All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lack of belt slippage

Go down 
+2
dangeroustoys56
noledroByrreK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

Lack of belt slippage Empty
PostSubject: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 5:37 pm

So i was working on my racer this earlyer and i came across a big problem. i was testing it for the first time since i got it back on its wheels and i put it in gear(with clutch fully depressed) and it took off. i almost hit a walll and fell off the back:(

so my problem is the clutch wont work. it still wont let go even with the clutch pushed in and i know its getting alot of slack.

[img]Lack of belt slippage Drivel10[/img]
heres how its setup

any suggestions would be apreciated:)

thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 5:48 pm

Try making a racing type clutch setup:
Lack of belt slippage Pic_of10

The idler and clutch pulley are close to each other and swivel on the same bracket.

I used the stock clutch on my murray and it also wanted to take off as soon as it was put in gear - the belt might need to be a tad longer- if its tight no matter if the clutch is in or out, then itll want to engage all the time.
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 7:45 pm

Any belt fingers? You need belt fingers to relax the belt when you push the clutch. They will make the belt slide out of the pulley so it won't want to constantly drive. Two bolts 1/8" away from the belt when it's tensioned would work. When you push the clutch the belt will want to expand but the bolts will contain it which will cause it to expand around the pulley.

Lack of belt slippage Drivel10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 7:49 pm

Ropertractor14 wrote:
Any belt fingers? You need belt fingers to relax the belt when you push the clutch. They will make the belt slide out of the pulley so it won't want to constantly drive. Two bolts 1/8" away from the belt when it's tensioned would work. When you push the clutch the belt will want to expand but the bolts will contain it which will cause it to expand around the pulley.

Lack of belt slippage Drivel10

oh wow i copmpletley forgot about the guides.. thanks roper with the picture and everything. lol

Last edited by noledroByrreK on April 25th 2011, 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 7:49 pm

No problem.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 8:54 pm

so just not havin belt guides will cause that big of a problem?
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2011, 9:02 pm

No guides will definitely cause clutch issues.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2011, 7:31 pm

Alright so still havin problems and i have no clue why. i redid the driveline and added belt guides and still nothin. it wont clutch

heres a pic of how i have it now compared to the pi at the top of the page

[img]Lack of belt slippage New_dr10[/img]
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeMay 17th 2011, 9:33 pm

so after bout 4 hours of working today i think im getting closer to getting it working. i did some tinkering and now im getting more slack in he belt when i press on the clutch. but now its to much. the belt just keeps falling off but i have a idea for that. im going to cut out circles out of hard plastic thats a little bigger than the pulley and then attach them to the bottem of the engine and tranny puiley so when i press in the clucth the belt will just sit on that round circle of plastic. i dont know if that makes sense to yall

its kinda hard to explain but iv seen of some of the racers doin it over at heymow
Back to top Go down
Nico K

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2014, 3:26 pm

My Racing Mower is having the same problem! I am going to try the belt fingers and might need to tweak the belt guide on the clutch, because on the one im using it has a keeper to prevent the belt from slipping off the clutch pulley. Thanks for the ideas!
Back to top Go down
dwcopple

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2014, 5:39 pm

Having the same issue as you guys. Think my belt is one size too small though as I had to turn the pulley to "ride" the belt on. I dunno.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2014, 5:51 pm

Ummm. Please note that the last post in this thread was in the year 2011. He probably figured out his problem since then.

Please Read the dates before posting!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lack of belt slippage   Lack of belt slippage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lack of belt slippage
Page 1 of 1