All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - TBA.
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!

Share | 

My main murray

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 pm

This is my murray I've built recently. It's my go to tractor for doing work and having fun, the most reliable one I have, and works well. Some background on it. I traded 2 cheap LED light bars for it off of my jeep. Got it right before some snow we had, first snow day I took it out with my other offroad mower (at the time sold off now) and I slid into mud and knocked the bead off the rear tire.
Then that night my friend and I welded a front bumper on it, put another set of tires on the rear and put some snow chains on.
So that gets us through the snow.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 pm

After that I said to myself, I want some more aggressive tires since turf savers suck offroad. I saw a set of Carlisle ag tires on Craigslist with rims and loaded with weight for pretty cheap so I go grab them.

Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Once I had good tires I decided it was time to lock and pulley swap so that all that tread could go to good use

That's the case on the welding table after getting it stick welded, then the pulley was a pain to get off and had to use 2 different types of pullers tl finally get it off in a few pieces. I swapped pulleys, locked the rear axle and added bearings all in one go. After that it was a whole different completely sketchy tractor.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:00 pm

After locking and pulley swapping I wheeled it hard. Got it stuck a few times, flipped it some, jumped it some, wrecked it into stuff some. Here's some pictures of the places it's been stuck. Also long story but I accidentally jumped it off a 6' cliff into a creek and it got choked out by oil in the carb, but once turned right side up started right up and drove out of the creek only needing a few "minor" repairs.

Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Then I did some tree work with it and ruins the factory rear "hitch" thing yanking on logs with it. So last week I finally got around to welding a new rear bumper, and harbor freight had a good sale on their winches so I got two (not sure what I'll do with the other yet) but one went on this murray.

Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:09 pm

That's where I am at with that Murray, but last week I picked up a new one that I will start a thread on once I get some of it fixed, and I finished up my ke100 tonight.

Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:49 pm

looks good, my first tractor was a murray widebody, but it had the bigger fenders. My first tractor I built for off road was identical, right down to the missing headlight.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:01 am

@1997 Murray wrote:
looks good, my first tractor was a murray widebody, but it had the bigger fenders. My first tractor I built for off road was identical, right down to the missing headlight.
it's been a good little tractor, always starts up, takes a beating and keeps going. I'm not sure why they all seem to be missing lights...
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Does anybody know how to/if I can upgrade the charging system on my Briggs and Stratton 12.5 to better handle the winch. It drains the battery really quick and then it won't start afterward always.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Sun May 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Anyone know if/how I could mount these rims on the front of this mower? I figured I got 4 for free, they have good tread. Why not? If it's just not an economical idea, anyone have a suggestion for some nice front tires for my mower that are on the cheap side. These turf savers suck turning and they have a lot of slow leaks.
Back to top Go down
SatiricalHen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   Tue May 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Well I'm not really sure how it happened but the govorner is broken on the mower, it runs way too fast, and it's easy to stall out if I push the throttle lever down so it won't run ridiculously fast. Any suggestions on where to look or what to do about it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My main murray   

Back to top Go down

My main murray
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1