All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:04 pm

That would look good!
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

Forum Rep : 47

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah hopefully it will. I see ya made 1000 posts mighty!! Haha
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:29 pm

I got a bearing made up for my pitman arm shaft today!

I used a Timken brand bevelled roller bearing for my support bearing, so it should ba a fairly heavy duty setup.

I decided to cut out a section and have a removable plate so I can take the bearing assembly apart.

The bearing in place and greased up

This is the removable plate, the bearing race is just welded to a piece of pipe.

The plate all bolted up

And the complete assembly! A washer is welded to the shaft to keep the bearing in place. It works good too, the steering feels way smoother now. Probably cause the steering wheel isnt trying to tourque the box side to side anymore. I'm also in the middle of making my new air intake, so hopefully I'll have that done soon as well!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

Forum Rep : 57

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Great creativity! Looks good. I like the easy access door.

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks mighty! Yeah I figured it would be smart to be able to take it all apart, plus this way I can re-grease the bearing every once in a while.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 21

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Not the cleanest(although what can I say, none of my stuff is) but that's an A in functionality! Make sure to grease that bearing, don't want it self destructing! Lol
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Looking at the images again. How you cut that door, will it lessen the structural integrity of the center tower?

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Got my air intake done!

I love the way it turned out! I still need to do some painting obviously, but that'll be a job for tomorrow haha. It runs great with the new setup which means I dont have to reset my mixture screws, which is nice. With the little brace I dont think the extra leverage be an issue either, hopefully hahaha. Let me know what ya think!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:18 pm

@mightyraze wrote:
Looking at the images again.  How you cut that door, will it lessen the structural integrity of the center tower?

Probably haha, but once the plate is bolted on it's most likely fine. Worst case scenario I have to weld a piece of steel in the front part I guess.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Looks good! I gotta get working on mine when I get it together
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:17 am

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it, hopefully I'll get it painted up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 am

Looks good.  What did the breather come off of? (green part, i can't read the top too well) You think you may want a prefilter?

Li'l Red mud mower

Last edited by mightyraze on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks mighty! It's all homemade haha, the top and bottom part are old cigarette tin lids. I thought about a pre-filter but way up in the hood it should be okay.

Also I got my top cover painted black, looks better now!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Well this thing was running pretty bad today, wouldn't idle at all and higher RPM range wasn't so great either, missfiring more than anything. Turns out I just had to re-adjust the air/fuel mixture, after that it ran great again, maybe a little better that before. It's weird I've never really had to mess with the mixture screws on this carb before, I guess that the price you pay for having a sweet custom air cleaner setup hahaha!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 pm

yeah, i wouldn't think you went far enough to cause too much difference. Thicker filter?

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Could be. Probably the much larger diameter of the hose from the filter to the carb.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Well I found the weak link in my steering today when I tried to go for a romp.

Yup, the pitman arm sleeve. Hit the front wheels up against a tree and I heard a crack. Luckily it wasnt the box or anything, so I wasnt as upset as I thought I was gonna be. I got the box out tonight so I can weld it all back up tomorrow morning.

I'm probably gonna open it up as well just to see what shape it's in. Hopefully I'll get pics of all that tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that wasn't as skookum as it should be. Maybe you could do something out of a lock collar or two? That'd be a lot stronger, plus easier to remove if need be
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah, we just happened to break basically the same part on our tractors today too hahaha. Weird, anyway I probably should have made something a bit heavier to begin with, but I suppose this is a chance to make it better.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Yeah lol. Yours is gonna be easy to make though, you don't put the stress on stuff I do. I bet if you would've used the part I did it would've held up fine haha.

There's a million ways to fix stuff, my mind is always shifting between cheapest and strongest...
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm sure you will make it better and stronger!

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:30 pm

I got the pitman arm fixed today, I decided to grind flat spots on the arm and shaft and welded them together instead of changing whole design.

Works good so far! Should be a stronger setup. I used the bigger electrodes for this one so  I got real good penetration on both pieces. I also removed the piece of all-thread because it wasnt really doing anything and it looked kinda dumb.

I did open up the box today as well and it looks fine, I added some Lucas oil stabalizer in the bottom end of it before I pumped it full of grease, just cuz haha.

Should be good to go!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Looks like it should! LOL good work.

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Yup hahaha, thanks mighty!
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Finally got some rain!!!!

Its about time! Hahaha. Nothing too crazy, I've seen 'er a hell of a lot muddier, but I'm glad we got something!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Lucky Dawg!

Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   

Back to top Go down

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next