All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off starts soon! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!

Share | 

Beware of fake virus scam!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Forum Rep : 36

PostSubject: Beware of fake virus scam!   Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:18 pm

If you happen to get a pop up you can't close out that says something like, "your computer has a virus blah blah, call this toll free number immediately." It is a scam. Your computer has nothing wrong with it. I've had it happen a couple times and in my case I just forced a shut down on my computer and restarted. If you call the number, there will be someone posing as a Microsoft tech or something along those lines. It may seem real, but it is an elaborate hoax. They want to get you to give them your credit card number and charge you for "fixing" your computer. In other cases you may be directed to another web page when you try clicking on a button here on the site or posting a reply. Redline had this happen a couple times and I did also. Could be something going on with the site temporarily. For the most part I assume there is minimal, if any risk, just a heads up not to fall for a bs scam. If your not paying attention and never saw it before it can seem pretty convincing.

Here is a link describing some of what goes on. You can also google tech support scam or fake virus scam.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

***Simplicity Racing Team*** #64 Question? Feel free to PM!
Simplicity Adventure Edition
Diesel Submarine Project
Baja Sears Suburban
Modified Briggs Model 5s
ATLTF.COM Race Truck
Back to top Go down
sadeoo7
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 6

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fake virus scam!   Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:58 am

they called me on my phone once... the famous microsoft tech... i made them waste a couple of hours of their time haha
Back to top Go down
http://gdftech.com
sadeoo7
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 6

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fake virus scam!   Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:41 pm

i JUST got a call from another Microsoft tech, i told him a was a computer tech and that all my computers where working flawlessly and he hung up...
Back to top Go down
http://gdftech.com
MightyRaze
Trial Administrator
Trial Administrator

Forum Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fake virus scam!   Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:00 pm

HAHA, sorry to drudge up an old topic but I had to share.

My parents got one of these calls not long ago and my parents were just hanging up. Getting tired of the calls, my dad answered it because they called 5 times earlier that day. Person on the other end (barely spoke English) said they were Microsoft and my parents computer was infected with a virus. My dad led them on for a while acting stupid. Like I don't see any "icons" on his desktop, but he did have some pictures, and where he could find an "Internet Explorer". Dad kept asking why he needed an "Explorer" to get rid of a virus. After a several minutes the guy on the other end was getting really frustrated and finally asked if there was anyone else in the house that could help with the computer so they could connect into it. My dad informed them at that point. "Oh!, I don't have a computer."

They hung up and haven't called again since. lol!

1982 Murray GT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-39002 . . . [2018 Entry]
Progress:   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           0              |              50             |             100

Murray CCT (KAL prebuild)
Sasquatch II . [2017 Finalist]
Li'l Red Murray

Arrow How To Upload Pictures
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beware of fake virus scam!   

Back to top Go down

Beware of fake virus scam!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Forum Announcements & Suggestions :: Suggestions :: Suggestions Archive-
Jump to: