All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 8/19/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off is underway! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Not sure haha, gonna have to check sometime.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

Forum Rep : 64

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:39 pm

So I rigged up a simple steering damper today for fun.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19509163/675
[/url]

Just used a screen door cylinder like I planned, seems to work pretty good. It does feels like it helps stop the wee bit of bumpsteer.

Also did a little playing around.

I'll probably keep it this way as it seems to be mounted pretty solid, just gotta paint it a cool colour haha. Let me know what ya think
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

Forum Rep : 77

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Interesting. I see it's application. Good Job.

.Forum Moderator -+- Chat Moderator -+- Facebook Page Editor
ATLTF Facebook Page -+- Chatbox -+- How To Upload Pictures

Arrow 2017 Build-off Sasquatch II - I was 100% done but, then I decided to tweak some more.
Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
http://mightyraze.com
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Cool iv'e never seen that before.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks fellas! Figured I'd throw it on there and see what happened, as I do with many things haha
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
Thanks fellas! Figured I'd throw it on there and see what happened, as I do with many things haha
What exactly does it do? make the steering easier and more smooth?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 23

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 pm

It's supposed to slow down steering action and fight it kinda. So if you hit a rock it only breaks your finger half of the time (jk lol)

Looks good Allis! Does it work both ways?
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Yeah like Rich said it basically keeps the bump steer to a minimum. There isn't much anyways, but I still figured I'd add it just cuz. It seems to work both ways pretty good, I was wondering about it making one way really stiff to turn but it didnt really so I'm happy with it! Haha
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Well I was considering swapping a heavier front axle under the MTD, something made of solid steel with greaseable spindles knuckles. Buuuuuutt I thought about having to swap over all my suspension mounts and what not, and I thought that sounded like too much work hahaha.

So I just decided to upgrade my stamped one a bit.

First I wanted to sleeve the spindle bushings and add a couple of grease fittings.

I also wanted to patch up the old hole I cut when I added the angle iron in the beginning of the build.

Finished it off with a piece of rebar hahaha

And I drilled and tapped a couple holes for grease fittings.

Turned out pretty good! Now my bushings wont run dry and start squeaking like usual haha. Tomorrow I'm hopefully gonna cut and re-weld my steering arms to get my ackerman angles back. Let me know what ya think!
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Looks nice and i bet that axle is extremely solid now. I think I might do the same grease thing because I agree with you that the original setup is pretty pathetic.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks! I sure hope she's solid now haha. Yeah some of these stamped axles aren't the best setup for getting dirty and stuff.
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Nice boogers!  I bet it is pretty solid! Don't stop the boogers. One day if you keep it up they may become dimes!

Arrow 2017 Build-off Sasquatch II - I was 100% done but, then I decided to tweak some more.
Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
Mow Money Mods
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 am

theres some meat in there now for sure, I like the thinking behind it, it's like hidden gusseting.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Well they only look like that because I was welding it straight up and down, should've flipped it up in the vise so they turned out better. Haha, oh well.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Mow Money Mods wrote:
theres some meat in there now for sure, I like the thinking behind it, it's like hidden gusseting.

Thanks haha, there should definitely be an improvement in strength compared to stock.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 pm

So I finished my steering work today, just modified steering arms to get my ackerman angles back. I wanted to go for a drive to test it out so I pull on to the dirt track in second gear, I go to shift into third and when I let the clutch out she stops in 'er tracks. I try every gear and nothing, so I finally noticed my right axle is sticking way out amd I assume the snap ring has broken off some how and the axle pulled out of the spider bevel gear. Well I push 'er back to the barn and drop the trans out.

When I pulled the one axle sleeve off the shaft and bearing arent worn out a bit, which is surprising but good.

Just like I thought the snap ring popped off the end of the axle shaft

Then I notice my spider gear pin...

Yeah... not sure how that happen but I'm not happy about it.
But, this in a way might lead to a nice score. I'm not gonna say until the I find out if the deal is gonna go though or not, but I might have another project or two. We'll see!!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 pm

That sux, I bet the snap ring got in there and pried gears apart snapping that shaft. Hope your score happens. Smile

Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Cheers mighty! I sure hope it does as well hahaha. I dont know about the cause of the pin snapping, but I can tell by looking at the ends that it didnt happen very recently. Oh well, If this deal goes through I wont have to worry about it!
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 pm

PS, good to see the front back together!

Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
sadeoo7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

time to doc lock it ! the pin is already in 2 pieces so half of the work is done lol
Back to top Go down
http://gdftech.com
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 pm

mightyraze wrote:
PS, good to see the front back together!

Yeah, now I guess it's time to work on the back end haha.

sadeoo7 wrote:
time to doc lock it ! the pin is already in 2 pieces so half of the work is done lol

I thought you'd say that hahaha. I dont think I'll go that route but I'll keep the broken pin around just in case.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Yay, score!! Haha.

The LT11 has a Peerless 801 which has the differential pin I need, along with lots of other useful parts. And the GT 6000 is gonna become a workhorse/off-roader.
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:34 pm

SWEET! That GT6000 is pretty close in model as the Squatch! I think it is a year or two newer. Looks to still have a horizontal, but in a Kohler!

Awesome!

Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Yeah she's got the horizontal shaft 18hp Magnum opposed. Got 'em both for a real good price too, $FREE. Hahaha
Back to top Go down
mightyraze

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Can't beat FREE! That Kohler run?

Arrow Li'l Red mud mower
Back to top Go down
muckmudd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Nice mowers I wish I got free mowers...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)   

Back to top Go down

MTD off-road build (Mobile Terrain Dominator)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 24 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next