All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

The blown up engine picture thread.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

The blown up engine picture thread. Empty
PostSubject: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2016, 11:02 pm

Blew up my first ever engine today, so I figured maybe it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to fragged engines. (Preferably lawn tractor engines of course). Post your destroyed mower engine pics and stories!

I was adjusting the carb on this rototiller which wasn't running quite right. I had just replaced the needle, seat, and float but I didn't take the carb off to clean it because it supposedly ran the previous season. (Working on it for someone else). Was running a little rough at idle and needed the choke half closed to run. I richened the low speed was out and then ran the high speed out some too just messing with it to see if it would clear out. I figured I would probably have to clean the carb out. Decided to set the high speed jet back where it belongs, so I held the throttle wide open and then ran the jet in to lean it out until it picked the rpm up which is what I normally do to get them close. Only takes a couple seconds, then you let off the throttle.

As soon as I got the mixture close and it revved up, there was a 'pling', something flew out of the engine on the other side, and it got a lot quieter.... The only sound was the crank still whirring around until it finally slowed to a stop. At first I thought something came off the flywheel or some piece of tin got caught in it somehow. I looked over and recognized a piece of connecting rod laying on the ground. I finally blew something up! So now I have to get a replacement engine out of my stock pile, but I have some cool broken parts to put somewhere.

This is where the parts ended up just after it happened. The only piece of con rod to make it out of the block lays near the bottom of the picture. All the other small pieces on the ground are chunks of the block. One by the gas can, another by the piece of rod. You can see the oil speckled on the ground.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5203_zpsrgwzymbn

Hole in the block. Rod broke completely off the crank. Piston stayed up in cylinder, held by ring tension.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5204_zps80tlgojq

Just visible is the top half of the rod still attached to the piston.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5205_zpswnxkostj

Everything off the ground outside the engine.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5207_zpsoxxxmi7o

The rest of the rod was laying in the crank case.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5208_zps8u9gb8tl

I think this ding in the rod (being pretty wide and smooth) must be where the crank hit it. I think the bottom of the rod must have broken first, then the crank came around again, whipping it out through the block.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5209_zpsjgrl5zht

Piston is relatively undamaged except for a ding in the skirt where the rod made contact, seen on the left. You could probably clean up the crank and reuse that piston if you wanted. The main issue being the huge hole in the block. Not worth the effort really. Planning on replacing it with a 3.5hp briggs flat head.
The blown up engine picture thread. IMG_5210_zps4lqdssdj
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2016, 8:17 am

What kind of engine was it? Teccy?
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2016, 11:44 am

^^ Its a Tec.

I have 2 blowed up Tecs off of troybuilt tillers.
My guess they arnt too tolerant of not having oil where it should be.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2016, 1:38 pm

Yeah Tecumseh, 4hp. I've mostly messed with briggs stuff, but I did have a tecumseh 3hp engine I ran pretty hard without any issues. Lack of oil wasn't the problem in this case because the bearings were ok. I suspect a bad casting that happened to hold up under normal use until now. Unless the governor wan't right and it's been running too high during use for a long time and it finally got stretched. It didn't take much to blow this one, I think with some more hours it might have failed anyway.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2016, 2:18 pm

Sorry its not a mower, but its my ford 5.0 from my mustang. P/O blew it, ran it out of oil and fried the bearings then the crank snapped.

The blown up engine picture thread. Win_2025

The blown up engine picture thread. Win_2026

The blown up engine picture thread. Win_2027

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2016, 1:05 pm

That's not good. Make much noise?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2016, 3:34 pm

I'm sure it did, but it blew up before I got it. The P/O said "I was just driving down the road and it suddenly the steering wouldn't work and it started slowing down" (Clueless female P/O.) when it stopped it threw the serpentine belt off, and her boyfriend thought that the belt had just broken, didn't notice the crank pulley was at a 15 degree angle off from the rest of the pulleys... After the new belt was installed it still wouldn't crank lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The blown up engine picture thread.   The blown up engine picture thread. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The blown up engine picture thread.
Page 1 of 1