would have required some fancy bends to get it to clear everything.
Back to top Go down
Braden.H
Braden.H

PostSubject: Ideas   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2016, 10:17 pm

I am not a big fan of that either do you have pictures of that one build and you have any other ideas to keep it out of the water anything would help thank you
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 9:36 am

Well, I never did what I had planned with that, ended up sending the boring parts to the scrap yard.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 9:26 pm

Hay Braden,

Reading through the posts, I got some advice. For the transaxle, If you plan on using all the gears then go with the most gears for the rock crawling. Most people speed up there riding mowers and find that the 5 or 6 speed trans has too many gears to use all of them for going fast, usually see them using only 3 of the gears mainly. Low gear, medium gear, and high gear, usually by just shoving it in any medium gear just because it's hard to pick a particular gear for the medium range, but usually get use to it and find 3rd for mid range. All transaxles have the high gear the same ratio or close to each other. There not like car gearboxes where there is an overdrive. Riding mowers don't have overdrive gearboxes through the inside gearing. Rock crawling can be challenging and the more gears, the better, just to find the right torque in many different situations but most really strong gearboxes are 3 speeds.

Running the exhaust underneath or a stack is your preference pretty much. If it's underneath, the water will never reach the engine as long as it is running. The exhaust gasses will push the water away from the valves. Plus the pipe coming off the engine and going down will hold the water back also, even if the engine stalls. Example of this is turning a cup upside down and putting it in water.  Hope it helps!!!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Braden.H
Braden.H

PostSubject: Thank you   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 9:54 pm

Thank you so much that was very helpful I look forward to get future advice for you
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2016, 10:41 pm

You're welcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transaxle ideas please Help   Transaxle - Transaxle ideas please Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transaxle ideas please Help
Page 1 of 1