All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Coil pack/ignition module mount issue

Go down 
+3
ZSmachines
mr.modified
mowerheadder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mowerheadder

Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Empty
PostSubject: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2016, 3:08 pm

All right so I need some help.  got a kohler engine, screwed up the coilpack mounts, (long story) tried to drill em, screwed it up lost a bit in one, so tapping the mounts is not an option.  I do own a welder, so any ideas?  I was going to cut the mounts....weld a bit of square tubing on to the now cut mounts(to compensate for the square tubing height), drill/tap holes int the square tubing and mount the coil.  But I did a test section and couldnt weld the steel to the aluminum steel is 1/16" thick.  And for those of yall who use ignition module, i mean the same thing.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2016, 3:29 pm

You can't weld aluminum to steel. I'm not familiar with kohlers, could you post a pic of what's going on? I'd say just find another engine block would be easiest, unless it's not a common engine.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
ZSmachines

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2016, 11:26 am

Use a product caked Quicksteel to attach steel to aluminum. You can get it at oreilleys. But score up bother surfaces with 50 grit sandpaper first. This stuff is way better than jb weld. I have put together an engine block with it 2 times
Back to top Go down
mowerheadder

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2016, 1:25 pm

Yeah I figured you couldn't. The thing is its a perfect engine and I just screwed up a simple job of replacing the coil. Kohler has a stupid advanced timing thing so I had to replace it. Like I said its a perfect engine. Ill try to get pics oh and thanks for the quiksteel tip Ill give it a try. By the way, what exactly do you mean by " I have put together an engine block with it 2 times"?
Back to top Go down
mowerheadder

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2016, 1:31 pm

Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Captur10

Ok here's a pic, now not of mine but see the circled peg?  And ya'll know how that screw holds the pack on?  Well that hole is stripped, screwed done with.  So somehow I need to mount it to those pegs.  Thanks for your help guys
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2016, 2:26 pm

Any chance of welding something to the end of the broken bit?

If that can be removed, I would JB in a piece of threaded rod.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2016, 11:11 pm

You could cut down both pegs to match each other to get rid of the bad section. now both pegs are lower with fresh metal to work with. If hole is still there just drill and tap deeper without going into cylinder. Now the pegs are fixed but at a lower height, use some allthread to make studs and use tubing as shims (1/4 inch maybe) to bring coil back up to the right height.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2016, 5:57 pm

Are the walls of the post (where the threads are) too thin to do a helicoil?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2016, 6:39 pm

If you have a drill bit broken off in the hole, maybe you could cut some of the aluminum off around the bit, say down 1/8" or something. Just to leave the drill bit stick out of the top a little so you could grab it and back it out. Then you could JB weld in a stud or whatever other glue type stuff you want. I put a stud in a stripped out one in a guys generator once.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2016, 6:17 am

Maybe cut the post from the side and In, with an angle grinder thin blade (better dremel tool), then scrape out the remains then fill with jb weld. Personally I hate jb weld, but with only a single cut line it should do the trick then drill and tap again.
Back to top Go down
mowerheadder

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2016, 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it.  Most of your methods such as cutting the pegs and using allthread I considered.  There is probably enough room for a helicoil but theyr $$$.  So I went with the Quiksteel, that stuff IS SICK!  I honestly like it better than jb weld BUT a note to everyone here, it sets up REALLY fast.  Like after 3 mins of mixing the putty, I had only like a minuet or two and it started getting hard.  Anyways Im gonna give it a shot today, Ill let yall know how she turns out! And now for some humor........

Coil pack/ignition module mount issue 304ce211
Back to top Go down
mowerheadder

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2016, 5:08 pm

Well folks Quikstell HELD for now, but she wont fire over (stupid Kohler command SAM moduel)and I dont really wanna spend another 150+ because most of the time you buy coil packs with the SAM from what ive read. So now she turns, used a sparkplug tester, and of course put the plug to the frame and its got spark. Fiddled with it maybe ten minutes and got only TWO coughs. Not backfires just it caught and died. Guy I got this from said it had electrical issues now I sorta bypassed the SAM like I said I AM getting spark and it almost caught, but not even starting fluid in the intake will do it. New plug btw. SO,looks like two out of five bolts on the head are missing, which tells me MAYBE someone messed with it? The guy it came from was, well not very handy like at all yall know what I mean so it wasnt him. Anyone think the valves need to be tuned up? Its the last thing I can think of compression+starting fluid+spark, so that leaves valves right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coil pack/ignition module mount issue   Coil pack/ignition module mount issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coil pack/ignition module mount issue
Page 1 of 1